FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male & 41
Province/State: Roskilde
City: Roskilde
101 Tools for Tolerance
May 22, 2002

I found the www.tolerance.org homepage today, it is quite good. There is also a page which lists 101 101 tools for tolerance.

I will quote some of the tools they list there.

Ideas for yourself:

1. Attend a play, listen to music or go to a dance performance by artists whose race or ethnicity is different from your own.

2. Volunteer at a local social services organization.

3. Attend services at a variety of churches, synagogues and temples to learn about different faiths.

4. Visit a local senior citizens center and collect oral histories. Donate large-print reading materials and books on tape. Offer to help with a craft project.

7. Ask a person of another cultural heritage to teach you how to perform a traditional dance or cook a traditional meal.

12. Imagine what your life might be like if you were a person of another race, gender or sexual orientation. How might "today" have been different?

13. Take the How Tolerant are You? A Test of Hidden Bias. Enlist some friends to take this "hidden bias" test with you and discuss the results.

16. List all the stereotypes you can — positive and negative — about a particular group. Are these stereotypes reflected in your actions?

17. Think about how you appear to others. List personality traits that are compatible with tolerance (e.g., compassion, curiosity, openness). List those that seem incompatible with tolerance (e.g., jealousy, bossiness, perfectionism).

18. Create a "diversity profile" of your friends, co-workers and acquaintances. Set the goal of expanding it by next year.

Nice page, good perspectives on the tolerance issues smile

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile dltq PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Raymond M. Kristiansen

Gender & Age: Male, 41
automatic attitudes
May 22, 2002

I have noticed it several times since sept. 11th both in myself and others I know: an automatic (more or less conscious) attitude towards "arabs".

So since I found this site today, I took some tests. Below is the results of one of them. Now I must say that this test is quite tricky. It's a good test, in the sense that I get forced to, by having to do the test fast, dig deeper into my automatic attitudes and perceptions. Well, of course I have been affected by the images after sept. 11th, showing unshaven arabs (ugly/mean looking) who have gone mad and been responsible for killing thousands of people. I guess I let images, and press, and the fact that I only have few arab friends, affect me. To be frank, I got quite shocked by this test result, I didn't think it to be "that bad" (ie. Strong automatic preference for "other people&quotwink. Oh well, guess I need to work on this. - raymond smile

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Other peoples

The score above has already been corrected for the order that you performed the task. If your score was 'Inconclusive', click here. Compare your score above with the distribution of all respondents scores below.

Interpretation Percent of Total
Respondents

Strong automatic preference for Arab Muslims 7%
Moderate automatic preference for Arab Muslims 6%
Slight automatic preference for Arab Muslims 9%
Little to no automatic preference 25%
Slight automatic preference for Other peoples 21%
Moderate automatic preference for Other peoples 12%
Strong automatic preference for Other peoples 20%

If your test showed a "preference" for a group, the result points to a hidden, or unconscious bias. The results of over one million tests show that unconscious bias exists in most of us.

This new test was prompted by the events of September 11, 2001. Suicide pilots, identified as Arab Muslims, crashed airplanes into the World Trade Centers in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. killing about 4,000 people. That attack, and the military response by the United States and other countries in Afghanistan have surely influenced conscious and unconscious beliefs and attitudes.
At this website, we have placed a single test to provide an indication of implicit attitudes toward Arab Muslims. We constructed this test of attitude toward Arab Muslims relative to a category consisting of "other peoples" from around the world. Unfortunately, we do not have data on implicit attitudes toward Arab Muslims prior to September 11, with which the attitudes since can be compared. Nevertheless, we introduce this test at www.tolerance.org because we expect that the events of September 11 and its aftermath open a new chapter in the history of the relations among world communities that differ in religious, political, and social ideology. As with other tests at this site, this one may provide insight into implicit attitudes that may not be in line with conscious attitudes or desired attitudes.

If you are surprised or concerned about your test results, or if you'd like to know more about hidden biases and what you can do about them, go to Hidden Bias - a Primer.

Anthony Greenwald, Mahzarin Banaji, hereafter, IAT Corp., and the Southern Poverty Law Center, hereafter SPLC, make no warranties, either expressed or implied, and expressly disclaim all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular ourpose, and noninfringement. IAT Corp. and SPLC do not make any representations relating to the accuracy, likely results, completeness or reliability of the materials on its web site or otherwise relating to such materials or to any other sites linked to the site. In no event will IAT Corp. or SPLC assume any liability for any damages resulting from or relating to information or omissions on the this web site, including, without limitation, damage to your computer hardware, data, information, materials and business resulting from the use or access or information or lack thereof, available on this website.

Raymond M. Kristiansen

Gender & Age: Male, 41

my gender bias is not that bad. maybe because I know Many excellent female math teachers, and I consider the sciences to not be so split between "male" sciences or "female" sciences.

Your data suggest a slight automatic association between male and science

The score above has already been corrected for the order that you performed the task. If your score was 'Inconclusive', click here. Compare your score above with the distribution of all respondents scores below.

Interpretation Percent of Total
Respondents

Strong automatic association between male and science 42%
Moderate automatic association between male and science 14%
Slight automatic association between male and science 13%
Little to no automatic gender association with science or liberal arts 15%
Slight automatic association between female and science 7%
Moderate automatic association between female and science 4%
Strong automatic association between female and science 5%

« BACK TO FORUM