TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesTechnology[Poll] I don't own my intellect?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male & 40
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
[Poll] I don't own my intellect?
Apr 15, 2001

Well..this topic is near and dear to me since I do a lot of software programming. As most people who use computers on a regular basis are aware....software is not always paid for by its users. I've written and used computer programs for so long that I have a very firm opinion on this stuff (in case you were wondering), and that is: I can never assume that software I write belongs to me as long as it exists in the public domain. As a result, I wind up releasing most of the source code for my applications to the public so that they can at least learn from my work. Now the other big side of the debate is, at this point, screaming "Then how do I make a living off this stuff?" In response I suggest you check out www.microsoft.com or www.sgi.com

As soon as I let the sea of Internet users get their hands on my software I concede that I have no control over what they do with it. Nor will I ever try to influence what that person does with it.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile aforster PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Michael Furdyk

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth
TIG Staff

Gender & Age: Male, 38
Re: I don't own my intellect?
Apr 15, 2001

Although "open-source" programming requires "letting go" of what you might consider your "baby", allowing the general populous of programmers and enthusiasts view, improve, and add features into your stuff makes progress happen so much faster!

Member Profile mfurdyk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
MJ

Poster Rank: Talkative

Apr 27, 2001

The only things that cannot be taken from you
is your knowledge, your spirit, and your soul and even those are lost when you die

Member Profile mj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Aaron Forster

Gender & Age: Male, 40
Free TV's?
May 9, 2001

Following that logic, TVs can technically be taken from a retail outlet, gum from a convenience store. Why is that any different from Intellectual property?

MJ

Poster Rank: Talkative

May 9, 2001

Intellectual property is Software and only is valuable as long as you have a computer. What good is cable if you don't have a TV... What good is a TV without cable...

I think the value lies in that which you place value. If you want to make money off it, then you have better figure out a way to make it your own and not share it unless you get paid.

Maybe we should define Intellectual Property.

Are Laws Intellectual property

Member Profile mj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Nicole Corriero

Gender & Age: Female, 37
City: Windsor
May 9, 2001

I think that if you want to protect your intellectual property, good luck...these days, nothing of that sort is really safe, and there is nothing we can really do about it, except adapt to this change, and try to use it as a more profitable means.

How? I don't know.

Member Profile stinkysmurf PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Aaron Forster

Gender & Age: Male, 40
the value of property
May 9, 2001

SSmurf: It's a bit overwhelming for me as well. I certainly can't think of a nice linear solution to the whole dilemma. Maybe we have to change the way we think about property? Can people loosen their grip on material possessions? Is this a thread more suitable for the philosophy section?

mj: I don't have cable, but I won't be giving away my 27" anytime soon. Does it make sense that I can tell the cashier at a software store:

"I only use MS Office for resumes and reading a few text docs. It's really only worth about $40 to me, can I have it for that instead of $350?"

I'd never buy a software application over $100, so, if my friend were to give me a copy, the author's not really losing a sale. I never would have bought it in the first place. Agreed?

I place very little value in such software, therefore, by your reasoning, its value is very little. I shouldn't have to pay more than $20 a pop!

Laws are intangible creations of intellect they are not belonging to any single person's intellect.

Technically, if laws were Intellectual Property, they could be patented. Are laws something that should be under patent?
Would you pay licensing fees as part of your taxes so that people could be tried in court for drunk driving or child-abuse?

AForster DAdvocate

« BACK TO FORUM