FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female & 49
Province/State: Manitoba
City: Winnipeg
G8 DOTforce
Mar 16, 2002

The G8 Digital Opportunities Taskforce (DOTforce) is one of the leading international fora for determining priorities for international aid/investment in narrowing/closing the digital divide.

This thread has been created to help members of the Youth, ICTs and Digital Opportunities network to monitor G8 DOTforce activities and to discuss opportunities to influence them.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile taikod PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Terri Willard

Gender & Age: Female, 49
February 2002 Implementation Report
Mar 16, 2002

The February 2002 update on the implementation of the DOTforce Action Plan is now online in DOC and PDF forms through http://www.dotforce.org/reports/

From February 2002 until April 2002, DOT Force Implementation Teams will further refine their specific initiatives and produce a final report on activities. The final reports will form the basis of the overall report on progress to be presented by the Canadian Presidency to G8 Leaders in preparation for the G8 Kananaskis Summit (June 26-27, 2002).

Of particular interest to this group may be:

* New Not for Profit Organisation (NNPO) project which aims to define a framework for a new program/organisation which would support entrepreneurship in ICT. The proposed NNPO would offer mentoring, incubating and networking assistance to selected entrepreneurs in developing countries. It will also aim to provide seed capital through an established fund. A complete business plan/framework for the NNPO is expected to be released in April 2002. The provisional target for launching the NNPO is Autumn 2002. (activity of DOTforce Team #4 - Chairs: Accenture (UK), Hewlett Packard (USA), and Telesystem(Canada)).
* Develop a Creative Consultation Process that builds capacity by scoping the global ICT policy environment; developing an effective outreach strategy to develop awareness, trust and mutual understanding; and launching a Network of Thought Leaders and Experts to nurture a new generation of advocates and policy makers (activity of DOTforce Team #5 - Chairs: Markle Foundation (USA) and Glocom (Japan)).

I have no sense as to whether they've been involving young social entrpreneurs or thought leaders in the development of these ideas up to now. If anyone has contacts within the chairing organizations, now might be a good time to do some poking around to see if we can access some draft plans.

Justin

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
haha G8 KAKANANANANNANA-KICK OUTT
Mar 16, 2002

u just wait til Kananaskis My Friend, RIOT!!!!!!!!
I realy h8 tha people that post such crap... we youth can be a "G8" Y b such a spectator & let tha 7 most richest bourgeois idiots handle OUR lives???
I kno sumbodys gonna post sumthin nxt 2 say O WELL HE WUZ TRYIN2 TAALK BOUT THERE WEB DISCUSSIONS listen, I don't care nor would I have time 2 do so.
They just had an European Union summit there... WE made tha difference outside NOT tha rich idiots nside!
SO MUCH CHAOS!!!!!!!! AHHH SO GR8 ANARCHY BABY!
O well whoeva has sumthin nxt 2 post pls say sumthin more intelligent than tha idiots who keep reminding us tha dates & such of when these people decide OUR lives...
thx... Mr.J (GENOA, SEATTLE, CONTINUE THA BATTLE)<ncrease>

Member Profile mrj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Justin

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
apology
Mar 16, 2002

hmmm I seem 2 hav placed taikod n tha "he" reference my bad.. yal need 2 b more gender specific n ur names my sincerest apologies howeva afta goin ova ur post... I found hewlett packards name n there ahhh ME NO LIKE DEM CORPORATIONS! & tha fact that NGO's are allowed n tha "discussion via web" iz nice howeva we r OUTSIDE not INSIDE when they r conducting their meetings... & u seem 2 b interested n sustainable development... these G8 meetings really undermine all tha success of David Suzuki & otha's careers bcuz they do not care about tha nvironment xcept tha $ aspect... I rea[_[_y hate these institutions a good movie would b "Life & Debt" playin here n T.O. really talks bout tha G8,IMF & WB's desicions concerning tha nvironment pretaining 2 Jamaica! Sorry again, mr.J

Member Profile mrj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Terri Willard

Gender & Age: Female, 49
Inside and outside
Mar 16, 2002

Hi mrj. No sweat over the gender confusion -- it happens all the time whether I sign things "taikod" or "Terri". Thank god for TIG photos and the gender field in profiles.

As far as strategies for influencing the G8 -- While not a fan of anarchy or violence, I do believe that the non-violent street demonstrations over the past few years did get several important items onto the G8 agendas. However, progress on those items requires working together to define both the problems and to articulate acceptable solutions. You need to have people both inside and outside the meeting halls making their points in a variety of ways.

You seem more comfortable in the street and may have great skills at getting your point heard through street theatre and other mass communication tactics. Me... by nature, I'm better at sitting inside the meeting rooms telling the stories of friends from around the world and articulating what their needs and ideas are.

The key thing to me is to sort out what it is that we really want to say... what do we want the bi-lateral aid agencies of G8 countries to actually spend their considerable time and effort doing with respect to investing in ICT programs? What kind of involvement of the private sector in closing the international digital divide do we think is useful and desirable? What do we believe about who gets to make the decisions about how the Internet is governed and about who gets to develop national e-strategies??

My goal is to focus on what we believe regarding these issues -- all being discussed and decided upon through the framework of the DOTforce (and the UN ICT taskforce). HOW we communicate these perspectives and engage with the other organizations making these decision may be quite different.

« BACK TO FORUM