Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
[Poll] Technology
Apr 12, 2001

I get the feeling that the next big trend will be to live more naturally. I think that at some point within the next few years, people might get tired of having their cell phones ringing constantly or their e-mail boxes being full or their DVD players breaking...again. I predict that people will find it trendy to say "no....I don't have a cell phone.....I like my privacy and don't really want people calling me all the time, it's too stressful". I mean I can already see traces of it when I speak with adults today. So many of them say shockedh...camping...I love camping. The nature. The peace. No cell phones, no television, no work, no radio, no computers...". I mean doesn't that tell you something about how stressed some of these "make life easy" gadgets are making us? Don't get me wrong...technology is fantastic but I think that at the moment, we are on top of the technological wave and some people are just tired of riding it......how 'bout you? What do you think?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Elana PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Michael Furdyk

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth
TIG Staff

Gender & Age: Male, 38
technology will dissapear!
Apr 12, 2001

I think technology will evolve into a much less obtrusive form over the next 2-4 years. And in 10 years, who knows what technology will mean?

You won't need a cell phone, because your brother will have your brain remind you of the hockey practice in 2 hours.

Knowledge will become digestable! (learning a language as simple as eating an apple?)

People will get tired of maintaining the plethora of devices that they're armed with to deal with their day, and sizes will continue to shrink.

Microsoft has new software called "Priorities", that will get ahold of you differently depending on the urgency or "priority" of the message. Not bothering you if you get a voicemail from a telemarketing firm, but notifying you right away if you get a message from mom.

Member Profile mfurdyk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Alana

human contact
Apr 15, 2001

I think that in the future, one of the "perks" that many businesses will be advertising will be that they offer real human beings on the other end of the telephone line as opposed to computers. I think A LOT of people are tired of touchtone menus and voice mail.

Member Profile Elana PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Aaron Forster

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 40
Re: human contact
Apr 16, 2001

I'm actually undecided about that issue. I work at a large retail company and I'm on the phone trying to solve customer issues quite often. To be honest I can't really decide whether I hate getting a machine on the other end or a rude human. Sometimes having a live person on the other end, who is obviously not willing to go out of their way to help you, is worse than a semi-functional computer operator.

Member Profile aforster PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
MJ

Re: Technology
Apr 27, 2001

I think that cell phones have a place in our world and there is too much saturation right now. It will die down as people are becoming too neurotic and their ears are getting burned.

People actually look strange while they are walking down the street and talking on a cell. They are losing touch with the world around them.

There is no time for the trees, birds, fresh air, blue skies.

Life is getting crazy

Member Profile mj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM