FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: British Columbia
City: Burnaby
Human Cargo mini-series
Dec 30, 2003

Hello there,

My name is Heather Skydt and I'm with CBC Television in Vancouver. I've been a member of the TakingItGlobal site for some time now, and I thought other Canadian members would be interested in a new mini-series the CBC is airing Jan 4, 5 and 6th, 2004. It's very relevant to the issues discussed on the TakingItGlobal website.

You see for the past several months I've been involved with getting the word out for a new dramatic mini-series called Human Cargo. The six-part riveting television drama takes an unflinching look at the world of refugees. The series tells six different stories that intertwine across the globe from war-torn nations to courtrooms to boardrooms.

If you are interested in watching the series - you won't regret it...smile, please check out the information below:

HUMAN CARGO: RIVETING DRAMA SERIES IS AN UNFLINCHING LOOK AT THE WORLD OF REFUGEES DEBUTS JAN. 4 ON CBC-TV

Gritty, shocking and epic in proportion, Human Cargo intertwines six compelling stories for a view of the world of refugees. Human Cargo presents an unflinching look at refugees, the people who sacrifice their lives to help them and those who hinder them.

Moses Buntu (Bayo Akinfemi), a Hutu school teacher, torn from his village and family, escapes imprisonment and torture in Africa before embarking on a grueling journey to Canada. His story threatens to shake the moral foundation of the country and serves as the heart of Human Cargo.

At the Canada-U.S. border crossing, a truckload of refugees is found dead, but survivor Naili Zalmi (Myriam Acharki) an Afghani woman escapes from authorities.

In Vancouver, Nina Wade (Kate Nelligan), an ambitious right-wing politician, goes down in flames in a federal by-election, and is parachuted onto the Refugee Review Board. Her racist views enflame her colleagues and the legal community and eventually test the country's perception of itself. It is Nina who presides over the hearing of Moses Buntu.

Jerry Fischer (Nicholas Campbell), a crusading and committed refugee lawyer, represents Buntu and Zalmi at their refugee hearings. His commitment to his work forces him to choose between his family and his career.

Nina's daughter, Helen Wade (Cara Pifko), on a mission to help others, signs up with an unproven relief agency. She lands in a central African refugee camp in the middle of an ethnically driven conflict. In the same camp, Odette Kaba, the sister of Moses Buntu, battles against shifting hierarchies, disease, child-solider recruitment and starvation to keep herself and her three young children alive.

Human Cargo puts a human face to news headlines about the worldwide refugee crisis, the devastating impact of civil war, and corporate investment in third world countries. Emotionally charged performances combined with breathtaking cinematography paint an extraordinary picture of the refugee experience. Human Cargo is riveting television experience.

The dramatic mini-series starts Sunday, January 4 at 8 pm/8:30 NT on CBC Television, continuing Monday, January 5 and Tuesday, January 6 at 8pm to 10pm.

In conjunction with the series, CBC Television invites viewers to discuss their reactions to Human Cargo with other members of their community by joining lunchtime discussions held at various locations across the country.

To learn more about the series or to locate a lunchtime conversation in your community, please visit http://www.cbc.ca/humancargo.

For further information, contact:

Heather Skydt
CBC Television
Ph: (604) 662-6677
E-mail: hc_outreach@cbc.ca

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile heatherskydt PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Heather Skydt

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: British Columbia
City: Burnaby
Human Cargo series
Jan 7, 2004

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. Unfortunately, the series won't be airing again as far as I know. And, we only have first rights to the production so you can't even buy the series. I'll let you know if anything changes. In the meantime, check out what other people are saying about the series and their personal experiences on CBC's online discussion board at http://www.cbc.ca/humancargo.

All the best in 2004,
Heather

Member Profile heatherskydt PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Terri Willard

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 47
Province/State: Manitoba
City: Winnipeg
Thanks
Jan 7, 2004

Hi Heather,

Many thanks for the heads-up on "Human Cargo". I enjoyed watching it over the past three nights - and enjoyed even more participating in the online forum (http://forums.cbc.ca/webx?13@107.Dmk7aRuATko.6711@.773d3acc/532). Many congratulations to whoever moderated it - s/he did a good job of keeping flame wars to a minimum and technical problems dealt with.

While the show tried to pack too many issues into too few hours of programming (with too many ads), overall I think it was a great introduction to the immigration and refugee system in Canada. Hopefully, the many viewers will be motivated to learn more and to take actions at home and abroad. And that the CBC will make a DVD version which can be made available internationally.

I'd love to have more people on TIG be able to see the show and comment on it from their various perspectives around the world....

Member Profile taikod PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
asdf

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Province/State: Yerushalayim
Re: Human Cargo mini-series
Jan 7, 2004

I really wanted to watch that, but I missed it. Is there a repeat coming up?

Member Profile Jacob PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ansari, Omar Mansoor

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 40
Re: Human Cargo mini-series
Jan 7, 2004

Mee too wanted

Member Profile omarafghan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Playgame123

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Uttar Pradesh
City: Meerut
play game
Oct 16, 2017

Hello friends that the best free online fireboy and watergirl games is here for you i like to play this online so have the most fun to get the site it is the most interesting game on online if you get this go on the web link online fireboy and watergirl i trust you create the best enjoy most people connect this mind game on the net thanks for the play online.

Member Profile Playgame123 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM