TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesTechnologyMTV Global Forum - Colin Powell talks to youth

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Manitoba
City: Winnipeg
MTV Global Forum - Colin Powell talks to youth
Feb 15, 2002

Its amazing what a music channel can accomplish!

Powell Participates in MTV Global Forum
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/02/15/powell.mtv/index.html

Powell Wows MTV Audience
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1822000/1822126.stm

Colin Powell, U.S. Secretary of State, made an appearance on MTV to address the concerns of youth all over the world. MTV felt, that although there has always been a needto create a medium for dialogue, there is an increased urgency, following the events of September 11. They have to ability to reach over 150 countries, and get youth involved in discussions on world wide issues. This was the first Global Forum held by MTV!
“Powell joined a Washington studio audience connected with remote sites at MTV studios in London; Moscow; New Delhi; Milan, Italy; Cairo, Egypt; and Sao Paulo, Brazil. He was asked questions on issues such as the global war on terrorism, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the drug war in Colombia, and the global AIDS crisis.”

Go MTV!!

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile jcottes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Augusto C

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

City: Leiston
powell brilliant!!
Feb 18, 2002

I didnt watch the television show, but as far as I see, Powell showed vague and only ´diplomatic´ answers. He is definitely Bush, more arms than thinking.

Powell go away! At least MTV tried...

Member Profile augusto PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Terri Willard

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 49
Direct questions
Feb 18, 2002

The way this special was set up is quite interesting in that it integrated bother TV broadcast and video conferencing technologies to enable global viewing of a (supposedly) 2-way conversation. This means that there were 2 components to the show:

* Powell having a platform to communicate his/U.S. perspectives on global issues; and
* Young people from 7-8 countries having a chance to ask questions and make statements about global issues.

If you look at it from an e-governance perspective, this is the first example I know of in which youth from around the world have been able to hold a US elected official accountable for actions (e.g through grilling him with difficult questions).

The challenge with these kinds of events is that often they are set up in such a way that assumes that the youth will learn more through the interaction than the adult in a position of power. I didn't have a chance to see the show, but my sense is that it might have been more useful/interesting if the young people had a greater opportunity to tell their stories... to get Powell in a position where he was the listener instead of the PR respondent.

Member Profile taikod PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Augusto C

Re: MTV Global Forum - Colin Powell talks to youth
Feb 20, 2002

Hey!

I finally saw a reprise in MTV. I agree with taikod in his previous message when he says that the form of interaction was ´learn from Powell´.

The youth werent able to reply at least once the answers they´d received by Powell, transforming the show more in a US Government presentation to youth in the world than a really interaction. Disgusting.

BTW, Powell is a really good diplomat. He knows how to drive the answer until the point: ´Government Bush is putting a lot of effort in this issue´; ´We treat everyone equally´; and ´thanks for your government support´.

Ha Thi Lan Anh

Gender & Age: Female, 36
i guess
Feb 20, 2002

Taikod is " she" nto a" he" am i rite? wink
did not have the chance to see the show.. but Augusto good comments! politicians really know how to "entertain" youth spirit with their diplomatic words..

Member Profile Angel_on_broomstick PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Terri Willard

Gender & Age: Female, 49
Public Participation vs. Participatory Democracy
Feb 20, 2002

Yep... she :-)

One of the issues this whole MTV forum (as well as the other TIG discussion on the G8 Education Taskforce - http://www.takingitglobal.org/discuss/showthread.php?threadid=506&tag=mm.nd) raises for me is the difference between public participation and participatory democracy. It is very easy for governments to hold public meetings and roundtables. The rise of the Internet and 2-way broadcast technologies, have expanded to opportunities for consultation and dialogue even further.

It is MUCH harder to ensure that governments and implementing agencies actually build their policies and programs based on the input received. But if we can't figure outhow to take this last step, we don't really have a participatory democracy.

A lot of people are increasingly frustrated with the fact that we have technologies that should allow for greater public participation in decision-making, but don't. Having organized consultations myself, I don't believe that the lack of impact of input is part of some evil conspiracy theory. A good deal of it is the result of beaurocrats struggling to learn how to synthesize very disparate perspectives as they try to develop plans and programmes.

If you are interested in learning more about frameworks for participation (and frustrations with them), take a look at the final report on the "Strategic Framework for Citizen Participation in the Activities of the Inter-American Development Bank - IADB". It is available through http://www.sociedadcivil.org/ in both English and Spanish.

Member Profile taikod PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Daniel Charles

Gender & Age: Male, 43
Strategic intentions
Feb 21, 2002

This is a very interesting discussion raising several interesting questions.

1. What are Colin Powell's motivations/intentions for talking with youth on MTV? Given the current climate of the US war on terrorism, Powel's decision to hold a global forum - allowing youth to directly challenge the foreign policies of the most powerful country in the world - is very neccessary. What an exciting opportunity for youth? Please forgive my excitement, but truly...these things don't happen everyday.

2. What kind of affect, if any, does youth forums like the MTV Global Forum have on US foriegn policies? It appears from initial comments that people are quiet cynical and pessimistic that these kind of events have any impact. We don't believe political puppets who stand there and defend their nations foreign policies on moral and ethical grounds when using military aggression to prove it. There are many contradictions. While I often share this point of view, are we judging Powell's intentions fairly?

Taikod said the forum had two components to show:
* Powell having a platform to communicate his/U.S. perspectives on global issues; and
* Young people from 7-8 countries having a chance to ask questions and make statements about global issues.

Taikod also raises the interesting point about the participatory democratic process. Was the MTV Forum just a forum meant to appease youth (a chance for youth to blow off some steam) or was their a strategic component to the Forum, and for who's gain? Yes, ofcourse it was used to communicate a U.S. perspective on global issues. Powel is an excilent speaker and diplomat (very cool headed and direct). But I think there's more to Powel's intentions that we are realising here.

I think Powell has realised he must take his campaign to the front lines - YOUTH - Future leaders
* Youth are a tremendous untapped resource which his policies need to tap into.
* Youth are the leaders for the future
* Youth have power and influence, especially within their own countries.
* Youth are knowledgeable and concerned for global issues.
* Youth are also impressionistic. He wants youth to know the facts directly from him rather than twisted by the various ideological, religious, political institutions within each of their countries.

Powel cannot ignore these facts. That is something that has been made very clear since Sept. 11. Youth that are unable to express themselves through democratic processes then become furtile breeding grounds for extremists groups.

However, I think we can gain some insight into Powel's diplomacy interests from looking at his character and experience. Powell's personal experience with racism probably taught him alot that should be credited to his interests for involving marginalised groups. After all, he was once part of a marginalised group within the U.S. He knows what its like to be on the outside looking in as he grew up during the civil rights movement. He was kicked out of resturants becuase he was black. He has also seen the effects war/conflict have on people, cultures, children, and other social issues. He is a diplomat with a military background. That's an interesting contradiction.

He also deals with a gun slinging boss, who likes using language like 'axis of evil' and 'evil doers'. I think he has honest intentions behind using a Global Forum to communicate with youth, which perhaps were missing. Why else would he want to place himself in the firing range of angry youth who refer to the U.S. as the devil's advocate.

By chosing to use a MTV audience of millions of vocal youth, Powell has shown his desire to seek an effective medium of communication to target a specific audience-Youth. Genuine or Deceptive? The use of telecommunications has become a strategic tool for the modern diplomat. The US must realise how its policies impact the world. Therefore, Powell must extend his accountability to the world, and not just to the American people. If the American people have not realised this yet, 9/11 was that wake up call. It should have taught them that world issues are their problem too - deserving their political support.

Member Profile DC PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Augusto C

Re: Strategic intentions
Feb 21, 2002

Hi DC! how are you?

I dont completely agree with you specially regarding the intentions you´ve written. I dont think powell is an evil guy and he wants to manipulate the youth using MTV. Possibly he strongly believes in what he´s saying. The point is that is ingenuous to think that this program was really an interaction between the secretary of defense in the most powerful nation of the world and youth aroud the globe. Did you see the show? Powell politically said what he was trained to, only information and broad answers regarding actions.

yes! it is a unique oportunity to speak to someone so representative in the world´s scenario, but was that an legitim situation to exchange ideas with the youth? I doubt so.

------
I think Powell has realised he must take his campaign to the front lines - YOUTH - Future leaders

you can be right on that one. He is talking to youth to influence them in the MTV show, but I didnt see a example about youth influencing powell...

-------
* Youth have power and influence, especially within their own countries.
* Youth are knowledgeable and concerned for global issues.

This two bullets above are not an international fact.

------
Powel cannot ignore these facts. That is something that has been made very clear since Sept. 11. Youth that are unable to express themselves through democratic processes then become furtile breeding grounds for extremists groups.

Dont agree. Must of the youth isntead of join extremist groups only stay in the limbo of the `I dont care`.

------
He also deals with a gun slinging boss, who likes using language like 'axis of evil' and 'evil doers'. I think he has honest intentions behind using a Global Forum to communicate with youth, which perhaps were missing. Why else would he want to place himself in the firing range of angry youth who refer to the U.S. as the devil's advocate.

Point for you! Maybe he wants to exchange idea with youth... no one actually knows. What i do know is that the MTV program was uneffective to do that.

Love,

a.

« BACK TO FORUM