FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male & 43
Province/State: Odes'ka Oblast'
City: Odessa
Walk In Love
Nov 15, 2003

I have previously been a DDP - Criminology student at Washington State University (WSU) in the U.S and also sat on the student government (ASWSU) committee on Public Relations (PR). I have however had to terminate my studies due to financial difficulties.

Besides school, I Co-Chair alongside Prof. Edward Oyugi the Board of Directors of Windows For Young Pepole in Africa (WYPA), which I founded in 1999 shortly after high school. I did my high school at Lions in Kisumu and completed my studies in 1997 and have since been heavily involved with youth and development work.

Since it’s establishment, Windows for Young People in Africa (WYPA) has been working towards strengthening international cooperation among young persons with a view to integrating them into the global system.

I have served as the focal point for the African participants to the global dialogue 10 concluded in 2000 in Hanover, Germany. I was among the world's young leaders from Africa invited to provide youth perspectives to the issues at the Global dialogues. My participation at this meeting was facilitated by the German Technical Cooperation in Kenya (GTZ)

My responsibilities included establishing networks within Africa that would provide an opportunity for young people to discuss and develop consensus on modalities of contribution to society at various levels and also to identify and promote areas and opportunities for multi-stakeholder partnerships for young people’s social and economic development.

Currently, I am the International Events Team Leader of the International Young Professionals Foundation (IYPF). The IYPF is a not-for-profit public company based in Australia that is working in the fields of human rights, poverty eradication, environment and social capital, within the broad context of sustainability.

It utilizes and promotes the resources, skills and knowledge that Young Professionals can bring to this arena in order to create a better world for current and futuregenerations.

My main role is to oversee the organization of the IYPS2004 and to develop and further expand the existing young professional networks around the world.

Other organizations and networks I have worked for Include but not limited to Social Development Network (SODNET), African Youth Parliament (AYP 2003), CARE International in Kenya and the German Technical Cooperation (GTZ).

I have vast experience and knowledge with respect to social change and sustainable development on issues regarding youth training and development, policy research, youth mobilization and development, youth and international relations as well as youth empowerment and participation.

My passion to work with the youth in the past five years in this regard has been guided by my responsibility to make a difference in the lives of the youth throughout the world.

IYPS 2004 is the last major engagement that I am undertaking before I join the University fulltime in late 2004 to further build my professional life.

I am joining the International Students Education Center in Kharkov, Ukraine to study Russian language and Economics before proceeding to Kiev University for International Relations with a major in International Law. Shortly after my first degree, I would like to master in Policy Analysis and Research with specific interests in International Relations (IR). After this I would like to teach at a University for a while before I can proceed on with doctoral studies

I am currently working on a project titled ‘Walk In Love’ with two of my colleagues to raise school fees. Our project page is http://www.projects.takingitglobal.org/WILProject.

We, Eddy Orinda, John Gobanga and Onesmus Orinda seek to organize a walk event from Kisumu to Nakuru, covering a distance of 200Km from the 14th of February 2004 over a period of five days! The event is motivated by our quest to raise funds out of this exercise to enable us to pursue college studies.

Initially, John had begun to study Theology at the Pan Africa Christian College while I was studying Criminology at the Washington State University. We both had to stop indefinitely due to lack of school fees. Onesmus intends to study Art and Design at the University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom.

In view of this, we got together with a common interest to raise funds, hence the inception of the walk event. Our target is to raise a total of One and a half Million Kenya Shillings. We would therefore like to formally invite and seek the personal involvement of well wishers from around the world, both individuals and corporate institutions to identify with us in this undertaking in kind and in cash or both.

We appeal to all who may register their support prior to the event to help facilitate the necessary preparations for the same. We in turn commit to acknowledge all forms of support and donations!

Thank you for accepting to partner with us in this cause. Indeed “true love can walk an extra mile”

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile eorinda PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM