TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesTechnologyhow do young scientits tell the world what they got

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male & 40
Province/State: Maharashtra
City: Pune
how do young scientits tell the world what they got
Jan 6, 2002

well, this is just a feeling.
say if some one is not working in any research organisation, doesnt have any good back ground of knowing any scientist friend, and if such a person suddenly feels after reading all the books, that he has the answer to some question the science says is answered so far, whome does he go and tell about it.
no one will ever take him seriously.
i mean, in todays world, we are losing a lot of science like that, people know about a lot of things that think are unanswerable as of today, but the poor guy has no one to tell.
and even if he tells about it to some scientist, its always a danger that his work might get stolen.

i know this could sound a little stupid to u all,
but i got my own theory of how energy can be created and destroyed (seriously)
but i got no one to tell.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile vivek_lahoti PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Robert Margolis

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 55
Province/State: Florida
City: Port Saint Lucie
Supernovas
Jan 7, 2002

Heavy elements like uranium are most likely the product of supernovas rather than cold fusion. Supernovas have the large amounts of energy to fuse nuclei into larger ones even if the reaction is endothermic (uses energy). The formation of these nuclei use a small percentage of the total supernova energy, so Conservation of Energy still applies. A chemical analogy is the creation of NOx during burning of fossil fuels; they are endothermic, however they come from a percentage of the surplus of energy in the burning of the fuel. They are not from "cold combustion".

The cold fusion that has been proven involves the use of subatomic particles called muons. Muon fusion has been known for years, but is not used since it only occurs at very low temperatures and so cannot be used for practical energy generation.

In a sense, current nuclear reactors use captured solar energy, it is the energy from large dying stars.

Member Profile rsmarg PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Terri Willard

Gender & Age: Female, 49
Province/State: Manitoba
City: Winnipeg
Academic process
Jan 7, 2002

The physical and biological sciences have traditionally relied upon refereed academic journals as the methodology for establishing the credibility of a new idea. There is a great deal of hierarchy in publishing within these journals. Usually a young scientist must publish in university journals (article reviewed by a thesis supervisor), then in national journals (peer reviewed by professors/scientists from across the country), and finally in international journals.

Unfortunately, many universities and countries lack the institutional infrastructure to consistently produce refereed scientific journals. The International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications (http://www.inasp.info/) is working to address this situation.

Your best bet is to:
a) Write up your idea in a 2-3 page concept paper/abstract
b) Identify relevant professors in India (or elsewhere) and approach them one at a time to review your idea and ask them for guidance on further research and publishing opportunities
c) Write/revise the full paper into the formats for identified journals.

You should also join a group like Nexus <http://physics.iop.org/Students/> for student physicists around the world. They can help you to navigate the academic hierarchies and help you to hook up with supportive scientific mentors.

Member Profile taikod PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jason Robinson

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 50
Province/State: New York
City: New York
Re: how do young scientits tell the world what they got
Jan 7, 2002

Now that is an interesting situation you have there...

First of all, make sure your science is acurate and reproducible. Back in the late eighties, the world was taken by storm when researches out of Utah said they discovered 'cold fusion'. Unfortunately, no one else could reproduce their experiment. They became the laughing stock of the scientific community. If you want a future in science, don't make the same mistake.

Secondly, copyright your idea. There are many sites on the web that tell you how to go about doing this. Once you've copyrighted your idea, then you can go to any scientist and share your thoughts. I'd suggest approaching a professor or even a high school teacher.

No disrespect intended but...you do know about the Law of Conservation of Energy, right?

Good luck.

Member Profile Novian PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
vivek

Gender & Age: Male, 40
Jan 7, 2002

Ya Pal, I do know about the law of conservation of energy.
And I ll tell u more, each and every scientist in the world knows that this is one law, we have been following, but is not true. I mean, otherwise how would u explain the creation of the universe.
But… no one could ever prove it false.
And I ll tell u something, may be the researchers of Utah became a laughing stock, but cold fusion does exist.
Other wise how would you explain the existence of substances denser than iron. Let me explain it to you. You know when atoms of elements like hydrogen fuse into a heavier atom, like helium, energy is released.
Well, this energy releasing on fusion goes on only until you reach iron.
After you reach iron, the nucleus of the atom is supposed to be very stable, (as far as ratio of neutrons and protons is concerned) and if at all, you were to fuse two iron molecules, or fuse iron with something else, you would not get any heat out of it. Instead, heat will be absorbed. That’s what is cold fusion. (well, this has been proved already)
And the very fact, that iron is not the heaviest element known to us, shows that somewhere, somehow, cold fusion is going on. And on a very large scale.
Otherwise, how would you explain the existence of substances, like uranium, which are so heavy, that they show radiation and undergo decomposition even without you messing around with them.
I could explain nuclear physics in much more detail to you, but I don’t know if its all a bouncer to you.

And as far as my theories are concerned, I have been making theories right since my 6th std. (junior high school as you call it in America) and I am serious about each and every theory of mine. I can PROVE what I say. I am not talking baselessly

And yes, I think you gave me a good advice to first discuss it with someone who knows things a lot better than I do.
And if he says that may be I have some stuff in my theory, I ll get the copyrights done.
Thanx a lot.

vivek

Re: Supernovas
Jan 8, 2002

Originally posted by rsmarg
Heavy elements like uranium are most likely the product of supernovas rather than cold fusion. Supernovas have the large amounts of energy to fuse nuclei into larger ones even if the reaction is endothermic (uses energy). The formation of these nuclei use a small percentage of the total supernova energy, so Conservation of Energy still applies. A chemical analogy is the creation of NOx during burning of fossil fuels; they are endothermic, however they come from a percentage of the surplus of energy in the burning of the fuel. They are not from "cold combustion".

The cold fusion that has been proven involves the use of subatomic particles called muons. Muon fusion has been known for years, but is not used since it only occurs at very low temperatures and so cannot be used for practical energy generation.

In a sense, current nuclear reactors use captured solar energy, it is the energy from large dying stars.

My dear friend, so u mean to say that there is no uranium on the sun?
and that if there is no uranium on the sun, how come theres uranium on the earth. certainly, earth wasant close enough to any supernova blast.
and why only uranium for that matter, anything heavier than iron would require cold fsion for its formation.
more over, even if it happens only in a supernova blast,
it still is cold fusion.
i mean, there actually are conditions (although very extreme) where matter would think its more stable to be one molecule of uranium than two molecules of plutonium.
thats how i justify cold fusion.
what my point is, endothermic ay not mean uses energy at all. tomorrow we could be saying, endothermic as well as exothermic both are energy generating.
if heat is energy, even cold is energy.
forget it.

Robert Margolis

Allow me to clarify
Jan 8, 2002

Vivek,

I was using uranium as an example. Supernovas are the most likely reason for the formation of elements heavier than iron. Our solar system is probably NOT a first generation system. This means that previous generation stars (much larger than our sun) have gone supernova over the past few billions of years and supplied the heavy nuclei that went into the formation of our solar system. There may be a little bit of various heavy nuclei in the sun. That is quite possible.

Regarding endothermic reactions as a source of energy, if a reaction requires more energy to produce it than the resultant energy of the reaction, it is inherently not suitable for use as an energy source. Hot and cold are measurements relative to each other rather than forms of energy. Heat is the energy that is transferred between the hot and cold masses. If one is using heat to do work, then one must have a temperature difference in order to produce work (i.e. the heat engine).

There are energy conversion techniques that do not use heat (direct conversion devices that convert charged particles to kinetic or electrical energy). Once reactions can be controlled whose products are all charged particles (there are several in research), perhaps the heat engine will become obsolete.

Please let me know if I have confused or inadvertently left something out.

vivek

Jan 12, 2002

when i satrted off by saying energy can be created or destroyed, i was half a bit serous. i mean, i have things to prove.
i am not talking baselessly.
i could be wrong. but i could be right also...
as of now, taikod has been greatest help.

rsmarg...
yep, i totally agree with u, ours is not the 1st generation solar system.
so u can say, that may be all the heavier mass, heavier than iron could be generated by supernova blasts.
but do u realize, that supernova blasts are not so common.
they are quite rare.
and anything heavier than iron is not all that rare.

may be you would say, coz its been happening since millions and millions of years, ad this is probably the 10,000th generation.
agreed.
so, u are going with the assumption that no sort of matter, heavier than iron is created on the sun. (coz otherwise u would be agreeing to cold fusion.)

fine, but how could you justify the matter in a black hole.
i mean, black holes are just residues left of huge stars blasting off. (a supernova blast could generate a black hole)
and actually, i would say, that the material of a black hole was always being created and was alwasy ther.
but the star never showed its full gravitational potential due to some sort of negative gratitation.

ok, forget abt the black holes, u will say there still was a explosion to make it happen
what abt the white dwarfs
they are created just coz the star runs out of hydrgen.
how do u justify the residue left on it.
it didnt come from any supernova blast.

the point i am trying to make is, there exist conditions in which materials fuse...
even if its in a supernova blast.
and the very thing that heat is energy, is what i want to change.
i mean, i could design engines which will work if you provde them with fuel which will do endothermic reactions
insted of exothermic reactions.

Robert Margolis

Hmmm...
Jan 12, 2002

Vivek -

You are correct that Terri provided the best direct answer to the original question on how to contact and publish. I guess I get too wrapped up in the engineering.

I am a little confused as to your last post. If one uses a reaction that releases less energy than is required to obtain the reaction, then the reaction is not able to be used as an energy source (endothermic).

It sounds like you are advocating going away from thermal conversion. This is definitely possible (in fact desirable), however this is not the same as using an endothermic reaction. There are several nuclear reactions that produce net energy (exothermic) yet the products are all charged particles, so can be directly converted without heat. Deuterium-Helium3 is the most researched candidate, however there are several others. Reactions can be both exothermic, yet not involve heat.

Jace

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 36
Province/State: South Australia
City: Adelaide
Jan 12, 2002

I dont know what your idea is but i had one about energy a while ago, but then my physics teacher told me that it cant be done so...ill just say that if its got anything to do with perpetual motion or creating energy from nothing well it cant be done...you'll probably have a good laugh at this *stupid 17 years old doesnt know anything* but leonardo da vinci had this idea as well so laugh at him.

Although i still have an idea along those lines that would work except its a bit far out...so yeah

Member Profile Jacesnel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mike

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Western Australia
City: Perth
is it just me
Jan 13, 2002

Is it just me who thinks the spelling mistake in this thread title should be changed? big grin

I somehow missed this thread at the beginning. Im not sure where we're at. So, i'll avoid the trouble of trying to read all these posts.

- - -
Pred.

Member Profile Predattack PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM