TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesCultureIntercultural Dialogue on Diversity

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Female & 32
Intercultural Dialogue on Diversity
Apr 27, 2009

What does culture mean to you? How does it affect your outlook on life, and of the people around you? Everything a person does is a product of his/her culture, and in today's very globalized world,there are probably very few people who are affected only by one culture alone. What can be done to preserve cultural diversity, and how can cross-cultural dialogue can create new solutions?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile mekhala PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
speakup

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 32
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Re: Intercultural Dialogue on Diversity
May 5, 2009

Cultural diversity is important because it makes life interesting and colourful! I believe that we can learn a lot about life from other cultures. We need to be open to experiencing other cultures, just like we need to be open to new ideas.

I think the best way to improve intercultural dialogue is to create situations where different cultures meet and discuss ideas. I know about other cultures and ideas because I have lived, studied, and become friends with people from different countries.

Taking It Global is an amazing website because it allows people from different countries to discuss ideas with each other. The sad thing is that there are very few actual dialogues here. People ask questions and people give answers. That's it. Mostly. In true discussions, there is a continuous "back-and-forth" motion where people comment about what others have said, they agree or disagree with each other, justify their beliefs, challenge each other, etc. This process allows us to truly understand each other, learn, and change our own points of view.

If anyone really cares about this topic, then TIG is the perfect place for you to improve things.

Member Profile speakup PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Suraya Asmal

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Province/State: KwaZulu-Natal
City: Bergville
May 29, 2009

Culture forms an integral part of our identity, it could arguably even be the foundations of our identity – so culture is important, it helps define who we are, and how we got to be who we are.

Here in South Africa we’re fortunate enough to come from a very culturally diverse society, and are influenced in various ways by all the cultures that we are, on a daily basis, exposed to. In terms of globalisation, people have been greatly influenced by media imperialism and we’ve adopted a very Western Value based outlook on life, although people here are open to the ideology of embracing a more Afro-centric approach on life.

Cultural diversity needs to be promoted on a greater scale, we should be comfortable with our cultural heritages, and promote them. Life would be very mundane if we all lived similar lifestyles and adopted similar beliefs (although in certain circumstances, it would be more peaceful!). I personally believe that people should be taught intercultural studies from a young age so as to establish an environment of peace, tolerance, respect and acceptance.

As for the question on how cross-cultural dialogues can be used to create new solutions, it’s evident that people approach different problem solving methods in different cultures, and there even exist similarities, we should embrace different approaches that work in different circumstances from various cultures so as to achieve sustainable solutions to problems we’re faced with in life smile

Member Profile Suraya PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
missclash

Gender & Age: Female, 34
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Jun 4, 2009

Culture is the colors of the world! Without culture diversity, the world would be such a boring place to live...but people are leaning towards the western culture and modernity nowadays so how do we bring out cultures back into our daily lives?

I'm doing an MA project right now about this and I'm inspired by the students in my class, in which all of us come from different culture background but we all look the same! I think cultural diversity can be preserved through communication and sharing to one another about your cultures and be proud of your culture background.
It's true that globalization has exposed us to different cultures but it can also cause cultural imperialism where a dominant culture impose its own culture into the country to create a hegemony nation.

I think culture preservation can be done through the people itself and yes cross-cultural dialogue can open up the communication between cultures and encourage the sympathetic and more understanding between each other, thus keep cultural diversity alive wink

Member Profile missclash PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Playgame123

Province/State: Uttar Pradesh
City: Meerut
play game
Oct 16, 2017

If you like the card so get the latest mind free online spades games it is the most inserting game online i trust you get the best rank to join to the online spades i hope you wanna to play this so go on the online and have the full enjoy if you play hard so you create the high score thanks for the play this on the net.

Member Profile Playgame123 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
mtmunoz

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Ontario
City: Vaughan
Nov 27, 2017

Member Profile mtmunoz PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM