TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsFeatured ForumGrowing Up DigitalIf you were a teacher....

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female & 36
Province/State: New York
City: Rochester
If you were a teacher....
Oct 15, 2007

If you were a teacher, how would you ideally assess your students on what they had learned?

This post was edited on: 2007-10-16 at 10:07 AM by: Kirsten (Moderator)

This post was edited on: 2007-10-24 at 08:25 PM by: karen doktor

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile kmdoktor2 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kirsten

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Re: IF YOU WERE A TEACHER....
Oct 16, 2007

That's an interesting question. Currently the way to assess students is to generically test them with tests, pop quizzes, and essays. This is especially common in the Unites States, I feel, as they rely heavily upon exams such as SATs (College Placements Exams) to determine which further education path a student should take. But are these methods ideal? Definitely not- although I am now beyond the age of writing exams and getting nervous about pop quizzes in class I still do remember what it was like to get stressed out over these tests and worry about if I had remembered every single word my science textbooks said. For many students these exams are not the best method of evaluation- it's not a case of them not knowing the answer, but in a lot of cases it is nerves and stress that take over.

Technology has also changed the way that people are seeking knowledge- people can Google to their heart's content and find out everything they need to know! Should teachers use technology more to engage students in class? In North America, the answer is probably yes since a lot of students spend many hours on the computer- why not integrate education and learning into an environment that they already enjoy?

However, this I know is a very North American perspective and does not reflect a large percentage of the world's students who do not have easy access to computers- so my question is what for your region would be the best way to assess your learning? Is it written exams, oral exams, creative projects?

Member Profile kirstenjordan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
qiyi

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 42
Oct 19, 2007

I Would compile an ongoing profile of the students
work. Include photographs and anecdotes. This should enable you to clearly see the students progress. Exams and essays can often stress students resulting in them not being able to achieve optimal marks.
smile

Member Profile qiyi PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jo

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Oct 19, 2007

If I were a teacher I would put an emphasis on class participation. I would also be open to receiving emails or starting a discussion board (similar to WebCT) for students to discuss the material in addition to classroom discussions. I think that participation should count for at least 20 percent of the student’s grade since the real world expects you to be able to apply knowledge, not just regurgitate information you read from a text book. I think that regular testing is important to hold up certain standards but there should be room for students to express their ideas and opinions in a creative way and not just through filling in bubbles on a Scantron sheet which can make anyone feel like a robot.

Member Profile JoAnneT PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Nick Yeo

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Oct 19, 2007

If I were a teacher...

I would make it mandatory that my students include other knowledge they are currently learning into my class - ie. if I taught African history, and they recently read China Achebe's Things Fall Apart in their Literature class, I would expect them to, at the very least, use the novel as a launching point for discussion.

I would start each lesson off with a question and answer period - so that they can raise any concerns/challenges they had with the previous lesson.

I would use a mixture of tests, written essays and oral presentations to assess their learning. I would also give everyone one chance to argue their result - if they can convince me that their knowledge/understanding of the subject matter is sound, then I would improve their mark.

Member Profile DeepEndZen PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Nikki

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

City: Ottawa
Oct 19, 2007

I remember how much I hated quizzes and exams, now that I am in university I am not quite as feaful of them, however, I still do not like wrtinig them. I agree with what others have said about exams and tests not being the most ideal way to determine what someone has learned, becuase normally all that they accomplish is the scaring of hard working students. I think that personal projects or assignments are much better. They allow students to show thier creativity. Unlike class participation, even the shy kids can contribute something.

Member Profile nallison36 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
~Mary*Anne~

Province/State: São Paulo
City: San Paulo
Oct 19, 2007

To be quite honest, it depends on the subject. I am an English language teacher, and I used to be a computer teacher.

As a computer teacher, assessment would be based on the completion of exercises and the ability to present what was asked (like excel graphs, formated word documents, etc.) and they would be required to explain how they did it. There were a bunch of those exercises through out the year... As far as typing, the assessment were based on the results of the typing program that measures wpm and accuracy, as well as observation to see if they were using the proper hand positions...

As an English language teacher, due to the fact that all my students are ESL learners, there is no way to avoid the traditional exams, nor am I allowed to, because I work for a school that is exclusively for languages, and we HAVE to do checkpoint tests at certain lessons, but we also include conversation, other in class projects and participation in the grade as well, and follow their progress throughout the school year, trying to figure out the best way to get each student to learn (as we are well aware that different kids learn in different ways), but there is no way other way of assessing if they know how to read, write, listen and speak other than asking them to read, write, listen and speak...

Member Profile maryanne2001 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mike Patrick

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Abuja Capital Territory
City: Gwagwalada
Oct 19, 2007

Some question! It seems strange I have never asked my self this question maybe because I dont really envy teachers. They do one of the most thankless job on the surface of the earth. Sometimes i sit in class and watch my professors try to get a point across without being understood and I sense frustration - I dont envy them.

All the same, if I am unluckyenough to land a teaching job, I would prefer to asses my students from their contributions on issues in class then in writen exams.

Member Profile Fisherman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Josh

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Province/State: Texas
City: San Antonio
Oct 20, 2007

kmdoktor2 wrote:

If you were a teacher how would you ideally assess your students on what they had learned?

This post was edited on: 2007-10-16 at 10:07 AM by: Kirsten (Moderator)

How would I "ideally" assess my students...?

I would assess my students by spending a LOT of one-on-one time with them, getting to know every aspect of their personality and behavior, all the while challenging them with new subject matter and encouraging exploration, critical analysis, and personal growth. Then, my assessment would not include a letter grade, percentage, or ranking of any kind. My assessment would be a very carefully written account of the student's performance, potential, and areas requiring special attention.

After all, you did say "ideal"... wink

Member Profile Erlandsen PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tiffany

Gender & Age: Female, 33
City: Timmins
Oct 22, 2007

I would definately focus less on testing and examination. As someone before me stated, it only creates stress and leads to students doing poorly. In college, we never really had exams and I think that was a good thing. We had activites and group projects to be completed that applied what we had learnt. I really like this idea and believe it should be used more often. I understand that in some cases it's next to impossible to do this but it should be done whenever the opportunity arises. I also think that class discussions are a good idea. It can give students other perspectives and give them a chance to take note of information that they might not have caught the first time around.

Member Profile TFurnissTimmins PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
steppewind

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Province/State: Astana
City: Astana
Oct 22, 2007

hmmmmmmm....if I was a teacher I would be more understanding. sometimes when students don't get some themes or miss some material the teacher assocciates for them as terrorist. he only critisize u for missings, for not serious attitude to school. student becomes depressed and begin missing lessons again bcs he knows that at school there is a cruel TEACHEEE_E_ER who will tell him off. he drinks antidepressive medicines and visits phsycologist. it is better to be friend not dictator to make pupils closer to u

Member Profile nomadgirl PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
mohammad Dify Al-sabaa

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 34
Province/State: Al Qahirah
City: Madinat an Nasr
Oct 24, 2007

if i was teacher i will learn my students by the recent psyco-mental systems as mind map systen and rapid reading

Member Profile DIFY-SABAA PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Olga

Province/State: Kemerovo
City: Kemerovo
Re: If you were a teacher....
Oct 25, 2007

If I were a teacher I would assess my students from the point of view of their educational goals. E.g. if they want to learn something just for pleasure, the assessment will be just checking what they really learned. If they learn something to use it in reality then it'll be a test on practical usage of what they learned. If they learn something to be able to explaine it to the others it'll be checking their theoretical knowledge of the subject.
Frankly speaking, I'm a language university teacher and now my experience shows me that there should be two ways of checking knowledge and skills and assessment:

- THEORETICAL TESTS: there should be all kind of tests, papers, "not-for-life" tasks included. There the students should show their knowledge of history and development of the science/subject studied, slightest details, etc. In brief, the things that indicate to their interlocutors that they (interlocutors) are communicating with highly-educated people!

- PRACTICAL TEST: all kind of tasks on USAGE. E.g. at a language class a person should be able to do a just-on-the-spot task like discussing some topic without preparations, etc. In other sciences it might be anything beginning with making a design of a building ending with producing acid from some components and telling where it can be used further. Such kind of tests show who is who and what students really learn (that's true assessing) as an educator can see (smell/hear/touch) a real PRODUCT.

And the best way to assess something is making a person act ALONE in some situation where s/he should show their skills. E.g. when a person is sent to study a foreign language to the country where nearly no one speaks their native languages. It's a real "extreme sport" and sometimes a bit cruel, but I suppose it's worthy of trying because people are never completely under control and in isolation even in such situations. And PRODUCT is seen clearly!

My best regards to the author of Wikinomics,
Olga

P.S. Hope I didn't scare students! smile

Member Profile Roness PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
KUSHERKI

Gender & Age: Male, 44
Province/State: Abuja Capital Territory
City: Gerki
Nov 16, 2007

The first thing I would do, whenever possible, would be to take them out of the classroom and start teaching them in a more natural environment .
I shall encourage class participation and individual challenge in sort of Debate and group dicussion.The class-room shall be full of humor and sarcasm .I shall remain open and tolerate their inadequancies.big grin

Member Profile kusherki2004 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Madelaine Hamilton

Gender & Age: Female, 36
Nov 18, 2007

i would assess my students using as many different assessment types as I could think of - people learn in so many different ways so they should also be tested in many different ways - not just always writing exams!

Member Profile cupofteaforme PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM