« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Re: Going
Oct 8, 2010

My school likes to collect garbage to go "green." But you can also do things like plant trees and recycle. cool

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Jaymie PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Cathy Nesbitt

Gender & Age: Female, 52
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Dec 27, 2010

Worm composting is a wonderful green activity for schools. Worms are going to play an ever-increasing role in waste management and soil production. Worms offer a tremendous learning opportunity! Red wiggler worms are the ideal worms for vermicomposting. They consume approximately half their weight/day in food scraps. They convert food scraps and paper into nature's finest fertilizer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Cathy Nesbitt
Learn to love a worm. They are angels of the earth.

Member Profile Wormgirl PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
gpjprague-omars

Gender & Age: Male, 15
Province/State: Hlavni Mesto Praha
City: Prague
Re: Going "Green" in schools
Feb 9, 2011

I think that we can try to save electricity for example by switching off everytime when we leave our classroom

Member Profile gpjprague-omars PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ceamjuan

Gender & Age: Male, 16
Province/State: Mexico
City: Mexico
Re: Going Green
Feb 16, 2011

Going Green in Schools
That is a great idea!
In my school we are planning to make an ecologycal garden.
I supose we are going to remove some concrete and make a green area to walk.
The purpose is to make one garden in each of our schools.
We are visiting nature friendly buildings here in Mexico to learn about its efficiency and system.
We are planning also to make a campaign in other schools to make other green areas in the area.
I am going to install some things in my home to make it less contaminant and going to expand my garden and plant many more plants.smile

Member Profile ceamjuan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
sarahfortheearth

Gender & Age: Female, 19
Feb 18, 2011

we dont do anything green
we dont recycle
we throw tons of food away
we use too much of everything, how do i make them see we need to go green?sad

Member Profile sarahbob PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jessie

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Female, 17
Province/State: New York
City: Rochester
Feb 21, 2011

Hi I'm Jessica from New York...

At my school the cafeteria trays are made of styrofoam which is really bad for the earth. So I am working on a plan to ask my principal to change the trays to reusable plastic or made from recycled cardboard. There are also trays made from sugar cane. So I haven't made my proposal too him yet because I am still workin on what I want to say (I just started thinking about it a few days ago.)

Any other ideas about what I can do to make my schools green? smile

Member Profile Guitarstar PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Janice

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Feb 22, 2011

Hello all,

To answer your question, Jessica, I think switching to reusable containers and trays are a great idea. There's actually an initiative by Tread Lightly which may be of interest and that's the LOW carbon lunch. That may be a fun way to get your school involved, maybe have one once a month, etc. You can find more info at http://treadlightly.tigweb.org/getinvolved/

There's also the ecological footprint challenge you can suggest in your schools - students can all sign up FOR FREE and challenge teachers, students and family members to reduce your ecological footprint. More details are at http://treadlightly.tigweb.org/challenges/.

Other ideas would be to start using scrap paper. Schools use so much paper that it would definitely help if we minimized that number. For example, students drawing in art class can use the other side of paper if the first side has already been used. Buying recycled paper or FSC paper definitely helps too because you're not cutting down trees that are unsustainable. You can create contests or have "sustainable week" where classrooms can collect points to see who rode their bikes or took public transport to school instead of cars, turning off classroom lights when they're done and turning off water taps in the bathrooms when you're not using it, etc. and there can be a winner. Use a hand dryer instead of paper towels.

I hope this helps!

This post was edited on: 2011-02-22 at 01:44 PM by: Janice

Member Profile JaniceL PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Nicole

Feb 24, 2011

Hello I am Nicole from the United States! It is so great to see the members from other countries being so active in the green movement. I think it is a great thing and we need to purify our environment for both our health and the earth's. It is especially a great thing to have this green movement inherited in schools to teach the students the right way to treat the environment before they inherit bad habits. Even though I feel this is a great movement, I feel that for some it has become more of a trend than something for the betterment of the world. With all of the "green" water bottles and other miscellaneous items I just feel that it is more of a fashion statement....which may be a good thing. What is everyone's take on this? Thanks!

Member Profile nmetzler PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jessie

Feb 24, 2011

Nicole, i don't know what I think about that. I think it is good that word has spread about recycling and other environmentally friendly activities but sometimes companies just use it as a marketing campaign. It depends on if the product is legitimately good for the environment or not.

Nicole

Feb 25, 2011

Yes! That is what I mean...I wonder if some companies are really going as "green" as they could or if they are just saying they are doing this to market their names. Some of the biggest companies in the USA such as Target, Coca Cola, and McDonalds are going green but it doesn't seem to me that they are struggling for publicity so that may not be the case. Definitely something to look into though!

Jessie

Feb 25, 2011

I read about this in the book "Get Real." It said how when Walmart started selling food that was organic and eco friendly products, some activists were happy. Walmart is such a big company that any move it makes to help the earth is a shot heard round the world. But some people disagreed because Walmart wouldn't stop shipping its products around the world and paying its workers unfair wages, etc. Someone (i forget his name) said, "There's something gross about buying a healthy carrot from a sick company."

Click here to see a news story about one of Walmarts supposedly ecologically responsible products.

Nicole

Feb 27, 2011

Wow that article was insane! That was exactly what I was writing about before though. The idea that Walmart is selling this "environmental friendly" jewelry but the workers making the jewelry are treated badly, the mining operations to get the jewelry are polluting the environment, and underneath the varnish, the jewelry is no different than any other jewelry being sold! That is a prime example of Walmart using the "going green" term to sell more products when they are really lying to all our faces. I would not be surprised if other companies are practicing these tactics also.

Nicole

Mar 3, 2011

Jessie I also just wanted to say that it is wonderful you are educated on topics such as going green and that you are active on this web site. You are 13 and it is wonderful that you are being active and staying up to date with topics such as this one. As you are on this discussion board I am assuming that you are going green in your middle school and that is wonderful. You are our future so KEEP IT UP!! smile

Joli Brock

Province/State: Texas
City: McKinney
Mar 8, 2011

My students campaigned to cut our school's paper footprint. Please visit our wikispace at www.cuturpaperfootprint.wikispaces.com and tell us what you think!

Member Profile jbrock PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Rodrigo LPU

Gender & Age: Male, 17
Province/State: Mexico
City: Mexico
Mar 9, 2011

Ok here I go, I got an idea for tall building schools and things alike something most studentes, or at least Mexicans, like to have a place to be like relaxed of feel in touch with nature or a little bit of green if you're one of these you'll be with me that roof gardens are the solution because you can go in recess and relax... go away from the stress of school and the city and arrive to a peaceful place where you can breathe pure air... what you think about this? would you do it if it was in your hands if not tell me why or why not? suggest topics and keep in contact with me this will help us improve not as country or as people it will help us as a PLANET!!!

Member Profile ceamrodrigocastillo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM