TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesPeace & ConflictIs Peace Possible?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Is Peace Possible?
Jan 27, 2010

It's a simple question. With all the greed and anger involved in basic human nature is peace even attainable?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile animalrights89 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
baynham goredema

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Re: Is Peace Possible?
Feb 13, 2010

Only the Prince of Peace who is Jesus is the author of true peace. Man by himself cannot achieve peace. But unfortunately the world is destined for destruction so peace on this earth by the definition you have will not be attainable. Because of the very things that you list. But you and anyone else who would accept Christ can be assured of the "peace that surpasseth all understanding"(Phillipians 4vs6-7- The Bible)

Member Profile bayhaus PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Uvin

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

City: Colombo
Feb 15, 2010

peace can be achieved if all we people co-operate each other and live in harmony...but its not happening...

This world is very competitive anyone would do anything to get what he/she wants...So then there's quarrel between people and then a conflict between two cities and then a war between two countries and ultimately death....So we must try to help each other and live in peace

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

Uvin Madurapperuma
Sri Lanka

Member Profile uvin PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Feb 15, 2010

I personally feel that peace will never be possible. Perhapes in certain areas, but as far as universally, I do not think it is even possible. I feel that each states looks out for its own interests, and that is compleatly natural and expected, but that because of this peace is unattainable.

Uvin

Feb 15, 2010

Yes you are correct peace is unattainable as we humans fight for power...But we can attain peace step by step if the poeple co-operate...

First between families, then cities, then countries and ultimately the whole world...I don't think that it is achievable but we can always try eventhough we know that it won't work

Please comment....

Uvin Madurapperuma

baynham goredema

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Feb 16, 2010

Good point you raised there Uvin, the family unit is where it all starts and with whole individualistic lifestyles being pushed today peace will be difficult to achieve.

Member Profile bayhaus PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Uvin

Feb 16, 2010

Yes so if we can have peace between the families we can achieve the ultimate goal- peace throughout the world

So lets all get together and work together and share thoughts this way..

Uvin Madurapperuma

Katherine

Feb 16, 2010

I agree that the family unit is an important part of righting the wrongs in the world, but I do not think it is the ultimate answer because even though there is this idea that the family is all important, to some it isn't. Some people have abusive family members or they behave in ways that cause other members to distance themselves. I agree family is important but I think peace ultimately comes from respect of one another, be they family or not.

Sheroze Sheriffdeen

Gender & Age: Male, 22
Feb 16, 2010

I agree. People need to be changed within. Families can make or break people. But it is not the only way to tap into people's hearts. Schools for instance.

But what must be achieved is that the message of peace going deep into peoples hearts.

Attaining peace is possible if hard. But it's always within us to change the world by first changing ourselves. Being the change in you, makes the change in the world you want to see.

But it's always hard to give up your needs and step down to imake peace. Only with determination you can make this world a better place.

Member Profile sheroze1123 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Morgan Fraser

Province/State: Ontario
City: Ottawa
Mar 2, 2010

I personally do not belief that peace is possible. Even in a small room of people there are many different values, morals, beliefs, and opinions. Having everyone live is harmony and get a long is extremely unlikely.

In order to have world peace, I belief that we all have to share the same religious, morals, values, ethic, opinions, etc. The chance of that every happening is slim to none.

Peace for the entire world is a wonderful dream, but it is just a dream.

Member Profile mfraser PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Morgan Fraser

Mar 2, 2010

In response to Katherine:

I agree with your statment. Family is just on unit, and in today's world most families are not even in peace within themselves. There's abuse (emotional, physical, sexual) to its members. Divorce rates are extremely high, and it's a very normal thing in our society. If a family unit cannot even keep the peace, just imagine on a larger scale.

Katherine

Mar 2, 2010

Perhaps world peace is a waste of time and energy. Instead, maybe our focus should be directed toward resolving conflict with as little violence and conflict as possible. But this whole "why can't we get along" stuff is just a waste of time. It's a dream like someone said, but dreams have their times and place as well, and in global politics I don't feel that they belong. Sad but true.

Morgan Fraser

Mar 2, 2010

Agreed, a peaceful world would be wonderful. But, it is the least of our worries. We should be working to end world hunger, and curing diseases.

It would be great even if we can end the discrimination in our own communities. Many people's lives would be more peaceful.

Katherine

Mar 3, 2010

I think that we should work to solve world problems but it seems that sometimes we forget about local ones. Yes curing disease and such is important but let’s not forget about helping those in our own community who are hungry. People want to help those in Africa but won't donate to local canned food drives. Explain that to me. We want to stop the human rights violations in other countries yet little to no funds are dedicated to abuse shelters. I don't want to use the world hypocritical but it is the best one I can think of to describe the situation.

Morgan Fraser

Mar 3, 2010

That's very true. People aren't even willing to help those in their community. Why is it that the less fortunate are seen as a disgrace? How is it fair to only to empathize with third world counrties? Yes, they do need help, and they deserved to be helped. But when people see a homeless man in their community they look at him with disgust & are less willing to empathize with him.

« BACK TO FORUM