TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesPeace & ConflictAn Introduction to Community Peacebuilding and Cultural Sustainability

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male & 62
Province/State: Maryland
City: Rockville
An Introduction to Community Peacebuilding and Cultural Sustainability
Sep 11, 2013

I have recently (August, 2013) created a new website: Community Peacebuilding and Cultural Sustainability (at www.cpcsc.info ).

The new website consolidates four websites (which have been archived), and thus includes “homebases” for The Interfaith Peacebuilding and Community Revitalization (IPCR) Initiative, Community Visioning Initiatives Clearinghouse, Community Teaching and Learning Centers Clearinghouse, and my Collected Writings. There is also a “homebase” for my “Returning to College Coursework” project, two Discussion Forums, and a “Key Links” section.

I am introducing this new website with a Three Part Series, which consists of the following documents:

“A List of Ten Critical Challenges” (Part 1) (5 pages)
“A Constellation of Initiatives Approach to Overcoming the Ten Critical Challenges” (Part 2) (9 pages)
“The Treasured Wisdom of Religious, Spiritual, and Moral Traditions—is it is the ‘tool box’?” (Part 3) (27 pages)

All 3 documents in the series (and a 5 page intro to the series) are accessible at http://cpcsc.info/about-this-website/

We must be honest with ourselves: we are in uncharted territory, for there is no culture or association of societies that ever existed on planet Earth which has had to resolve the kind of challenges the next few generations of people will have to resolve. I am hoping that the “List of Ten Critical Challenges” piece can help facilitate more meaningful discussions on the subject of the most pressing challenges of our times.

The “Constellations of Initiatives” piece is an effort to describe collaborative problem solving and citizen peacebuilding processes which might represent “problem solving on a scale most of us have never known before”. This writer advocates for a combination of preliminary surveys, Community Visioning Initiatives, Community Teaching and Learning Centers, “sister community” relationships, local currency, and local community newspapers (contributing community service) as a starting point for accelerating solution-oriented activity, and creating more “close-knit” communities.

The “Treasured Wisdom—is it in the ‘tool box’?” piece is an effort to give special attention and emphasis to the need for an exponential increase in compassion for our fellow human beings. The 27 page “Treasured Wisdom” document offers 13 observations/insights (excerpts from a variety of sources) which provide evidence that we are a critical point in the history of life on Earth—and 8 questions which illustrate that we are ill prepared to overcome the challenges ahead, and have far to go to avoid a disastrous future. This writer believes we cannot afford to exclude from our “tool box” (needed to overcome the challenges of our times) the time-tested sources which have helped people learn compassion over many centuries. What we need to do instead is learn how to cultivate the time-tested sources so that the sources yield the treasured wisdom. Thus, in the “Treasured Wisdom” piece, I also share some ideas and commentary on the theme of “integrating spiritual wisdom into the everyday circumstances of community life” (i.e. realistic and practical ways for making best use of the wisdom human beings have accumulated over 5,000 years of human history).

I am sharing information about this new “Community Peacebuilding and Cultural Sustainability” website with two specific communities of people:

1) professors and instructors teaching college level courses in the areas of peacebuilding, conflict resolution, development, community education, and sustainability
2) discussion forums at websites serving people who are researchers, instructors, practitioners, students, etc in the above fields, and in related fields.

I am hoping that this Three Part Series might generate some discussion among instructors, students, practitioners, etc which would raise the quality of ideas, discussion, and application in many topic areas.

For a Peaceful and Sustainable Future,

Stefan Pasti, Resource Coordinator
Community Peacebuilding and Cultural Sustainability
www.cpcsc.info

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile ipcr PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM