TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsFeatured ForumCurrent EventsWhy would you want your president to leave or stay in power?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male & 37
Why would you want your president to leave or stay in power?
May 29, 2013

Why would you want your president to leave or stay in power?

In a nation, you will have people who are divided, naturally, not every human being has the same thoughts you react the way you feel. Notwithstanding, at times people do not actually react the way they feel for one reason or the other.
Around Africa and the world, the issue of poverty and unemployment which are the products of bad governance had led to diverse views of the citizens criticizing and appreciating the various regimes of their countries.
Do people really judge well? do they judge for them selves or others? some people pretend to be satisfied even when they are not what can be the reason?
For these reasons, i ask you irrespective of your country why you would want the current regime to stay or give way to another?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile gike PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ian Murray

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: California
City: Santa Rosa
Re: Why would you want your president to leave or stay in power?
Jun 1, 2013

I assume by 'president' you're referring to democratically elected ones, in which the people's judgement of their president is most relevant. I don't think I have a clear-cut answer to your questions, but I do have something to share.

"Do people really judge well?" is a huge question, and before answering it or even reflecting on your preconceptions, there's a lot to be kept in mind when thinking here.

Based on how most major, popularly elected governments have affected not only individuals the world over through their international policy, but also how they've affected the wide majority of the people who put them in power, the obvious answer to that question would be 'no', regardless of whether those people were self-interested or sympathetic of others. Neo-liberal/neo-colonial policies only favour the top 1%; this is fact. Yet it takes much more than the vote of that 1% to get those policy makers in power.

What I want to caution though, is that that doesn't mean the people have poor judgement. In order for anyone to judge something properly, they must possess relevant information and be aware of the implications of that information. I live in Canada. Despite it being one of the wealthiest and most naturally abundant countries in the world, 2 million of us live in poverty to the point of not being able to feed themselves. That's 1/15 people here, which is appalling for a 'first-world' country.

We've had a heavily conservative government which has consistently taking measures against science, the environment, freedoms, and mechanisms of social support. They are the only contending 'right-wing' party, while the 'left' vote is split between four (how they got into power in the first place).

What I wanted to bring up though, is the reason this government, despite so many blatant atrocities and broken promises, has managed to maintain its power, and even be re-elected with the same figures at its head. The U.N. has documented the Canadian government as having a failing grade in informing its public about its actions/policies for years now. Our prime minister (same role as a president) consistently passes bills with only the consent of his party's elected officials. The wide majority of these bills pass with little-to-no public input in the matter, and the huge majority of the people are unaware of most of the policy change taking place.

With that in mind, I can't say that Canadians are doing a good job judging things, but it's important to acknowledge some of the reasons why.

Member Profile Ian-is-guy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Lucy

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Nebraska
City: Omaha
Jun 22, 2013

I would want my president to leave if he is going against the rights set by humanity. If the president is not able to do the set job, uses up all of the country's money, and if the president isn't the type of person that I wold approve of my children looking up to. Some people are not fit to be in that position. If the president is fit to the requirements, I wold want the president to stay. I understand that there is a lot of pressure, but leading and representing a country is an important job.

Member Profile labellasorella PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
emmanuel Enow

Poster Rank: Chatterbox
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Aug 27, 2013

This is what is happening in Egypt now. some people want the president to stay some want him to go.
and there are lost of innocent lives

Member Profile gike PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM