TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesPeace & Conflictshould nuclear power be increased?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Distrito Federal
City: Mexico
should nuclear power be increased?
Dec 19, 2012

There was a topic in my English class about nuclear power and we were asked what should nuclear power be used for? I think it should be used to provide energy to help us in our everyday lifes.

What do you think nuclear power should vbe used for?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile pito PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Re: should nuclear power be increased?
Dec 21, 2012

Ricardo,
I hope your class also discusses on the waste that remains out of nuclear activities. Does man have the rights to leave such waste for the future generations?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ian Murray

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: California
City: Santa Rosa
Jan 28, 2013

I can't agree with fission power as a wise or efficient energy source, especially in terms of its sustainability. The waste is awful, and costly, but I would argue that the most substantial cost comes from the materials needed to create fission.

Heavy elements such as Uranium are the most precious resources in our universe. As a star reaches the end of its life, it collapses upon itself, fusing elements into heavier elements until the fusion can go no further. This creates spherical shells of elements. The outermost shell is hydrogen, then helium, and so forth in order for increasing atomic mass. At the very core of the star the heaviest elements are formed. For average size stars, the heaviest element (the innermost shell) is iron. This explains the relative abundance of iron compared to other heavy elements in our universe.

Less common are the huge and super-hot stars, ones which might have enough energy to produce silver, gold, or even platinum at their cores. These stars are much less frequent, and it's interesting and perhaps accurate that humans have come to identify their products as "precious".

Now, for the freak among stars, even heavier elements might be synthesized. Many of these elements are those targeted as fuel for nuclear reactors. These are the heaviest, rarest, and in many ways most unique substances we have on our planet, and we choose to destroy them permanently for short-term energy gain. I seriously doubt, from a scientific or technological standpoint, that we've even begun to understand all the different uses and applications such rarities might offer us.

Energy is all around us, and so I find it troubling and sad that we've developed our industry and technology to rely on irreplaceable fuels that could serve much more sustainable, beneficial purposes.

So I guess unless we can figure out fusion, I would be very much against the destruction of our rarest resources for the cause of short-term power gain.

Member Profile Ian-is-guy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

May 7, 2013

Dear Ian,
Excellent. I kept waiting for others to comment on your reply. It seems your wording is too scientific for a general discussio and for the public.But to my understanding, one of the best comments I have seen here in tig.

Your disagreement with fission is a sustainable behaiviour. The planet does not seem to be able to be safe from fission resedue and products.

I wish you and youth like you do not get sad but do your best to find sustainable solutions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

Ian Murray

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: California
City: Santa Rosa
May 7, 2013

Thanks Farhad ^_^ I try to make an effort to articulate myself well.

I'm sorry if my comment made the thread less accessible, but I would really encourage people to have confidence and share their perspectives openly! (After all, that's what I did).

The reason the 'energy crisis' is such a crisis right now is that there really doesn't seem to be a good alternative that can meet the demand of an ever-developing world in a sustainable way. You're definitely right that we should do our best to find a truly sustainable solution. I want to advocate though, that the solution doesn't necessarily have to be a technological one. I hope creative minds can come together and address the problem of sustainable energy in a way that doesn't restrict their solutions to the realms of science and technology. After all, it's our overwhelming demand for energy that makes our energy sources unsustainable, and that's a human-defined demand that people have the potential to redefine as something less costly.

If there was an easy solution, I'm sure it would have already been adopted.

Hope that was some food for thought!

Member Profile Ian-is-guy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

May 8, 2013

Your articulation is excellent. It seems the expertise of your first comment is above public level. Of course, it is not your faulth. We are to increase our knowlege for living in the modern times.
You have provided a food for thought and that is your view that the solution doesn’t necessarily have to be technological. I would say that a change in the living styles of the modern human may decrease the demand for energy.
Farhad

GMR Transcription

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 47
Jul 17, 2013

Homm i feel energy must be increased to meet world’s growing demand. Since both population growth and increasing standards of living for many people in developing countries will cause strong emergence in energy demand, as outlined above. Over 70% of the increased energy demand are mostly from developing countries, led by China and India.
Nuclear power generation is aleady an established part of the world's electricity mix providing in 2010 some 12.8% of world electricity.It's suitable mostly in large-scale, continuous electricity demand which requires reliability and hence ideally matched to increasing urbanisation worldwide

Member Profile gmrtrans PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Jul 17, 2013

gmrtrans wrote:

Homm i feel energy must be increased to meet world’s growing demand. Since both population growth and increasing standards of living for many people in developing countries will cause strong emergence in energy demand, as outlined above. Over 70% of the increased energy demand are mostly from developing countries, led by China and India.
Nuclear power generation is aleady an established part of the world's electricity mix providing in 2010 some 12.8% of world electricity.It's suitable mostly in large-scale, continuous electricity demand which requires reliability and hence ideally matched to increasing urbanisation worldwide

Are you supporting fusion or fission?
Farhad

« BACK TO FORUM