TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesCultureYouths of today Have Lost Their Culture Identification

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male & 32
Province/State: Lusaka
City: Lusaka
Youths of today Have Lost Their Culture Identification
Dec 17, 2012

Is it just the 21st century or we the youths of today have totally lost it? Our dressing, our respect for elderly people, morality and so on and so fourth...

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile TonyTheGreat PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Diana Adongo

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Re: Youths of today Have Lost Their Culture Identification
Dec 19, 2012

With so much technological advancements,the young generation has adopted the western cultures whose repercussions are mostly felt in african nations thus destroying our image with nedative impacts on the youths in their behaviour and communication

Member Profile douma0744 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Muthia

Province/State: Jawa Barat
City: Bandung
Dec 21, 2012

Yes, too right. I think it's because of the technology,media and society. Media such as TV and movies nowadays mostly and indirectly encourage young people to act with no moral and norms. They indirectly make young people forget their own culture and change their mindset. It makes them think that their culture is just a culture and they don't have to care about it anymore. Though some media have told young people to care and give more attention to their culture because it's going to be extinct, it just still doesn't really work it out. Just like the way media does, technology also encourages young people to forget their culture. Just give it a look at the existence of a TV. With its existence, young people tend to watch than to play traditional games to entertain themself.

In fact, if it keeps happening, later on the culture will be totally lost and also, the newer/younger generation will also be called "the lost generation" - based on the sociology theory i've learned.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
M U T H I A

Member Profile muthiahi PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
AmalFlare

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Alberta
City: Edmonton
Mar 17, 2013

I disagree with you to some extent. Not all youths today are losing their culture or identity. I was born and raised in Somalia, i think it was at the age of six that we first moved to canada. Everything was so different, the wheather, the people everything. But as the years went by i started adapting Canadian values, however never did i fully lose all of my Somalian identity. I merged the two together. There were some Somali traditions that i really didnt like, but living in Canada made me realize that i can choose whatever i wanted. So at the end of the dat i dont think theres anything wrong with adapting a different culture as long as you still hold your's dear.

~Amal

Member Profile AmalFlare PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chenty Abu

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 2016
Province/State: Northern
City: Tamale
Jul 16, 2013

Its good to keep up with the pace of this technological era; but its great to keep in mind your identity first.

Member Profile Chenty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ian rae

Oct 12, 2013

Well all the kids i have coached in swimming over the last 10 years are respectful and decently behaved and all are working class.cool

Member Profile mullrae PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Anthony Lukwesa

Gender & Age: Male, 32
Province/State: Lusaka
City: Lusaka
Nov 8, 2013

Identification is everything. Not forgetting your roots or where you come from is the first step to been successful in life....A man without identity is like a man without a name...

Member Profile TonyTheGreat PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
GMR Transcription

Gender & Age: Female, 47
Nov 12, 2013

Very true but i believe every generation is rebellious in their own ways. To particularly point out any generation can be difficult to be judged. I believe with the advancement in every field & further enlightenment, things are changing in a rapid pace. But it is upto the parents & the society to always show the correct path towards culture identification & believing in humanity.

Member Profile gmrtrans PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
GMR Transcription

Gender & Age: Female, 47
Nov 12, 2013

Very true but i believe every generation is rebellious in their own ways. To particularly point out any generation can be difficult to be judged. I believe with the advancement in every field & further enlightenment, things are changing in a rapid pace. But it is upto the parents & the society to always show the correct path towards culture identification & believing in humanity.

Member Profile gmrtrans PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sydney Henderson

Province/State: Georgia
City: Kennesaw
Dec 10, 2013

Youths of today have not lost their cultural identity, we have simply become more open to and understanding of others; other cultures, other religions, other people, other things in general. Youths of today realize that culture is what has caused countries and the world to fight. If we become more open to and understanding of other people's beliefs and traditions, we can in turn make the world a better place, full of helping hands instead of pointing fingers.

Member Profile shende33 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Iman

Province/State: California
City: Tracy
May 20, 2015

It's easy to generalize however I do not believe its all of our youth together. Some have lost their cultural identity due to new and impactful distractions, but others like people who I know and the person I am, are strong and live up to who they are and the basic expectations others have of them (consideration, moral beliefs, productivity to society)

Member Profile iman23 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM