TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesSocial InnovationHow do you stay motivated?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female & 25
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
How do you stay motivated?
Dec 2, 2012

Hello fellow innovators!!

I have been working on a lot things recently i.e. University work and my website and other things. Along the way I have found it very difficult to remain motivated, I always find a reason not to do my work and Its not good. So I was wondering what some of you do to remain motivated. So far I have tried to turn off the TV and my internet connection and my phones. I do have the motivation now and then though. Please share your thoughts on this subject. if you experience the same things tell me how you cope with it.
Thanks
Juvin

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile juvin PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Delkys Ortiz Pena

Gender & Age: Male, 26
Province/State: New York
City: New York
Re: How do you stay motivated?
Dec 3, 2012

Hi Juvin,

It is pretty common to experience the feeling of just sit down and see how time flies, sometimes your body indeed needs that break , but if you have lots of work in queue , you must try and get everything done.

I personally have a lot of things to do, a Job, full-time student and many other extra things I do to improve myself, and that means I don't really have much time left to enjoy other things during the weekdays.

What I always try to do to keep myself focused is, elaborate a schedule with the things I need to get done, and get them done before Friday.
Always keeping in mind what is the purpose of this task, ex education,personal growth, economic benefits. It is always good to know why are you doing things, that keeps you running all the way.

As long as you want to finish things acknowledging the purpose of it, everything will be fine.

Also try to keep a "mind and physical balance". Reading and exercising will do the trick! The combination of both will make you feel ready to take on the daily challenges that life has to offer.

Good luck!

Delkys Ortiz Pena

Member Profile dlance26 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Yad

Province/State: As Sulaymaniyah
City: Sulaimania
Dec 4, 2012

I think a hobby would help, practicing a hobby to get away from what you are doing would help. For Example : drawing, playing a some musical instrument.

This might be abit weird, but watching comedy helps me alot, sometimes I watch cartoons, or an actual show that is related to comedy.

Other times to stay motivated I watch TED talks, it just feels great to see how other people whom just as you are hard working have reached an achievement.

Specially in technology, it is just easier to embrace and find how your work might be similar to someone's else success.

Member Profile yad.faeq PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ramses Lozano

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 25
Province/State: Morelos
City: Cuernavaca
Dec 4, 2012

Hi Juvin! What a great question!

I think that hobbies help a lot. I love to play the piano and it just takes away everything that takes away my motivation.

I also like to look outside and see what is happening outdoors which sometimes give me an idea of something that needs to be done.

Talking to someone and sharing opinions is also helpful.

Motivation can be found almost everywhere (in my opinión), you just have to look somewhere else and watch something different.

Member Profile RamsesLR PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Adele Joy Advento

Gender & Age: Female, 29
Province/State: Manila
City: Manila
Dec 6, 2012

I agree that it is quite difficult to stay motivated for so long. I think hobbies, re-allocating energy to other recreational activities can also help but what makes me motivated most is reading inspirational articles and stories.

Inspirational stories never fail to motivate me because it makes me appreciate a lot of things and keeps me on my toes on what I can do next smile

Hope this helps smile

Member Profile adeleja PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Delkys Ortiz Pena

Gender & Age: Male, 26
City: New York
Dec 10, 2012

@Adele Joy Advento

Motivation/Success Stories they are purely consolidated to empower you!

I agree very much on this, there is a very big chance that you will somewhat develop many ideas that are just sitting there in a dark part of your brain waiting for you to say: "Hey finally , you remember me, lets do it!"

So having in mind examples of other people making a change, and see that they did it with hard work and commitment, this makes you want to be just as good or better like them.

Good post!

Member Profile dlance26 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Andrew Cullen

Gender & Age: Male, 22
Province/State: Pennsylvania
City: Philadelphia
Dec 11, 2012

This is a topic I think affects everyone. A lot of the responses focus on how to stay sane when working hard. Personally in order to keep myself from not wanting to work, I remember why it is that I'm working hard in the first place. Let's just say I've spent plenty of time on http://www.privateislandsonline.com/ big grin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
--
Andrew Cullen
Co-editor-in-chief
Millennial Youth magazine
242 Union Street
Schenectady, NY 12305
518-387-3008
518-596-4920(c)
www.millennialyouth.com
Twitter: @andrewcullenMY

Member Profile ACCullen PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Allegra Cullen

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Female, 22
City: Schenectady
Dec 12, 2012

I think that hobbies and reading inspirational things can definitely help, but you also have to be careful that the time you spend on those things doesn't replace the time you should be spending doing your work.

One thing that helps me is having deadlines and PEOPLE that I am responsible to. Having a group that I am accountable to also helps because if I don't show up or do my part, then I know it will affect other people.

One of the challenges we might be facing on here is the fact that even though we are all a community, we are not responsible to each other really. Maybe we should start doing things that will add a physical piece to the online part of our community. If we could set up Skype chats or other things where members who are interested in the same thing can log on at the same time and work or talk together, that might help.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Allegra Cullen
Editor-in-chief
Millennial Youth
www.millennialyouth.com

Member Profile Allegracullen PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Juvin

Gender & Age: Female, 25
Dec 12, 2012

Thank you to everyone for the responses.
I will try to do some of my hobbies and really remember what I am working so much for. But I think this is an issue that affect even the most hard-working people at times.

Adele Joy Advento

Gender & Age: Female, 29
Province/State: Manila
City: Manila
Dec 15, 2012

@Delkys Thanks! I also have trouble in keeping myself motivated that's why smile)))

@Juvin Yes, indeed. We eventually reach a deadend and try to make it work as a new beginning smile

Member Profile adeleja PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chuka Ekweogwu

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Dubayy
City: Dubai
Dec 19, 2012

Hi Juvin? Firstly you are on the track,you need a find the very relaxing spot of your life,don't allow your subconsciousness to ware you down.what's your believe about life?reply

Member Profile innovation12 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Juvin

Gender & Age: Female, 25
Jan 21, 2013

Hi, thanks for your response. I am not sure if you're asking about my main goal in life. But if so, I hope to open a successful retail business in Africa and to be a great social innovator, help people reach their full potential and reach mine too. Thanks for asking.

Megan MacCallum

Province/State: Ontario
City: Guelph
Jan 22, 2013

Hi Juvin,

I find that setting a deadline is useful when making plans and staying motivated. If you are planning on exercising more and staying healthy, maybe your deadline will be a beach vacation you are going on a couple of months after your goal setting. Or maybe over the summer break you will make a goal to read so many books by the end of the summer. Furthermore, I think it's important to make realistic goals that are specific rather than goals that may be too large and exaggerated. I always find that when I achieve my goal, or see progress (through reasonable goal setting) it motivated me to continue creating and reinforcing goals.

Hope it helps, and all the best!
Megan

Member Profile megmaccallum PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Yad

Province/State: As Sulaymaniyah
City: Sulaimania
Jan 24, 2013

Hey,

I think I have replied to this post while ago, but I was just interested to come back to it.

In the middle of work when I get stuck, I would love to watch a video or a promotion of someone who have been working hard to get done what they are doing.

I'm an I.T. and I appreciate technology, for that reasons videos such as these just pumps up the adrenaline to go back to work :

http://tinyurl.com/bpxff4r

http://tinyurl.com/7d644o8

http://tinyurl.com/ac4ees

Member Profile yad.faeq PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Megan MacCallum

Province/State: Ontario
City: Guelph
Feb 6, 2013

Hey,

Yad, I also had a similar impulse that has brought me back to this discussion post. I am very passionate about the environment, climate change, sustainability and so on. So I took a good chunk of time and spent it google-ing "the best environmental/sustainability/climate change websites/people to follow on twitter/videos". Now I have a bunch of great resources that I keep up with on various social media platforms that are constantly educating me and keep me motivated and inspired. So whatever your passionate about, I'd give it a try! There are so many resources available online!

Megan

Member Profile megmaccallum PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM