Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: New York
City: Garden City
Recycling
Sep 27, 2012

Hey guys! I've recently just finished my Gold Award Project for Girl Scouts on recycling. After going to so many of my brother's baseball games, I noticed how many bottles and cans were thrown away or left on the ground instead of recycled. I worked to contact public figures in my home town to have them approve putting in recycling bins in my sports fields and in the center of my town. After meeting in front of the Board of Selectmen and speaking with them about my project, it was approved and I was given funding to buy bins to put throughout town. Doing this project has shown me all the awful affects we have on the planet. Cans can easily be turned into a new can after 6 weeks instead of being thrown away and staying in a landfill for years. So much of what we throw away can be recycled. We us 500 million straws in the US, and a lot of that ends up on beaches and in the ocean. Birds have been found to feed their chicks bottle caps as food and turtles are dying from eating plastic bags when they mistaken them for jelly fish. I'm hoping that with my project, I not only make a difference in my town, but can teach others the importance of recycling and to encourage everyone to do it!

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile samrizzo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chenty Abu

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 2016
Province/State: Northern
City: Tamale
Re: Recycling
Oct 1, 2012

Great job Samantha! Good you shared it, other members could be encourage to start similar initiatives in their various communities.

KEEP UP!

Member Profile Chenty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Gary Richardson

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Western Australia
City: Perth
Nov 24, 2012

At the moment recycling of materials is only a minor activity to make us think that we are doing enough to live sustain-ably. We only recycle about 10% of the materials that could be recycled if we really meant business.
Governments need to legislate to force producers to make products with recycling built into the product life cycle process. If this was done we could lift the recycle rate to at least 80 to 90%.
But as always, humanity will have to wait until the problem seriousness is at the eleventh hour before we do anything. The real culprit here is the fact that the world is NOT run by Governments, it is run by Corporations!!!

Member Profile FriendofOrion PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chenty Abu

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 2016
Province/State: Northern
City: Tamale
Nov 26, 2012

FriendofOrion wrote:

At the moment recycling of materials is only a minor activity to make us think that we are doing enough to live sustain-ably. We only recycle about 10% of the materials that could be recycled if we really meant business.
Governments need to legislate to force producers to make products with recycling built into the product life cycle process. If this was done we could lift the recycle rate to at least 80 to 90%.
But as always, humanity will have to wait until the problem seriousness is at the eleventh hour before we do anything. The real culprit here is the fact that the world is NOT run by Governments, it is run by Corporations!!!

Gary, your post is so cool!

Member Profile Chenty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Dakira

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Michigan
City: Detroit
Dec 18, 2012

I believe that recycling should be a more serious or important factor to the world. The products that are not being recycled is affecting our planet and the president should make recycling worth more than 10 percent. If recycling is brought to people as major problem we can save the waste and the world.

Member Profile Siimplykiira PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Phillip Young

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Michigan
City: Detroit
Dec 18, 2012

Recycling should be more serious to those who doesn't recycle at all. recycling can help clean up the world.

Member Profile Phill1228 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Roch

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Recycling
Mar 1, 2013

To keep our enviornment healthy and clean recycling is very important factor. government should be support such projects which are working on recycling. It gives double benefits to the envoirnment one is use garbage as raw material and reduce plution from enviornment.
http://www.glenvalesupportedliving.com.au/acknowledged-as-the-best

This post was edited on: 2013-03-12 at 02:16 PM by: Roch

Member Profile Lidia14 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Feb 28, 2014

FriendofOrion wrote:

It seems true. Governments are to be watching and assessing the corporations for sustainability.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Elliott Shifman

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Illinois
City: Chicago
Dec 11, 2014

I think this is just great and inspiring. Great job on your work. #elliottshifman

Member Profile elliottshifman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM