FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Western Australia
City: Perth
Microwaving food
Aug 27, 2012

Another controversial subject is that of the safety of microwaved food. Most people will say "It's OK, it's just another way of heating something. But is it?

Microwave energy heats food and the water in food by causing the molecules to vibrate. The resulting friction causes the temperature to rise. That's different than the wood, gas or electric stove. Russia had placed a ban on microwave ovens. Surely they would not do that if the technology was completely in the clear.

An experiment that I've been told about and one that anyone can do is the following:

2 containers of water, one heated on a stove and cooled, the other in a microwave and cooled.
The stove water watered a seed in soil and a seedling........normal growth
The microwave water watered a seed in soil and a seedling....... Very poor growth(+ seed did not sprout)

Try it for yourself. There is a difference!

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile FriendofOrion PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Phillip

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Texas
City: Fort Worth
Re: Microwaving food
Aug 27, 2012

You have reason microwave water watered has slow growth, i wanna know the reason, somebody know? shocked

Member Profile Mouggly PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Gary Richardson

Aug 28, 2012

I don't know why as yet; maybe some-one else does. All I know is that water is more of a mystery than we think.

Chenty Abu

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 2017
Province/State: Northern
City: Tamale
Aug 30, 2012

JohnHalsell123 wrote:

I also use microwave since 2005, but know the fact that this can be dangerous. Almost every body use this in their daily life. Can anybody tell me that what are the reason to avoid the same.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
MetaOption

What danger do you mean when you said you "know the fact that this can be dangerous", is it what Richardson said? or something else, just want to know.

Member Profile Chenty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Harvey

Province/State: Texas
City: Harlingen
Sep 1, 2012

Chenty wrote:

JohnHalsell123 wrote:

I also use microwave since 2005, but know the fact that this can be dangerous. Almost every body use this in their daily life. Can anybody tell me that what are the reason to avoid the same.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
MetaOption

What danger do you mean when you said you "know the fact that this can be dangerous", is it what Richardson said? or something else, just want to know.

My guess is that John is referring to the risks of using the microwave oven with metallic objects for example. The metal reflects the waves, so the internal parts of the oven can be damaged. As far as I know, radiation exposure is minimal, so it doesn't represent a risk for human beings. Pleas correct me if I'm wrong

Member Profile Distin PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Gary Richardson

Sep 2, 2012

My point in saying that microwave ovens are possibly bad for health is based on a limited amount of research that has been done by scientists and the fact that the boiled water experiments that I mentioned in the start of the thread showed to me that microwaving changes the water in some mysterious way that prevents it from growing any plant in soil. It takes some life force away from the water.
Until some in depth research is done, we may never fully understand why this happens. But who is going to go against the Big manufacturing companies and put up the money for this when there is no return on their investment.

Howard

Province/State: Pennsylvania
City: Altoona
Sep 16, 2012

JohnHalsell123 wrote:

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the reply and yes I am asking for the risk of using the microwave, according to my knowledge due to radiation factor chance of cancer is maximum for human being. So is this also applied for Microwave.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
MetaOption

I'm not Harvey, but I have done some research about this.

According to the FDA (http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/ResourcesforYouRadiationEmittingProducts/ucm252762.ht m) the microwave ovens are perfectly safe for humans. As long as you're not exposed to radiation by long periods of time, modern ovens are perfectly safe. The radiation emitted is not enough to cause cancer, in first instance. Besides, there are isolating materials to prevent excessive leak of microwaves to the exterior

Member Profile Extedir PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Gary Richardson

Sep 17, 2012

The FDA! I wouldn't trust them to tell me the time in a room full of clocks!!

Their history of rubber stamping everything regardless of research into safety etc is appalling. They're bought and payed for!

Chenty Abu

Sep 17, 2012

Extedir wrote:

JohnHalsell123 wrote:

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the reply and yes I am asking for the risk of using the microwave, according to my knowledge due to radiation factor chance of cancer is maximum for human being. So is this also applied for Microwave.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------
MetaOption

I'm not Harvey, but I have done some research about this.

According to the FDA (http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/ResourcesforYouRadiationEmittingProducts/ucm252762.ht m) the microwave ovens are perfectly safe for humans. As long as you're not exposed to radiation by long periods of time, modern ovens are perfectly safe. The radiation emitted is not enough to cause cancer, in first instance. Besides, there are isolating materials to prevent excessive leak of microwaves to the exterior

Hi Howard,

I just want to know whether your research conclusion is based only on what FDA said or you did some further research?

Chenty Abu

Sep 17, 2012

FriendofOrion wrote:

Their history of rubber stamping everything regardless of research into safety etc is appalling. They're bought and payed for!

This is getting so interesting!

Stephanie

Province/State: California
City: San Diego
Sep 18, 2012

FriendofOrion wrote:

You're right. I wouldn't trust them most of the times, but there's not another way to know whether the radiation is causing side effects unless you pay a group of researches. What resources are we left with?

Member Profile Untowent PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chenty Abu

Sep 18, 2012

Untowent wrote:

FriendofOrion wrote:

You're right. I wouldn't trust them most of the times, but there's not another way to know whether the radiation is causing side effects unless you pay a group of researches. What resources are we left with?

Yeah sure, its important to base arguments of these sort on researches rather than just distrusting FDA without facts.

Jietao Tang

Province/State: Ontario
City: Markham
Jun 9, 2014

My naturopath therapist asks me do not use microwave to reheat the food because the nutrition will be largely lost. However, WHO’s fact sheet on microwave oven says:

Food cooked in a microwave oven is as safe, and has the same nutrient value, as food cooked in a conventional oven. The main difference between these two methods of cooking is that microwave energy penetrates deeper into the food and reduces the time for heat to be conducted throughout the food, thus reducing the overall cooking time…”

Read more on http://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/facts/info_microwaves/en/

Nevertheless, some people still avoid using microwave oven. They claimed that baby’s food is not allowed to use microwave oven. As the food is not good for the babies, it is neither good for the adults.

This post was edited on: 2014-06-09 at 10:44 AM by: Jietao Tang

Member Profile Janetang PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Abdominal Fat Burners

Province/State: Berlin
City: Berlin
Aug 19, 2014

Stay cool, microwave isn't dangerous.

Member Profile abfatburners PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Gary Richardson

Aug 21, 2014

Microwaves Alter food!

In 1991, the Swiss Doctor Hans Ulrich Hertel made a study that demonstrated that cooking or heating food presents much greater risks for health than the traditionally cooked food. He found that people who ate microwave prepared food recorded losses in the hemoglobines and lymphoites.
In 2003, a Spanish governmental study elaborated in Murcia demonstrated that the vegetables and fruits cooked in a microwave lost a percentage of 97% of the substances that contribute to reducing the incidence of coronary heart diseases.
In Dr. Lita Lee’s book, Health Effects of Microwave Radiation — Microwave Ovens, and in the March and September 1991 issues of Earthletter, she stated that every microwave oven leaks electro-magnetic radiation, harms food, and converts substances cooked in it to dangerous organ-toxic and carcinogenic products.
In Comparative Study of Food Prepared Conventionally and in the Microwave Oven, published by Raum & Zelt in 1992, at 3(2): 43, it states:
“Artificially produced microwaves, including those in ovens, are produced from alternating current and force a billion or more polarity reversals per second in every food molecule they hit. Production of unnatural molecules is inevitable. Naturally occurring amino acids have been observed to undergo isomeric changes (changes in shape morphing) as well as transformation into toxic forms, under the impact of microwaves produced in ovens.”

Dr. Hertel was the first scientist to conceive and carry out a quality clinical study on the effects microwaved nutrients have on the blood and physiology of the human body. His small but well controlled study showed the degenerative force produced in microwave ovens and the food processed in them. The scientific conclusion showed that microwave cooking changed the nutrients in the food; and, changes took place in the participants’ blood that could cause deterioration in the human system. Hertel’s scientific study was done along with Dr. Bernard H. Blanc of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology and the University Institute for Biochemistry.
Of all the natural substances — which are polar — the oxygen of water molecules reacts most sensitively. This is how microwave cooking heat is generated — friction from this violence in water molecules. Structures of molecules are torn apart, molecules are forcefully deformed, called structural isomerism, and thus become impaired in quality. This is contrary to conventional heating of food where heat transfers convectionally from without to within. Cooking by microwaves begins within the cells and molecules where water is present and where the energy is transformed into frictional heat.
The following is a summary of the Russian investigations published by the Atlantis Raising Educational Center in Portland, Oregon:
- Microwaving prepared meats sufficiently to insure sanitary ingestion caused formation of d-Nitrosodienthanolamines, a well-known carcinogen.
- Microwaving milk and cereal grains converted some of their amino acids into carcinogens.
- Thawing frozen fruits converted their glucoside and galactoside containing fractions into carcinogenic substances.
- Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked or frozen vegetables converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens.
- Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants, especially root vegetables.
Russian researchers also reported a marked acceleration of structural degradation leading to a decreased food value of 60 to 90% in all foods tested.

« BACK TO FORUM