TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesEnvironmentIs Global Warm a reality or a myth?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male & 43
Is Global Warm a reality or a myth?
Aug 9, 2012

I personally feel that climatologists have exagerated the extent to which climate can change through human activity. The climate theatre is vast - too large to be knitted in to the lab based science that the climatologists use to underpin their assertions. So my question to all of you is "Is Global Warm a reality or a myth?"

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile radeglom PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Gary Richardson

Province/State: Western Australia
City: Perth
Re: Is Global Warm a reality or a myth?
Aug 25, 2012

Yes, I agree. Not all Climate scientists have this opinion. There is a book written by a renowned meteorologist. It is called "The Great Global warming Blunder" I've forgotten the author but I have read it and am convinced that he has a strong argument. I believe that there is a lot of poor science behind this idea and the debate over this issue is definitely not over.
The last 12 years have not warmed the way the scientists predicted. If you Google "Professor James Lovelock recants global warming" you will find one of the biggest alarmists going back on his concerns about the fate of the planet.
In the meantime my country, Australia is busy shooting itself in the foot by having a tax on carbon. There is going to be some red faces, I think, when in 10 or so years the climate won't be anything as bad as they say.
Cheers

Member Profile FriendofOrion PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Haley

Province/State: New Jersey
City: Williamstown
Aug 29, 2012

I feel that to a certain extent global warming is real. I mean, fuels from cars or factories get caught in the atmosphere and make the world a bit warmer, but not so drastically that the world would end soon. Just my opinion of course.

Member Profile hmw102 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Gary Richardson

Province/State: Western Australia
City: Perth
Aug 30, 2012

Yes, The warming is real but how much of it are we responsible for?

We produce 3% of all the naturally produced CO2. We have had higher concentrations of CO2 in the past and we are still here.

The average world temperature rose 1 Deg C between 1950 and 1997 and has since stopped rising. Some Global Warming.

Australia has just shot itself in the financial foot by introducing a carbon tax.

We still should get away from fossil fuels because they:
1) Are limited in supply.
2) Are polluting.

Member Profile FriendofOrion PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Phillip Young

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Michigan
City: Detroit
Dec 18, 2012

No global warming is not a myth . It is very much reality and is effecting some food crops around the world.

Member Profile Phill1228 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
yumeng

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Colorado
City: Denver
Jan 17, 2013

i think global warm is a period. Because 1395 years ago, during Tang dynasty (China) is more hot than now.

Member Profile meng1005 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ian Murray

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: California
City: Santa Rosa
Jan 19, 2013

Global Warming is geological and scientific fact.

As long as our planet has polar ice caps. It is experiencing an "ice age". Our planet is always shifting in and out of ice ages. Right now we're still at the tail-end of the most recent one, so like it or not, and pollute or not: the ice caps will melt, the sea levels will rise, and the planet will experience a significant rising in temperature.

We have no technology at our disposable powerful enough to completely counteract this natural process.

The question of Climate Change therefore lies more-in the question of how much is human activity contributing to, and thereby accelerating, this natural process. Historically, we know that periods of rapid warming and cooling have resulted in mass extinction, regularly well over 90% of the planet's life. We need to ask the question; are we accelerating global warming, and if so, is it going to occur at a rate that the ecosystem of the Earth (humans included) won't have time to adapt and survive?

There's lots of conflicting stats and people supporting either side of the argument. What I would encourage everyone to be is open to new ideas, and suggest that a decision making process on any issue demands information about both (or all) sides of the argument, and not simply confirmation of one or declination of the other.

Okay, that's it.

Ian

This post was edited on: 2013-01-19 at 01:28 AM by: Ian

Member Profile Ian-is-guy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
GMR Transcription

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 47
Nov 12, 2013

Global warming is a reality & not a myth. All the natural disasters taking place so frequently is a proof that something is badly wrong with the ozone sphere.

Member Profile gmrtrans PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Nov 12, 2013

Human activities have caused it and is real. Recent disasters seem to be much stronger and the impacts much larger.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ian Murray

Gender & Age: Male, 24
City: Santa Rosa
Nov 24, 2013

Also, historically it's been easy to identify humans as a leading cause for mass, rapid extinction of species we suddenly come into contact with. By looking at fairly recent patterns of diminishing wildlife, popular current examples being bumblebees and monarch butterflies, it's obvious and indisputable that something is happening to our climate. Looking at the sharp increase in severity and frequency of natural disasters, as well as consistent record drought in regions such as sub-Saharan africa, I'm even more hard-pressed to think that climate change isn't a real concern.

We're not separate from our environment, or from the air we breath. We ARE the air we breath, and we share it as it passes in and out of each of us to sustain our lives. When short-term thinking violates such a fundamental necessity, without any thought for long-term prosperity, it puts life on Earth in a poor position.

I doubt I'm being unclear, but I can illustrate what I mean through simple, biological fact. Oxygen-breathing species are well-known to be happier, livelier, and more energetic when breathing higher oxygen contents. All forms of combustion use up oxygen, and release carbon oxides, which have the opposite effect on humans and other oxygen breathers. CO2 levels have already increased 50% because of human activity, just in the past 50 years. Trees absorb these negative gases, and re-emit oxygen into our environment. But since huge expanses of forestry are disappearing as well, the effect on human happiness and livelihood should be apparent. It's not something anyone can feel or sense on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean it's not fact.

Member Profile Ian-is-guy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
andrea

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Nov 16, 2014

Personally, I feel global warming is a worldwide pandemic that predisposes to several climatic shifts, leading the arising of new/old diseases in countries. According to national geographic (2007), this issue is evident:ice is melting (i.e. Antarctica, Greenland, mountain glaciers, etc); sea level is rising faster than in last century; various insects and animals have migrated to different regions due to temperature change; precipitation (rainfall/snow) has increased worldwide; disease spread due to mosquitoes and other vectors; and floods and droughts. This is horrible, and because this issue is worldwide, unless reduction in the causes for this issue is put into action. This biggest causation factor for global warming is stated to be greenhouse gases, especially CO2 which has a high heat-trapping capacity. As such, the possible solution would be reducing amount of greenhouse gases we exert into atmosphere daily through walking or riding bicycle for transportation. One process suggested is "carbon sequestration," which works to capture CO2 emitted from fossil fuels and store it underground (national geographic, 2007).

Member Profile guyanesegoddes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
EricRomm

City: Los Angeles
Aug 18, 2016

It's a debate that I sometimes feel turns into ugly discussions.
My views got thrashed in a conversation for claiming Global warming to be real.
People claim Global Warming to be a hoax.
Scientists arguing about it being real base most of their evidence on the interpretation of the change in the levels of gases in the atmosphere and the ocean. The actual warming of temperature is something they say they can document, but the primary evidence is drawn from detecting what precedes a temperature rise – the change, and effect of atmospheric gases on the Earth’s environment.
I chanced upon few global warming essays and research papers and it's no hoax. There's a rise in sea level, ocean temperatures, Earth's average temperature, Ocean Acidification and shrinking glaciers that cannot be denied.

Member Profile EricRomm PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Claire Bryant

May 25, 2017

I think that would be a boring topic for your essay cause so many people have already discussed it and nothing new can be said about it. However, atspecial-essays.com you will definitely get the help with it. By the way, you may also use this coupon code g6oa39rW to save your money

Member Profile ClaireBryant PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
chachavl45

Province/State: Centre
City: Orléans
Aug 1, 2017

Hello !
The global warming is a reality. Indeed, in the Earth's cyle, there are periods of warming and Ice ages. Nowadays, we are in a period of warming but the human activities increase and speed up the global warming. Therefore, it is important to act because the Earth isn't in its natural cycle because of pollution and consumption of natural resources.
Sorry, for my mistakes I am a beginner in English ;-)

Member Profile chachavl45 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
w84trees

Province/State: Sicilia
City: Palermo
Aug 17, 2017

Global warming caused by our activity is real. And is not exaggerated. Everything on Earth has natural cycles and is connected. There were times in history of our planet when CO2 levels were higher than now, but then vegetation developed the way it is now - and it started to use this carbon to build its body. So, the climate changed - the problem now is that since the Industrial Revolution 150 years ago, the level of CO2 increases too fast.

And the major rule of evolution of life on Earth is the capability of organisms to adapt, which might fail in many cases because the change is too sudden. Imagine how u feel when outside temperature drops by 20 degrees in one day and compare it with how it feels when it changes gradually over the course of the week...

Global warming will have dramatic consequences because it is happening too fast (artificially) for planet mechanisms to cope with!

Member Profile w84trees PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM