Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Female & 30
Province/State: Coast
City: Mombasa
EBOLA
Aug 6, 2012

I felt really sad this morning, that a training that was to take place in Uganda has been rescheduled because of Ebola outbreak in Uganda.I just can't get it why this disease keeps on creeping in my neighboring Country Uganda.

Ebola, such a nasty virus claims peoples lives in just a flash.Being in Kenya, I keep on hoping and crossing my fingers that the disease will not cross the border.

Anyone out there bothered as I am about this disease?

This post was edited on: 2012-08-08 at 09:32 AM by: Nohline Akinyi

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile nohllyn PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Cheryl

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Re: EBOLA
Nov 25, 2014

The current Ebola outbreak in West Africa has dominated the media in recent months. It has been a topic of great interest to everyone, including governments, health care workers, and the general public.

The current state of the outbreak is very upsetting. Its severity can largely be attributed to political, economic, and social factors. The countries affected are stricken by extreme poverty. They lack organized governments and policies, health care systems and workers, education, sanitation, and so on.

These are all issues that in theory, can be so easily addressed, yet they continue to persist. I am quite surprised that there are so few discussions regarding the crisis here. Any thoughts?

Member Profile annie30 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Natasha

Nov 26, 2014

Attention given to the Ebola virus has definitely picked up steam, especially in Western countries when the virus began to appear outside West Africa. Nearly 16,000 cases have been reported worldwide and nearly 6,000 people have died thus far. That death rate is absolutely staggering. There is one silver lining though. Peter Piot, one of the scientists who discovered the Ebola virus, believes the number of new cases should begin to decline by the new year. Hopefully the global community has learned from this outbreak and will be better equipped to handle this type of thing going forward.

Member Profile NatashaC1 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Odessa

Dec 3, 2014

November 2014,
The World Health Organization (WHO), has identified that there are two new suspected cases of Ebola in Mali. WHO is showing support through avocation for the country as they state that rapid intervention is essential. Doctors are meeting to decide whether vaccines in the first stages of human trials would be beneficial.
After reading this article I did not the sense of urgency as when the Ebola outbreak first erupted in the summer of 2014. I am hopeful as to the success of the Ebola vaccine, however knowing that Ebola is still spreading to various countries is somewhat worrisome.
Further investigation on my part would be beneficial to fully understand any further outbreaks.

Member Profile odessamc PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tara Medeiros

City: Barrie
Dec 4, 2014

Ebola is a global issue that affects all nations and those that are not afflicted. that “Ebola is a warning sign of a much bigger crisis: the fragility of African health and sanitation systems after many years of poverty, illiteracy, neglect and, in some countries, catastrophic civil war. Even in countries that have recently seen impressive economic growth and foreign investment, the money is failing to reach the hospitals and health-care workers who can prevent disease outbreaks.” (York, 2014).Moreover, “Government authority has been almost non-existent in many West African regions, including, crucially, the border crossings in the Ebola "hot zone" where a million people live. Hospitals and clinics, meanwhile, are severely under-staffed, suffer from shortages of equipment (even such basics as disposable rubber gloves) and lack even electricity and running water. Everywhere the signs of state collapse have been exposed. Bodies of Ebola victims, often lie uncollected in homes and streets for days at a time. Some hospitals have been completely abandoned after staff and patients fled. Quarantine efforts sometimes fail because people simply walk around the checkpoints.” (York, 2014). This issue is appearing in developed countries as well and this demonstrates that all countries need to be unified in eliminating this disease.
~frecklesnfire
reference
York, G., (2014). Ebola is a warning sign of a much bigger crisis. The Globe and Mail. Retrieved from http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/ebola-is-a-warning-sign-of-a-much-bigger-crisis/article201 79143/

Member Profile frecklesnfire PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
zekarias gebreegziabhair

Dec 4, 2014

I feel like what I see on the news is much less report than the actual number of people that are affected with Ebola. I saw a documentary by a doctor who actually went to the heart of the affected cities representing Aljesira and saw how the number is much higher. The stigma and abuse of Ebola affected families is also a major issue that international organizations should look in to!

Member Profile zekariasgk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Francis

Dec 4, 2014

I was sad watching one of the documentaries about the Ebola virus this week. To put short, most of the health care workers in Liberia are now afraid of contracting the disease, so they are walking away from their job. I think appropriate teaching methods on how to protect themselves will enhance their confidence to perform their job competently. With that being said, more fund and support will be needed from the developed countries to assist the affected countries in implementing a better strategy on how to better handle this disease burden.

Member Profile Quagraine PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM