TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesMillennium Development GoalsWhats is Sustainability?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Male & 30
Province/State: Lagos
City: Lagos
Whats is Sustainability?
Jul 2, 2012

The world’s population of 7 billion is likely to increase to 9 billion by 2050. The demand for diminishing natural resources is growing. Income gaps are widening. Sustainability calls for a decent standard of living for everyone today without compromising the needs of future generations.

This means finding better ways of doing things. Such as:

How can we help people move out of poverty and get good jobs, while protecting the environment?
How can we provide access to clean energy for everyone, and make sure that the energy we produce doesn’t contribute to climate change?
How can we make sure that everyone can get the water, food and nutrition they need?
How can we shape our cities so that everyone can enjoy a decent quality of life?
How can we build better transportation systems that allow us all to get where we want to go, without causing too much congestion and pollution?
How can we make sure that our oceans are healthy and that marine life is not threatened by pollution and climate change?
How can we make sure that our communities are resilient in the face of natural disasters?

Source: http://www.un.org/en/sustainablefuture/sustainability.shtml

Olumide IDOWU | Developmental Consultant | AIESEC Nigeria | olumide.idowu@aiesec.net | www.olumideidowu.blog.com | +2348133451818[b]

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile bam07 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Rade Glomazic

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 43
Re: Whats is Sustainability?
Aug 8, 2012

he concept of sustainable development leads are most commonly associated with environmental protection, social development planning, environmental, economic and political issues. The concept of sustainable development is a new development paradigm, a new strategy and philosophy of social development.

Sustainable development also combines concern for the wildlife on the planet Earth and to preserve the capacity of natural systems (natural resources), social and environmental challenges faced by every society, country and humanity as a whole. News notion of sustainable development in particular contribute to the challenges that come with the environmental vulnerability environment. Some of these challenges are: global warming, ozone layer depletion "greenhouse effect", the disappearance of forests, conversion of arable land in the desert, the occurrence of acid rain, extinction of animal and plant species.

The very concept of "sustainable development" is relatively new, but the ideas contained in it can be found in the past. Thus, for example, the end of the 18th century English economist Malthus argued that there is a discrepancy between population growth and rising living resources.

Member Profile radeglom PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Rade Glomazic

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 43
Aug 8, 2012

There is no single and universally accepted definition of sustainable development. However, there is agreement on the need to introduce this concept and awareness of the reasons for its creation. The most commonly quoted definition of sustainable development is the report "Our Common Future", which, at the invitation of the United Nations compiled by the World Commission on Environment and Development (the Bruntland Commission) 1987. year. The definition reads: "Sustainable development is development that meets present needs without prejudice to the ability of future generations to meet their own needs." This is an elegant and easily understood definition that explains the concept of sustainable development in general, starting from the first term, and without entering in a more detailed explanation. By another definition, sustainable development implies a balance between resource consumption and the ability of natural systems to meet the needs of future generations. A comprehensive definition of sustainable development is: Sustainable development is an integral economic, technological, social and cultural development, in line with the needs of protection and improvement of the environment, which allows current and future generations to meet their needs and improve quality of life. However, the precise meaning of the concept of sustainable development is the subject of extensive debate. Some authors instead of the term "sustainable development" would rather talk about the concept of "sustainability" and the term "sustainable development" reserve for specific development activities. The term "sustainable development" is the language is somewhat inadequate and inaccurate, or at least may ask what it means. Thus, for example, the question is how can "hold" something that is subject to constant change - for the "development" implies a change, ie. growth, stagnation or decline.

Member Profile radeglom PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ollie

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Vermont
City: Burlington
Jan 19, 2013

Rade provides a solid description of Sustainability , specifically sustainable development through his quote: "Sustainable development is development that meets present needs without prejudice to the ability of future generations to meet their own needs."

However I also believe that in order to achieve sustainability everybody must make an individual and collaborative effort to alter their daily lives in a way that minimizes their negative impact on the earth and utilizes as many renewable resources as possible. Part of this is offsetting our carbon footprint, both as individuals and a planet.

One can do a handful of things to offset their carbon footprint to limit my consumption and use of finite resources along with reducing greenhouse gas emissions, through mitigation and adaptiation. However to be specific it starts with buying local or fair trade products, this not only ensures it didn't have to travel far but that also most likely was grow in in a eco-friendly way.

Secondly, when shopping try to go to co-ops or stores that use minimal amounts of packaging, for example loose veggies as opposed to boxed or plastic covered ones. Additionally try to use reusable shopping bags when carrying them home.

A third thing to offset your carbon footprint is to stop drinking bottled water and to refill a reusable water bottle. This saves plastic thats wasted and also the fossil fuels needed to ship the bottles to different locations.

A fourth thing you can do to offset your carbon footprint is to use energy efficient lightbulbs for example compact florescent light bulbs use about 75 percent less energy then normal light bulbs and they last longer.

A fifth thing you can do to offset my carbon footprint is to stop buying new things unless I truly need to replace damage goods, this limits my purchasing and ensure I am only buying things I need.

A sixth thing you can do to offset your carbon footprint is to unplug appliances when there not in use, this will ensure no electricity is wasted.

A seventh thing you can do to offset your carbon footprint is to limit your use of your car as much as possible and to check your tire pressure and air filter frequently. Firstly, limiting the usage of your car as much as possible will decrease the amount of fossil fuels you burn, additionally if you are checking the tire pressure and air filter often you can make sure your getting the best gas milage as possible.

an 8th thing you can do to decrease your carbon footprint is when flying in airplanes take a direct flight, this will limit your impact as opposed to hopping on a few different jets to make one trip, less fuel wasted. Lastly you can reduce, reuse and recycle to offset your carbon footprint. If you try buying less, and reusing or fixing things instead of buying new you can save money and limit your purchases.

Lastly if you recycle and compost as much as you can this will also limit your footprint and help offset it.

Member Profile OllieF PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Julia

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Jan 12, 2014

I really liked Ollie's post about what is sustainability from January 19 2013.

I agree that it is important that we act individually and collaboratively.

The suggestions given above were very helpful. Something I'd personally like to see is people developing a better relationship with food.

If there were more emphasis on where our food comes from how it was grown it, who grew it, it would provide people with a deeper meaning.

I have personally experienced this by frequenting farmers markets for my fresh produce and vegetables. At the markets I'm able to learn more about what I'm purchasing and the people I'm supporting. In return I feel great about supporting local farmers, and learn a great deal about the different varieties of vegetables/fruits available.

Not only does buying locally give you a greater connection with your food but I also tend to waste less because I'm more conscious of the effort and love that went into growing/producing and selling the food.

Member Profile JRaynham PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Simran Vedvyas

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Female, 19
Jan 15, 2014

SUSTAINABILITY IS meeting current needs without jeopardising the future
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Simran Vedvyas
www.about.me/simranvedvyas.com

Member Profile simvedvyas PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Michelle

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Nov 19, 2014

I personally believe that sustainability means providing a population with the skills or tools necessary to eradicate the root cause of an issue. For example, to address low food supplies, communities must be educated to properly grow or hunt for food in order to provide nutritious meals that can be sustainable to achieve over time.

In Guyana, the World Health Organization (WHO, 2009) established a strategic agenda to target five strategic priorities by 2015. In order to ensure everyone has a decent quality of life, Guyana’s first area for focus is on enhancing governing health systems and organizations that focus on primary health care (WHO, 2009). More specifically, this strategy focuses on human resources related to health services and public health information necessary for Guyana to improve their health care (WHO, 2009). Thus, this strategy further emphasizes the need for sustainability in regards to health care. If we can provide the proper services and heath teaching, individuals can become more educated, and in turn share that knowledge with other community members to foster a healthy community for all.

References

World Health Organization. (2009). Guyana country cooperation strategy 2010-2015. Retrieved From http://www.who.int/countryfocus/cooperation_strategy/ccs_guyana_2010_2015.pdf

Member Profile Mich13 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM