Poster Rank: Talkative
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male & 33
Province/State: Ankara
City: Ankara
Environment
May 28, 2012

Our Environment is a beautiful place .
Does Industrialisation match with Environmental protection?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile magyc PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kerry Burns

City: Lancaster
Re: Environment
May 29, 2012

Good question Tih, my answer would be a resounding "NO!"

I'm a volunteer with a charity called "Tools For Self Reliance," collecting tools and sewing machines in my locality, which are sent to Africa to groups of people who are setting up some sort of small business - a blacksmith's workshop, carpentry, vehicle repairs, etc.

Although I feel confident that small groups of people working together can support and encourage each other, and find a good environment for working out their interpersonal issues, I worry about one thing -
The way to make money is to employ others, rather than share the work with them, and grow as big as you can.
To do this successfully, no thought of protecting the environment should have priority over making a profit.
Making anything makes a mess of one sort or another, and it has to be got rid of as cheaply as possible, regardless of the consequences further down the line.

The larger the industry, the larger the problem.
Would you like to live in a city having 20 shoemakers, each training an apprentice and supporting the local economy with their earnings ..... or one with a shoe factory ?

All my life I have made things, and I've come to believe that creativity is important for my development as a person.
To design, make, and sell to the customer is a whole experience, and to do it successfully takes all-round ability.
It all has to be learned, often from mistakes. Some of my mistakes are set in stone, others simply reshaped my knuckles.
Fortunately the satisfaction outweighs the blood sweat and tears, and lasts much longer.

In an industrial setting. I'd be operating a machine, doing a single part of the creative process repetitively, and consequently not needing to develop at all.
Eventually my senses would be dulled to the extent that our beautiful environment would be largely wasted on me.
Having done factory work as a young man, I saw the deadness in the eyes of the older guys, and heard the bitterness in their voices.
I remember chalking the famous quote over the factory entrance "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here."

So I would say that Industrialisation contaminates both the external and the internal environments.
Thanks for asking.

Member Profile Northman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tih

Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Ankara
City: Ankara
Environment
May 29, 2012

hello Kerry
Thanks for sharing your experience...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Tih

Member Profile magyc PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Rade Glomazic

Gender & Age: Male, 43
Re: Environment
Aug 8, 2012

Human activity has drastically altered the natural environment. Humans reduce the size of the tropical forests that are habitats for diverse organisms. Environmental change caused by global warming is also one of the factors that increase extinction risk across the world.

Member Profile radeglom PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM