TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesEnvironmentWater Scarcity and Global Conflicts

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Kerala
City: Kannur
Water Scarcity and Global Conflicts
Apr 5, 2012

I recently came across a very disturbing article on internet-'Water Scarcity will create global security concerns'. And according to the study it says,'Up to 1.2 billion people in Asia, 250 million Africans and 81 million Latin Americans will be exposed to increased water stress by 2020. Needless to say it will eventually lead to a World War 3. I come from a land of 44 rivers(Kerala,a southern state of India)where we are having disputes(which had violent outcomes)with neighboring states. These rivers are now dying because of excessive sand mining. I hate to know the fact that I'll be seeing one of these inevitable dreadful wars very soon.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile ArjunMC PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chenty Abu

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 2014
Province/State: Northern
City: Tamale
Re: Water Scarcity and Global Conflicts
Jun 13, 2012

God forbid a war.

So what's been done about the situation at your place?

Member Profile Chenty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
jasireen

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 39
Province/State: Georgia
City: Atlanta
Jun 21, 2012

From the very aspect of hydrology,human activities have decreased and lowered the water table.
Weather patterns and climate change mitigation have decreased water intake for both human consumption and agriculture.
Rivers like Indus,Ganges,Jordan and Nile are likely to be hotspots for conflicts. Environmental and climate related stress on agricultural productivity,food security, competition for water for home use and commercial purposes.
The solution is focus on water quality through water harvesting and conservation

Member Profile jasireen123 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chenty Abu

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 2014
Province/State: Northern
City: Tamale
Jun 27, 2012

jasireen123 wrote:

From the very aspect of hydrology,human activities have decreased and lowered the water table.
Weather patterns and climate change mitigation have decreased water intake for both human consumption and agriculture.
Rivers like Indus,Ganges,Jordan and Nile are likely to be hotspots for conflicts. Environmental and climate related stress on agricultural productivity,food security, competition for water for home use and commercial purposes.
The solution is focus on water quality through water harvesting and conservation

i think the solution should not only focus on water harvesting and conservation but also on water value education; so that water is used judiciously.

Member Profile Chenty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Rade Glomazic

Gender & Age: Male, 40
Aug 10, 2012

With rapid population growth, and increased industrial demand, water withdrawls have tripled over the last 50 years, according to UN figures.

Water scarcity is an issue exacerbated by demographic pressures, climate change and pollution. The world's water supplies should guarantee every member of the population to cover their personal and domestic needs. Fundamentally, these are issues of poverty and inequality, man-made problems.

Of all the water on earth, 97 per cent is salt water and the remaining three per cent is fresh, with less than one per cent of the planet's drinkable water readily accessible for direct human uses. Scarcity is defined as each person in an area having access to less than 1,000 cubic meters of water a year.

The areas where water scarcity is the biggest problem are some of the same places where political conflicts are rife, leading to potentially explosive situations.

Member Profile radeglom PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Gary Richardson

Province/State: Western Australia
City: Perth
Sep 21, 2012

There is a solution to this problem but the Powers that be don't want to do it!

There is a vast amount of cheap energy available (Quantum Vacuum, Zero Pt etc)but allowing the world to have it will upset the control that the powers that be will have over us so it won't be happening soon.
With this energy vast amounts of water could be purified and made available for drinking and agriculture by reverse osmosis plants which presently use a lot of energy but with this cheap source of energy it would make the production of water for everyone more viable.

Member Profile FriendofOrion PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
taylor

Province/State: Florida
City: Vero Beach
Sep 23, 2012

I did a presentation at my school on the global water crisis. I focused mainly on India. Any one have any good sights that focus on the water crisis?

Member Profile taylor2013 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Herbert J. Odle

Province/State: New Jersey
City: Newark
Sep 24, 2012

taylor2013 wrote:

I did a presentation at my school on the global water crisis. I focused mainly on India. Any one have any good sights that focus on the water crisis?

What kind of sights are you looking for?
Does it matter the region, or does it have to be about India? I have some powerpoint slides with info about the crisis between mexico and the US

Member Profile Draire PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Juana

Province/State: California
City: Los Angeles
Sep 25, 2012

First it was the oil, and now, the water will be the natural resource countries will fight for.

Member Profile Youcity PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Arjun Mohan

Province/State: Kerala
City: Kannur
Nov 6, 2012

Even the water table has been effected here in India. There are changes in weather conditions and patterns(of course the villain is Global Warming!) which results in poor rainfall and that worsens the situation. And I guess your situation won't be different from that of here. If not, then i can assure you all that the Water Crisis will hit all of us within the next 50 years or so and you'll definitely live to see that.

Member Profile ArjunMC PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 62
Mar 21, 2014

One pratical solution could be the use of virtual water. It needs all nations cooperation and participation. Increasing productivity in water consumption. Two solutions are:

1- cultivating what is the best for a specific for which less water is needed.

2- export and import of consumables based on water productivity. An example is production of milk and cheese in water rich areas and exporting the products to the the dry areas.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM