TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesMillennium Development GoalsIs foreign Aid doing any good to Africa

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2
Author

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Re: Is foreign Aid doing any good to Africa
May 27, 2012

charhopelloyd wrote:

Foreign Aid, and Debt, is such an interesting topic. You can look at the history of Africa, in particular, and see how and why Aid is not only important, but somewhat of a responsibility - helping the African nations to rebuild following colonization, and then DE-colonisation. However, has the Aid/Debt helped? Or has it merely trapped poor nations in a cycle, where they are unable to rise up and be truly autonomous and strong on their own? Another question we could ask is about the idea of 'indebtedness' - and consider how we all live our lives 'in debt' to others, in some way or another. Perhaps the issue for Africa is not to question foreign Aid or debt - surely it is doing some good, and nation states should have legitimate rights to seek funds - but the question and challenge is about the KIND of debt, whether or not it is sustainable, manageable, meeting goals, reaching the people etc.

It is in the hands of the Western companies. They shall obey the anti-corruption laws of their own countries. If they do, people will receive the appropriate benefits.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kerry Burns

Poster Rank: Talkative

City: Lancaster
May 30, 2012

It's a wonderful description - "Foreign Aid," how could anyone object to, or criticise such a generous idea ?
Like many other facets of capitalism, a good name hides a dreadful purpose.

At the end of World War 2, the CIA were intent on spreading their network world-wide, and they teamed up with the only organisation possessing such a network, the Catholic Church. There were catholic priests scattered throughout the developing world, hearing confessions and identifying local power structures, and they provided valuable intelligence to the CIA, which in return, gave money for the building of schools and hospitals.

A close look at subsequent American activities in the "third world" makes me think that a high price was paid for those schools and hospitals, by a priesthood intent on educating the next generation along convenient lines.

Should we call this foreign aid, or social engineering ?

Portugal knows about foreign aid.
A large area of land around the town of Alto was wanted by developers, but it was inhabited by hundreds of families which farmed the land in tiny parcels, working organically and sustainably as they had for centuries.
The foreign aid took the form of artificial fertiliser, which boosted the first year's crops so successfully that for the first time, the villagers had a little extra money, which proved a mixed blessing, in many ways, and partly destabilised the close knit community.
Because the fertiliser had interrupted the complex cycles of life in the soil, extra fertiliser (which was no longer free), was needed for the second year's crops, and even more for the next. -- soon, the small parcels of land which had sustained them for centuries became infertile, they moved away, and the development went ahead.
But Hey! that's progress.

Any kind of aid must be rooted in compassion, and compassion requires much understanding of the other's situation.
Western governments seem to place their own immediate interests above those of the people they are supposed to be helping, and even well-intentioned efforts can and have brought disaster.

In George Orwell's 1984, the Ministry of Truth deals in lies, the Ministry of Peace makes war etc.
In 2012, we should learn the true meaning of "foreign aid".

Member Profile Northman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
emmanuel Enow

Poster Rank: Chatterbox
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 37
May 30, 2012

Thanks kerry, you made your points clear with good examples. i buy your ideas just let more out. i really think it is time we start thinking of the real meaning of Aids.

Member Profile gike PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
emmanuel Enow

Virtual Volunteer

May 30, 2012

If you continuously give me loan and i am owing you what does it means?
you give me loan and you know i cannot pay what does it mean?
you ask me to privatize or sell the small industries i have for you to counsel my debts and when i do it you remove twenty percent of my debts in the name of help while you take all the profits are you really helping or killing?

Kerry Burns

Poster Rank: Talkative

City: Lancaster
May 30, 2012

"Helping or killing," it's a good question Emmanuel. But it's a clumsy parasite that kills its host.
The way I see it, the rich farm the poor.
That is - they contain them, give them enough to survive and produce, and then profit from their labour.
The important thing is not to educate them ... it only causes trouble.

From one troublemaker to another Emmanuel, warmest greetings.

This post was edited on: 2012-05-30 at 06:22 PM by: Kerry Burns

Member Profile Northman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
KateDAngelo

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Sep 10, 2012

I think this is a great question, but doesn't have an upfront and clean answer that most people are looking for.

Aid comes in all shapes and sizes. This includes everything from food aid (food packets), infrastructure support (building of new piping and clean water systems), health support (women's health clinics, emergency aid), economic investment (direct investment), among others!

While corruption at the state level is stopping a lot of direct aid from getting to the most vulnerable, economic investment and infrastructural aid can really be seen as indirect. It takes a lot longer to see the impact of it, but micro grants have done amazing things for small business owners (men and women alike) in many parts of the world.

So, I think a good mix of direct and indirect aid has had great impacts on many parts of Africa! I just believe that the perfect mix of "direct and indirect" is a tricky one and one size does not fit all.

Member Profile KateDAngelo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Apr 2, 2013

Reading all these wonderful comments and views, it seems the greatest aid is to eliminate corruption.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
emmanuel Enow

Virtual Volunteer

Jan 28, 2014

I believe if foreign aid is cut off from Africa we shall fight hard and feed our self become more independent and surely Africa will develop in a faster rate than today

emmanuel Enow

Virtual Volunteer

Feb 3, 2014

Statistics shows that Africa is the richest continent based on natural resources it means the problem with africa is just corruption and mismanagement.
What happen if a leader because he wants protection from the western world decided to give country resources to the demand and satisfaction in return for protection to stay in power and the westerner will latter take a small part and give to you as aid and brings his man power to carry out the project. Its a pity

emmanuel Enow

Virtual Volunteer

Feb 3, 2014

Yes western countries should stay out of Africa business.
The even take huge sum of money and came back to give us small in the name of aid to have the chance to take more.
God bless Africa

Meghan Freeborn

City: Tottenham
Nov 19, 2014

To categorically say “no” to whether foreign aid is doing any good in Africa would not be taking into consideration the fact that there are many organizations who have helped to make very real differences. Problems arise though when foreign aid agencies go into countries with very narrow mandates, such as just treating malaria or HIV/AIDS, and fail to recognize the complex social and environmental factors behind the disease. If aid agencies partnered with local communities to address their concerns and build their own capacity, in addition to a more holistic approach to improving health, a bigger and longer lasting influence could be made.

Member Profile meghanf2005 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Helen Brown

Nov 22, 2014

I believe that having foreign aid in Africa is a good thing. For example, in Uganda, the living condition is improving due to sanitation and hygiene initiatives implemented by UNICEF. The problem with foreign aid is that most of the organizations work in silos rather than coordinating with other organizations in the country to have a more comprehensive intervention that is reflective of the community's identified needs. In addition, most foreign aid interventions may be too expensive for the country to sustain after the organization leaves. According to Nakibuuka and Green (2011), the sanitation initiative in Uganda is successful because the resources are available locally.

References
Nakibuuka, P., & Green J. (2011). UNICEF-supported sanitation and hygiene initiatives improving living conditions in Uganda. Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/wash/uganda_60502.html

Member Profile Hbrown30 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Alexa

Nov 24, 2014

This is such a controversial topic. I must agree with Farhad and Siddiqua in that one of the solution could be to revise NGOs and dismount fake ones to truly focus help for those that ARE making a difference and that people receiving aid should be offered a non-paternalistc sustainable help that will make them able and eventually independent to cultivate their own future. But to stay away from Africa or other needing country complete is not the right thing. I personally know nurse working in the streets on Kenya who rescue enslave children and are able to offer them a better life thanks to help coming from the Western world.

Member Profile alexad247 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM