TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesMillennium Development GoalsIs foreign Aid doing any good to Africa

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male & 37
Is foreign Aid doing any good to Africa
Jan 31, 2012

When i look at the issue of foreign aid to Africa it lead me to ask a lot of questions if these foreign aids is really of good help to Africa. For over 50 years, Africa had been receiving foreign aids in almost all domains; health, Agriculture, technology, economic, politics just to name a few till today, the Africa is still asking for more aids and the western world double these aids.
i start asking my self where are all these aids going to? if they were being used well will Africa still be asking for aids? do Africa really need aids to survive? when will Africa stop asking for aids? is Africa really in need of aids?
with many more questions i will like you to share your point of view with me.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile gike PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Robert Dart

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Victoria
City: Warrnambool
Re: Is foreign Aid doing any good to Africa
Jan 31, 2012

I don't think that African nations can build a sustainable economy unless all international debt is cancelled. How can Western countries continue to donate money yet allow developing countries to accumulate an unpayable debt and condemn vast populations of Africans to a life in poverty.

Member Profile rdart PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Samuel Abiodun Gbadebo

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Lagos
City: Lagos
Feb 4, 2012

i sincerely think in my own opinion that it's not a question of whether the foreign aids are doing the African continent any good but the question should be if the bulk of the aid are going into the projects for which the aids were granted or not. It is when we are able to know this that we'll know if it's good or otherwise.

Member Profile mrpresidentsam PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Michal Ogenovska

Feb 8, 2012

Sending foreign aids to afrika is like force feeding a fat kid. Most nations in Africa still follow tribal rules and live according to their tribe's moral and values.
When it comes to running an African country, politics has nothing to do with it. The leader of the biggest tribe in that country will become president of that country. It's the rules.The strongest will rule and eat the weakest.

Unfortunately foreign aid goes to the strongest, making the strongest stronger and the weakest weaker, which fixes nothing.

Western countries will never understand the tribal rules of Africa and Africa will never outgrow the tribal rules.

western countries should just stay out of our African business!!!

Member Profile MichalOgenovska PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
emmanuel Enow

Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Feb 8, 2012

If the western countries know they have to give to the weekest then where then is the problem? why can they not give to them directly?
i wonder

charhopelloyd

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
May 2, 2012

Foreign Aid, and Debt, is such an interesting topic. You can look at the history of Africa, in particular, and see how and why Aid is not only important, but somewhat of a responsibility - helping the African nations to rebuild following colonisation, and then de-colonisation. However, has the Aid/Debt helped? Or has it merely trapped poor nations in a cycle, where they are unable to rise up and be truly autonomous and strong on their own? Another question we could ask is about the idea of 'indebtedness' - and consider how we all live our lives 'in debt' to others, in some way or another. Perhaps the issue for Africa is not to question foreign Aid or debt - surely it is doing some good, and nation states should have legitimate rights to seek funds - but the question and challenge is about the KIND of debt, whether or not it is sustainable, manageable, meeting goals, reaching the people etc.

Member Profile charhopelloyd PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
May 2, 2012

Very interesting and vital subject. Aids, alone, will only increase the debts of nations. People shall learn professions suitable to local potentials. A Japanese expression says: do not give me fish, teach me how to catch fish.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
siddiqua

Gender & Age: Female, 36
Province/State: Karnataka
City: Harihar
May 13, 2012

Aid stifles development. It is necessary only up to a certain stage, and after that any more aid will only interfere in the country's development. I think what some nations need is not aid but investment into business, technology and education, and encouraging entrepreneurs. This will change the economy and make the people take charge of their development according to what they need. And people will have control over their own resources because they will have the technology for processing etc, and enough qualified workforce that will not force them to look elsewhere.

Member Profile sidsayed PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
emmanuel Enow

Virtual Volunteer

May 14, 2012

i buy your idea but do you think those who give aid are really interested to invest? because for example one of the largest producers in the world is Africa and they are not yet able to transform or process the cocoa and sell. same to timber and other primary products.

Farhad

May 18, 2012

gike wrote:

i buy your idea but do you think those who give aid are really interested to invest? because for example one of the largest producers in the world is Africa and they are not yet able to transform or process the cocoa and sell. same to timber and other primary products.

Yes. selling raw material is the easiest but does not cause enogh income and does not involve that much training and expertise. Also, conversion of raw material to manufactured product shall be environmentaly friendly which usually needs higher technology and expertise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

emmanuel Enow

Virtual Volunteer

May 22, 2012

can the transfer of expertise and technology be the solution? what about the issue of giving funding and aid and accepting this same money to be stolen by few unscripulous individuals and keeping in western banks.

siddiqua

Gender & Age: Female, 36
Province/State: Karnataka
City: Harihar
May 23, 2012

The tricky thing about foreign aid is tracking it until it reaches the intended individual. I've seen a few NGOs who receive enormous funding from overseas which are funneled into personal accounts. Some of the NGOs are fake to start with, and others just misuse funds. Ofcourse I think transfer of technology etc will help more than large doses of aid. Governments could invite proposals from abroad to set up areas for these transfers, training etc. But it is easier said than done nerdy ...

Member Profile sidsayed PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

May 27, 2012

gike wrote:

can the transfer of expertise and technology be the solution? what about the issue of giving funding and aid and accepting this same money to be stolen by few unscripulous individuals and keeping in western banks.

You are totally right. The third world definitely needs anti-corruption acts.
Farhad

Farhad

May 27, 2012

sidsayed wrote:

The tricky thing about foreign aid is tracking it until it reaches the intended individual. I've seen a few NGOs who receive enormous funding from overseas which are funneled into personal accounts. Some of the NGOs are fake to start with, and others just misuse funds. Ofcourse I think transfer of technology etc will help more than large doses of aid. Governments could invite proposals from abroad to set up areas for these transfers, training etc. But it is easier said than done * ...

Yes, it true. As I wrote on a quote above, it seems anti-corruption acts shall be effect-fully carried out in most of the third world.
Farhad

Farhad

May 27, 2012

MichalOgenovska wrote:

Sending foreign aids to afrika is like force feeding a fat kid. Most nations in Africa still follow tribal rules and live according to their tribe's moral and values.
When it comes to running an African country, politics has nothing to do with it. The leader of the biggest tribe in that country will become president of that country. It's the rules.The strongest will rule and eat the weakest.

Unfortunately foreign aid goes to the strongest, making the strongest stronger and the weakest weaker, which fixes nothing.

Western countries will never understand the tribal rules of Africa and Africa will never outgrow the tribal rules.

western countries should just stay out of our African business!!!

International business is both complicated and necessary. If western companies obey the anti-corruption of laws of their own countries, then there is some hope that business with the countries of Africa and Asia become clean.
Farhad

« BACK TO FORUM