Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesPeace & ConflictUSA as world police force

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

USA as world police force
Oct 5, 2011

Do you blame the USA for being the world's police force?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile anjue PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jennifer

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Cornwall
City: Penzance
Re: USA as world police force
Apr 27, 2012

anjue wrote:

Do you blame the USA for being the world's police force?

The concept of a global police force is one that is understood by most Britons as, during the time of the Empire, it was accepted that Britain, with its huge navy in control of the world's oceans, took on that role.

The world was a far simpler place then, though, and as Britain had the resources already at its disposal, and an oceanic hegemony to boot, the role was quite straightforward and fairly manageable.

But times change.

As the US is now the world's only genuine global military superpower, the mantle seems to have passed to them by default. A couple of thoughts on this arise:

Firstly, and most importantly, the question of consent. For any form of policing to be effective, it must be done with the consent of the community to which it applies. "Policing with the consent of the people" is another concept which is well understood by the British people.

If any part of the global community does not want to be "policed" by the US, then it will be impossible for them to be effective. Sure, they could impose themselves, but this would only lead to resistance. The ineveitable outcome of that would be conflict, not only with the criminal elements they sought to combat, but also with the people they believed they were protecting.

To be a global policeman, you must have global consent. I'd invite suggestions from the group as to how that could possibly be achieved.

Secondly: Does the USA really WANT to be a global peacemaker in a purely altruistic sense, or would they see that role as more of a political / military advantage, to be exploited in terms of influence, power and resource acquisition..?

America may not necessarily use a large global military presence for altruistic purposes, They may just use it to serve more imperialist aims.

Thirdly; Who pays..? Does the American taxpayer want the burden of paying for global policing..? At the present time, the war in Afghanistan is costing the US people $5billion a week. That is a crippling amount of money in any language.

How much would a "global police force" cost....... and who would foot the bill..?

Member Profile Jennifer1984 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
abbarighton

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Apr 30, 2012

The U.S. assumed the role of policeman of the world, and competed with the Soviet Union for that role, following World War II.

Now, however, Americans are divided about that, and in conflict. And even those who are against religious military industrial imperialism, are somewhat confused about America's rightful role.

I personally like the view expressed in an article titled Neo-Imperialism.

Member Profile abbarighton PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jennifer

Province/State: Cornwall
City: Penzance
May 7, 2012

abbarighton wrote:

The U.S. assumed the role of policeman of the world, and competed with the Soviet Union for that role, following World War II.

Now, however, Americans are divided about that, and in conflict. And even those who are against religious military industrial imperialism, are somewhat confused about America's rightful role.

May I ask you, please: Who gave the USA the authority to be the "global policeman"...? I didn't vote for it, that's for sure.

What do you think when some countries resent or reject what they see as American interference in their local affairs..?

Does the American taxpayer enjoy footing the bill for this role.?

Member Profile Jennifer1984 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
May 10, 2012

It is for years that UN is supposed to represent the international community for global issues. If ever, an international police is needed, UN could be the police.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kerry Burns

City: Lancaster
May 24, 2012

Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, the USA continually makes war on small poorly defended foreigners and loses every time.

Some kind of parallel with the British police there I think.

Member Profile Northman PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
marziyah

Jun 16, 2012

the only question i have is.....who has given the right to the U.S. to act as the world police? i mean....if you are a priest...u need to be religious....if you are a teacher...u need to be educated yourself....similarly...if you want people to follow what you say...you should follow your own rules first....it is no secret that the U.S. is no peace loving nation...they have fought a total of 31 wars...and that is just a brief account....right now they want a war with iran...they have destroyed most of the muslim nations in the world...and to top it all they are still fighting among themselves when their own people are dying of unemployment and hunger... wow....if they are the so called leaders of this world and claim to be a moral police....a piece of advice from a mere mortal...stop trying to appease the 1% and think about the rest of the 99%...coz at the end of the day...we feed you...its only fair that you return the favor...

Member Profile marziyah PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
abbarighton

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Jun 19, 2012

Jennifer1984 wrote:

abbarighton wrote:

May I ask you, please: Who gave the USA the authority to be the "global policeman"...? I didn't vote for it, that's for sure.

What do you think when some countries resent or reject what they see as American interference in their local affairs..?

Does the American taxpayer enjoy footing the bill for this role.?

You misunderstand the point I was making. the U.S. should NOT be the policeman of the world.

That is what the article I cited says.

Please, don't jump to conclusions.

Member Profile abbarighton PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ravi Singh

Sep 5, 2012

USA and China together can become world's peace force. Surely one can make hardware on the ideas of other. So if they both together work for the world's peace, peaceful world is not a distant dream. Let the geographic boundaries prevail but we can see a world with people having no boundaries in their thinking and work together for the betterment of the world.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Ravi K Singh
Author: '3rd Planet - The transformation begins'

Member Profile bravikiransingh PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Joseph

Province/State: Massachusetts
City: Worcester
Sep 26, 2012

Although US is currently the international police, I believe some others countries are pushing, like China. In my opinion, no specific country should be called or considered international police, there are international organizations like the UN. to deal with this, don't you believe that? shocked

Member Profile Whict1993 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Connor Taylor

Province/State: Georgia
City: Marietta
Dec 2, 2012

I feel to use the world 'blame' adds a negative connotation to the point. Indeed there may be downsides to the U.S. policing the world, yet without some of their recent interventions, the world may be a worse off place.

Unless you are communist or strictly under the impression that countries should be left to sort out any and all issues, then you must agree that without the U.S. playing vital roles in places like Egypt and Korea many more countries would be on the verge of being dangerous to other nations. For example, a violent take over of South Korea by the North could have been a disaster. I am not an advocate of Communism yet feel that countries should be able to practice whatever political policy that they prefer. Though when rebelious countries try to violently instill their harsh views on its neighbors, action must be taken. Action must also be taken against any country who is performing a vicious political system against the will of its citizens. When there are rebelions in countries like Egypt, action must be taken against these ill minded politicians.

Policing is not the issue. Then again policing and instilling their political/moral views on this country is the hard part. I feel that a new, neutral policing force, similar to NATO, should be established with a common goal to maintain peace and ensure the safety of this worlds people. I understand that this may be a far reaching idea yet if there were some way to ensure unbiased and well thought out intervention techniques, it should be pursued.

Member Profile ctayl100 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Farhad

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Apr 2, 2013

Super powers may be able to act as police in a small Island or a small country but look what happened in Afghanistan and Iraq. Has the super powers involvement made security and peace?
Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM