TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesEnvironmentSarawak (Malaysia) State Election & environmental issues

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Tasmania
City: Hobart
Sarawak (Malaysia) State Election & environmental issues
Mar 30, 2011

[For those of you who don't know, Sintang in Indonesia where Project Borneo 3D and Willie Smits' new reforestation project is based, is quite close to Sarawak, Malaysia).

This is particularly relevant to Malaysians and particularly Sarawakians, but also anyone concerned with deforestation and the indigenous land rights, or Native Customary Rights (NCR) as they are known in Malaysia.

I have over the past several years made many Malaysian friends including some from various towns and cities in Sarawak. Lately I have been paying attention to political and environmental issues in the country, and of particular and quite urgent interest in the context of this forum is Sarawak, which is having its state election in a couple of weeks.

As many of us here would know, politics, economics and forest management are very closely linked together, and I believe that almost nowhere is this more true than in Sarawak.

So, I am wondering what people think of the state of politics in Sarawak and how people feel about the election when it comes to environmental issues. I am happy to contribute links and articles in this thread in case people need more background etc, but I don't want to push my political views very hard (I'm not Malaysian yet have stronger political views of Malaysia than some), and discussions related to politics can become heated easily, so please try to be mindful that people do hold different views smile

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile dansync PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Steve Patriarco

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 29
Province/State: Massachusetts
City: Waltham
Re: Sarawak (Malaysia) State Election & environmental issues
Apr 4, 2011

Dan, thank you for starting this thread topic! This issue deserves far more attention than it ever receives. Here is an article that came across my wire this afternoon that people may be interested to read:

Sarawak: Malaysian Army Accused Of Intimidating Voters Ahead Of Borneo State Polls Source: Bruno Manser Fund, 4 April 2011

It sounds like you are already intimately familiar with the environmental/social state of affairs under Chief Minister Abdul Taib Mahmud (or simply, 'Taib'), but for those who are not, The Sarawak Report is a website dedicated specifically to this issue. They have done some very eye-opening reports and exposes. Here is their "About Us" section. They also have recently developed an "interactive election monitoring initiative" here, which albeit rudimentary, allows users to submit election reports from around Sarawak. It is important to note the system is *anonymous*, so please use discretion when reading entries and try to corroborate facts before drawing any final conclusions. Such systems can be subject to abuse, from all sides.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
The time to act is NOW. For the orangutans, for the global climate, and for the rural people that have depended on these forests for generations. Please, help me help them by watching this brief video, and thank you!

This post was edited on: 2011-04-04 at 11:26 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Member Profile StevePatriarco PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Steve Patriarco

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 29
Province/State: Massachusetts
City: Waltham
Re: Sarawak (Malaysia) State Election & environmental issues
Apr 14, 2011

There has been a lot more on this front in the last week, friends.

Less than a week before the extremely important Sarawak state election (to be held April 16), the independent news websites of Sarawak Report and Radio Free Sarawak are again reporting an onslaught of massive cyberattacks (i.e., DDOS, etc). Regardless of political disagreements or ideologies, the people of Sarawak deserve to have their voices and opinions heard.

The Sarawak Report, as mentioned previously, has released a number of detailed reports and exposes on the state of social and environmental affairs under the rule of Chief Minister Taib Mahmud. These reports seek to illuminate the mechanics of power within the Mahmud family's inner circle. Their website and the reports contained at (www.sarawakreport.org) have been periodically down due to the aforementioned DDOS attacks.

As of 11:40AM EST 4/14/2011, it is back up, however many links to the exposes and reports remain shut down. This is unprecedented. A rudimentary satellite page has been set up here. For my Indonesian colleagues (and other Bahasa speakers) - a similar temporary website can be found here.

You may also want to follow them on Facebook by searching "Sarawak Report" and "Free Sarawak Radio" and on Twitter at:
http://www.twitter.com/sarawak_report
http://www.twitter.com/radiosarawak

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
The time to act is NOW. For the orangutans, for the global climate, and for the rural people that have depended on these forests for generations. Please, help me help them by watching this brief video, and thank you!

This post was edited on: 2011-04-14 at 04:25 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Member Profile StevePatriarco PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM