TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesEnvironmentIndonesia's moratorium on new forest concessions (a thread for details + discussion)

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male & 28
Province/State: Massachusetts
City: Waltham
Indonesia's moratorium on new forest concessions (a thread for details + discussion)
Mar 25, 2011

This issue truly deserves a thread of its own. I've also thrown this in another thread, entitled, "[POLL] Where do you think the most action could be taken to improve the sustainability and social responsibility of the oil palm industry?" under the "THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENTS" section. But given the huge significance of this, I didn't want it to get too buried.

Gov't to Issue Long Overdue Forests Decree Jakarta Globe, Mar. 25, 2011

As the title implies, this moratorium has been delayed for many months now. So what exactly is this moratorium? How did it come about? What does it apply to? Will it really spell the change that is needed for wildlife, rural communities, and the global climate? Let's get a discussion going! There's a lot to unravel here. Knowledge is power!

This post was edited on: 2011-05-20 at 05:31 PM by: Steve Patriarco

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile StevePatriarco PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Steve Patriarco

Gender & Age: Male, 28
Re: Indonesia's moratorium on new forest concessions (a thread for details + discussion)
Mar 25, 2011

------------------------------------------------
BACKGROUND ON THE MORATORIUM

The two-year moratorium on granting concessions in peatland and primary forests is part of a bilateral agreement with Norway, in exchange for which Indonesia will receive $1 billion in funding for Reducing Emissions From Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD-plus) activities. Read here for a detailed description of Indonesia's plan to protect it's forests, including explanation of the 3 distinct phases of the REDD+ program.

WHAT THE MORATORIUM APPLIES TO

There are currently three versions of draft moratorium decrees, with important differences between them. There are major differences between the first two draft decrees. Perhaps the most important difference is that the Ministry of Forestry’s draft decree applies only to primary forest, while the REDD-Plus task force version applies to primary and secondary forests. The latest draft of the decree, obtained by the Jakarta Globe, states that the moratorium applies to "forests" and "peatlands" and calls for improving the management of these areas. These are quite vague categories, and the specific details make a world of difference. Please, if you come across details, share them in this thread promptly. I will do the same. [From The Jakarta Globe: (3/25/2011) Teguh Surya, head of climate justice at the Indonesian Forum for the Environment (Walhi), said it was important for the contents of the presidential instruction to be made public. “It’s not just a matter of when the decree will be signed, but also what it says,” he said. “The government should have and is supposed to make the contents publicly available first because of the implications for the people and other stakeholders.”]

WHAT THE MORATORIUM DOES NOT APPLY TO

The decree states explicitly that the moratorium will not apply for permits for "strategic national development," including geothermal and oil and gas exploration, power plants and large-scale rice and sugar plantations. The moratorium, taking effect on Friday, May 20, after a five-month delay, will also exempt permits already given in principle by the forestry ministry and extensions of existing permits.

WHEN THE MORATORIUM TAKES EFFECT

While January 1st, 2011 was the designated start date, in order for the moratorium to be legally binding, it must be backed by a presidential decree, which is delayed but expected to be issued this April. Environment Minister Gusti Muhammad Hatta stated on 3/24/2011, “The president said the decree will be issued soon. Once it’s been signed, we can implement the moratorium and there will be no more permits issued for clearing primary forest.” He added that despite the lack of a decree, the moratorium had been in effect all year. “We’ve banned clearing of peatland and primary forests since the start of the year.” Gusti added on 3/24/2011 that, “We’ve already stopped issuing permits. The decree is only to provide legal certainty.”

Update: The moratorium went into effect on May 20, 2011.
TIMELINE OF RELATED ARTICLES (Sources: Mongabay, REDD-Monitor, Jakarta Post, Jakarta Globe, Rainforest News, etc.)

AUGUST 2008
Palm oil producers in Indonesia reject moratorium on forest destruction
JANUARY 2010
Indonesian government report recommends moratorium on peatlands conversion
MAY 2010
Norway to provide Indonesia with $1B to protect rainforests
Indonesia announces moratorium on granting new forest concessions
Indonesia to revoke palm oil concession licenses under forest deal
JUNE 2010
Indonesia's plan to save its rainforests
Indonesian government's promise up in smoke: fires rise by 59 percent
JULY 2010
Large-scale forest destruction in Sumatra undermines Indonesia's deal with Norway
OCTOBER 2010
Norway calls for other nations to step up in fight against deforestation in Indonesia
NOVEMBER 2010
Indonesia's forest protection plan at risk, says report
DECEMBER 2010
New data suggests REDD+ is succeeding
JANUARY 2011
Indonesia delays logging moratorium
Too Many Draft Decrees Delay Indonesia's Logging Moratorium
Indonesia grants slew of last-minute logging concessions on eve of moratorium
FEBRUARY 2011
Indonesia set to clear 3 million ha of rainforest in New Guinea
MARCH 2011
What is the current status of REDD+?
Gov't to Issue Long Overdue Forests Decree
Presid ent Yudhoyono vows to protect palm oil interests
Indonesia: Greenpeace reveals the maps of the moratorium
MAY 2011
Factbox: Indonesia's moratorium on forest clearance <--includes list of exemptions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
The time to act is NOW. For the orangutans, for the global climate, and for the rural people that have depended on these forests for generations. Please, help me help them by watching this brief video, and thank you!

This post was edited on: 2011-05-20 at 05:36 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Fabrice Marre

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Aquitaine
City: Pau
Re: Indonesia's "moratorium" on new forest concessions (a thread for details + discussion)
Mar 28, 2011

The moratorium is part of Phase 2 of the Indonesia-Norway cooperation on REDD.
This moratorium is full of loopholes...
Have a look at this maps from Greenpeace showing Forests and area at risk, concessions. The picture is scary...
like the way this moratorium will be implemented...

Some oil palm companies are operating without Forest Relinquishment Licenses and/or Timber Exploitation Licenses.

These companies include companies owned by Golden-Agri Resources Ltd., Wilmar International, IOI, Sime Darby and Astra Agro Lestari.

Who is investing in those companies??...the Norwegian government.
See the report here
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
"Reach for the moon because even if you miss you will land among the stars"

Borneo's rainforest and orangutans need my help...
I'M READY TO TAKE ACTIONS!
A bit more about me...

Member Profile whereisfabrice PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Steve Patriarco

Re: Indonesia's "moratorium" on new forest concessions (a thread for details + discussion)
Mar 28, 2011

whereisfabrice wrote:

Who is investing in those companies??...the Norwegian government.
See the report here

Fabrice, was Protection Money [PDF], the report by Greenpeace, what you were trying to share? The link didn't come through. In any case, yes, it is *very* illuminating to follow the $, so to speak. It really adds tremendous perspective.

I'd respectfully suggest that people read Greenpeace publications critically; GP does a truly admirable job of drawing attention to oft-ignored issues, but I believe it is also important to consider their agenda and conduct a little further research before drawing any final conclusions.

The time to act is NOW. For the orangutans, for the global climate, and for the rural people that have depended on these forests for generations. Please, help me help them by watching this brief video, and thank you!

This post was edited on: 2011-03-28 at 12:10 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Fabrice Marre

Mar 28, 2011

Steve, I'm not sure what's happening with my links. Anyway, this is the document from Greenpeace I was referring, thanks.

I agree that Greenpeace can sometimes highlight only the bad side of things but it is still a worry to see the way this moratorium is handled.

I'm looking forward to see the result of your research on that.

Borneo's rainforest and orangutans need my help...
A bit more about me...

Steve Patriarco

Re: Indonesia's moratorium on new forest concessions (a thread for details + discussion)
Apr 4, 2011

Sorry for the few days of delay between my posting the skeleton of this thread and filling it in with details, folks! It's been a crazy few days for me since I was awarded my 2012 Fulbright grant to Indonesia. Lots of exciting stuff in the pipeline!

In any case, I hope this thread provides you all with some much-needed details with regards to the moratorium. I am eagerly awaiting the full public release of the presidential decree and will post it as soon as I track down a copy. As you can see, it's quite a complex issue, with lots of push and pull from different stakeholders. As Teguh Surya, the head of climate justice at the Indonesian Forum for the Environment (Walhi) said, “It’s not just a matter of WHEN the decree will be signed, but also WHAT it says.” Definitions are very important. Loopholes, where they exist, are certain to be exploited. It is important that we keep a very close eye on this. A purely profit-driven model now not only can spell disaster for Indonesia's environment, it also can bankrupt the long-term health of Indonesia's economy. This is not just an environmental issue or a human/animal rights issue, it is very much an economic issue as well.

This post was edited on: 2011-05-20 at 05:38 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Fabrice Marre

Apr 14, 2011

Thanks Steve, for this very informative list.

It looks like the moratorium is still delayed...

Indonesia delaying deforestation ban

Please have a look at my video submission for the deforestaction Borneo 3D project, and if you think I would make a good action hero, rate/vote for me!
A bit more about me...

Steve Patriarco

Apr 14, 2011

You're absolutely right Fabrice, it still is being delayed. It would appear to be a case of heavy corporate lobbying (not surprisingly) that is stalling the moratorium promise.

Here is a detailed article if you/others are interested:

Indonesia Delaying Deforestation Ban Asia Sentinel, Apr. 14, 2011

This post was edited on: 2011-05-20 at 05:38 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Steve Patriarco

Apr 14, 2011

I just noticed that we both posted the same article - mine was from the original source (Asia Sentinel) whereas yours was a crosspost onto the REDD-info blog. Folks may find the latter (yours) a useful website for following future REDD developments. Cheers Fabrice, I hope all is going well with you.

This post was edited on: 2011-04-14 at 04:37 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Grand Inquisitor

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Apr 14, 2011

It is the equivalent of shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic...
The moratorium is an agreement written on paper and will not change the outcome of what is actually happening on the ground in Indonesia...
Eventually Indonesia will become like Haiti, a totally deforested wasteland full of poverty stricken people.

Poachers and smugglers will continue to pay their kickback bribes and destroy what little remains of their forest.

Man is not a rational creature when it comes to delayed gratification... The human race has shown itself to be selfish and short sighted when it comes to saving a forest treasure for future generations...
The best we can hope for is that a giant meteor will wipe out the human race and allow nature to start again...

Member Profile inquisitor PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Steve Patriarco

Apr 23, 2011

Grand Inquisitor, I appreciate your perspective and share your belief that man has proven himself to be quite selfish and short-sighted. In far too many ways, we have lost the wisdom of indigenous peoples. At one time, decisions were weighed by whole communities in the context of how they would affect future generations (i.e., the "seventh generation" philosophy). Now it seems many decisions are made simply in the context of how they will affect the next shareholder's meeting. That being said, I prefer to take a more optimistic view of what we can hope for and work towards to make a better future. Surely with the great ingenuity and compassion the human mind and heart are capable of, extinction of the human race is not the only hope for nature to flourish.

Below is a very thorough, recent article on the moratorium by the World Resources Institute. It is a worthwhile read for anyone with any interest in conservation and sustainable development in Indonesia. Many links embedded within it. Check it out:

Ind onesia's Moratorium: An Opportunity for Forests and Industry WRI, Apr. 22, 2011

This post was edited on: 2011-05-20 at 05:39 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Grand Inquisitor

Apr 25, 2011

Steve, Thanks, your optimism gives me hope. You would make an excellent spokesman for GreenPeace or WWF.
You could be their man in Washington D.C., earning an excellent salary, 401K and health benefits. Attending meetings and parties with Political Power brokers. I don't know if it would accomplish anything as far as making the world greener... But at least you could send your kids to a nice University and you would surely drive a nice automobile...
As for me ? I am certainly a "Glass is half full" kind of guy.... I guess time will tell where we are headed environmentally...

Steve Patriarco

Apr 27, 2011

Is Indonesia's Program to Stop Deforestation in Meltdown? The Investigative Fund, 25 Apr. 2011

Grand Inquisitor, I almost prefer to use the word "realistic" over "optimistic." To me the word optimism almost implies pipe dreams of fairness and equity. I believe we live in a fiercely economically competitive world - fairness and equity aren't necessarily always respected. That being said, I believe human beings are always coming up with unbelievable innovations that have the potential to be huge positives for the environment and mankind. Like today, MIT researchers just announced a huge leap in solar efficiency due to enlisting the services of tiny viruses to perform detailed assembly work at the microscopic level. Brilliant. Now that is what I am talking about!

As for organizations like Greenpeace and WWF, they can be absolutely excellent at raising public awareness, but beyond that, they ultimately are not fundamentally changing the economics/politics to favor environmental preservation, not pushing the boundaries of science as in the example I used, nor offering real, macro-scale solutions to mankind's problems. Personally, my interests and dedications lie in finding solutions that balance the environment, the economy and people's needs - not in attending meetings with power brokers merely to attend meetings with power brokers. There is an interesting book I read called Green Inc: An Environmental Insider Reveals How a Good Cause Has Gone Bad" that addresses how large green groups can get bloated, affiliate with quite paradoxical corporate/political entities, and end up really neglecting - or worse, harming - the cause they initially set out to protect. The author would most certainly agree with your assertion that such a job "would not accomplish anything as far as making the world greener."

As for the kids and a fancy car - no intention to have kids and my main car is, and always will be, my bike. I do 32-48 km a day when the weather is agreeable, and I'll keep doing it until I bite the dust - literally or figuratively cool

This post was edited on: 2011-04-27 at 12:58 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Grand Inquisitor

Apr 27, 2011

Steve... You strike me as the "real-deal" my friend... and I hope you get the chance to put your philosophy and ethics to work for the good of the planet.

Being given the chance, or earning the opportunity to prove oneself in the field of Environmentalism may be as simple as being in the right place at the right time or knowing the right contacts...
In your case I am certain it will be dedication and enthusiasm...

Steve Patriarco

May 20, 2011

I am very happy to report that President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono signed the moratorium after a five-month delay. It went into effect on Friday, May 20th.

Factbox: Indonesia's moratorium on forest clearance Reuters, May 20, 2011

I am still analyzing the details, but I believe one thing is certain: despite the list of exemptions - which is somewhat longer than expected - this is absolutely a step in the right direction. I encourage people to read the above article, to learn what the moratorium does and does not apply to (which the article addresses) and to formulate their own thoughts.

This post was edited on: 2011-05-20 at 05:54 PM by: Steve Patriarco

« BACK TO FORUM