Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 22
Re: How the Media Normalizes Violence
Nov 27, 2011

Media is huge in our society today. Every youth sits at home lays back and watches t.v and go on their social networking sites. When we see violence on t.v. at a young age we believe that that is how we are supposed to act when we are older not thinking straight that what they are doing is wrong. All reality shows now have swearing, violence and many scenes of sexuality that are unwanted and unnecessary.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile bjhughes3 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Bradley McKell

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: New South Wales
City: Tamworth
Nov 27, 2011

Protecting Young Australians’ Future

Ben Maxfield posted Wednesday, 23 November 2011

The MRRT will provide the Government with a stable revenue stream to invest in initiatives that will underpin the long-term prosperity of our country. These include a reduction in the corporate tax, to benefit all businesses in the Australian economy, an increase in superannuation contributions and new investment in infrastructure, particularly in regional Australia.
Young Australians face an economic outlook that is more global, competitive & complex than any previous generations. We will be the first generation of Australians that will benefit from an increased superannuation contribution of 12%. Julia Gillard has again built on Keating’s economic vision of a properly supported superannuation scheme that will help deliver financial independence for tomorrows retirees.

For a 30 year old on an average weekly income the new superannuation contribution of 12% will now see them $108 000 better off in retirement. The MRRT offers young Australians a unique opportunity to improve financial independence and long-term economic prosperity.

This is a policy not only supported by the Australian community, but also the great bulk of the mining sector. With the passage of the MRRT through the parliament, Julia Gillard’s promise to secure our nation’s economic future will be enshrined in law, and Young Labor members can continue to carry their party cards with pride.

Tags: Economic, MRRT, Tax

Previous Article Spreading the Benefits of the Mining Boom
Next Article How The Mining Tax will Fuel Growth - With Fairness

+ View all
4 Comments

public Monday, 28 November 2011, 04:28

THREE COURT CASES CRIMINAL, FAMILY, MENTAL HEALTH ABUSES OF MANY. ALL THIS FUNDED BY TAX PAYERS TO INCRIMINATE A PENSIONER. WHAT WORLD DO YOU LIVE IN?
AS I HAVE BEEN ARRESTED FOR SPEAKING (WORDS MISINTERPRETED) YOU ALL LIE CHEAT AND STEAL YEA REAL G

Freestyler_Flyer from TAMWORTH , NSW Monday, 28 November 2011, 04:28

PLEASE be a real group of leaders not leaches of communities. Protecting whose young your own? You are not protecting my children nor has my own protection under legislation been seen in over a decade?
WHY DO YOU ALL HIDE TELL LIES UNACCOUNTABLE ???

Freestyler_Flyer from TAMWORTH , NSW Monday, 28 November 2011, 04:28

You as leaders need to be accountable for the laws as much or MORE than us little folk. You can not even allow me to send a letter to my three children ? Not to mention the ongoing abuse and broken laws against me!!!!!! 3 court cases to see through?

GNCORP from melbourne , victoria Wednesday, 23 November 2011, 15:23

The mining tax I fully support & congratulations on it, but to protect young Australians & the generations to come, the ALP must change the laws to protect/make secure jobs and to stop corporations outsourcing & offshoring our jobs and careers.

Member Profile FREESTYLERFLYER PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Celina Moon

Dec 5, 2011

It does not surprise me that we have become desensitized to violence and sexual content. But how does it start? As Americans, we are consumed with entertainment and it has become the norm to surround ourselves with movies, television and music with violence and excessive sexual content .Violence, especially to our younger youth is promoted to be fascinating, entertaining, excepted and EVERYWHERE. “Today 99% of homes have televisions. In fact, more families have televisions than telephones. The typical American child will view more than 200,000 acts of violence, including more than 16,000 murders before age 18. Television programs display 812 violent acts per hour; children's programming, particularly cartoons, displays up to 20 violent acts hourly.” Although television is censored it is not necessarily safe for children to watch… children are like sponges and will mock what they see/ hear and up to a certain age “children are unable to distinguish between fact and fantasy and may view violence as an ordinary occurrence.” (Beresin, M.D)
According to an article by Huesmann, Ph.D, as the excessive violent exposure rapidly increases so does the risk of actual violent behavior within the home. Education and supervision is key. Parents should know what their children are watching and unintentionally learning. Watching and limiting the amount of television with our kids and discussing it with them can be very impactful towards their future behavior and actions. We shouldn't teach them to be afraid of violence but to educate them so they do not become naive to the real world. Teach them what is real, appropriate, that violence is a part of reality but is not the only solution to every situation. I believe that children are meant to be innocent not desensitized to murder, rape and violence surrounding them everyday.

Work Cited

Beresin, M.D, Eugene V. "The Impact of Media Violence on Children and Adolescents: Opportunities for Clinical Interventions." American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry.. N.p., 2010. Web. 1 Dec 2011.

Huesmann, Ph.D., L. Rowell. "The Impact of Electronic Media Violence: Scientific Theory and Research." Journal of Adolescent Health. (2007): 1-8. Web. 1 Dec. 2011.

Member Profile CelinaMoon PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ismael

Province/State: Arizona
City: Tucson
Dec 5, 2011

There have been strong allegations toward the media that they are showing violence purposely targeting young children now to get more publicity. “Before young children even enter kindergarten they are exposed to over 4,000 h of television viewing (American Psychological Association 2005) and by the time they leave elementary school children will have witnessed 8,000 murders and 100,000 acts of violence on just television alone” (Erwin 1). This is very concerning that children are being exposed to violence at such a young age. This can confuse children into thinking that violence is okay because it is being showed everywhere.

Member Profile arcei1 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ismael

Dec 5, 2011

There is research from Professor GeorgeGeorge Gerbner that violence has gone through the roof. He studied on action movies and he counted how many people died in the movies and found that each movie that comes out more people are being killed and the exposure to violence is being seen. “Gerbner argues that the media conglomerates know this effect very well. Therefore, they treat the fans of violent imagery the way drug traffickers treat drug addicts; that, is they add more and more violent imagery to have the same effect on the viewers.”(pg.1) when the professor talks about they he means the media. This is very concerning and the effect that Professor George Gerbner is talking about is the mean world syndrome. Violence is being exposed everywhere from movies to television to video games, and it doesn’t stop.

ismael

Dec 5, 2011

“We must first teach the basics of media literacy to help people distinguish between genuine feelings of excitement born from true fulfillment and the seductive pseudo-excitement of empty consumable stimulation. Successful media literacy education counters people's susceptibility to manipulation by violence's hypnotic effects. It provides both insight into how these effects work and an emotional climate that supports people's natural desire to be in charge of their lives, to escape harm and to avoid manipulation.” (Johnston pg. 2) In my opinion I believe that Johnston is right because in order to find a solution to this issue we first must educate people but more importantly parents because they will the know what to do to help their children not to be exposed to violence, to block shows that leaks violence and to buy educational games to nurture their children In a better way rather them being exposed to violence.

shanthi

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Karnataka
City: Mysore
Dec 14, 2011

i totally agree.It is sad how media has changed .Being a journalism student,I can assure you that media has turned into a business,where the editor is a manager who looks at the different business options in front of him/her...

Member Profile shanthi21 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Transcription Certification Institute

Province/State: California
City: Irvine
Dec 28, 2011

Media is considered as one of the strong pillars of democracy. Media is the plural of medium, through which people become aware of the news around the whole world through different modes like print or electronic media. So they are really important and have a great effect on the viewers or common people. They must have to do justice with their responsibilities so that they can justify their recognition as pillar of democracy.

Member Profile startyourcareer PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Taylor English

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Jan 31, 2012

The media normalizes violence in way too many ways. The worst thing about the media normalizing violence is how much youth it is impacting. Video games reach such a wide range of youth, it's scary, especially when most video games include violence. I can speak from experience, I have a younger 12 year old brother who plays these video games and I couldn't believe some of the language and behaviour being used within these games. But since it's any everyday thing for youth to play these games what they're seeing becomes normal. As well as television shows, you might see something violent on TV and youth or anyone really may think, "well, if it was okay to show on TV, then what's really so bad about it?". There needs to be something done about the amount of violence that is being promoted.

Member Profile tayenglish PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ryan Wilms

Province/State: Michigan
City: Birmingham
Feb 10, 2012

I think that violence is very bad, and with the media normalizing it, people will be pressured into doing it because it is normal.

Member Profile sparty PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
powerpoint

Mar 10, 2012

Thanx

www.qa44.com

Member Profile qa44 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Dinar Wibowo

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Female, 29
Province/State: New York
City: New York
Apr 19, 2012

I think, in the end, it all comes back to one root which is money. Media conglomerates keep feeding violence to viewers because they know all too well that that's what people want to see. They're trying to get as many eyes (audience) as they could to watch their programs. Higher ratings equals to more profit.

Nowadays, violence and sex are reaching younger and younger audience. It sounds oversimplified but I could see that even with kids today, they grow up so much faster than kids in my generation and a lot of times not in a good way. Seeing news about young adults committing serious crimes have become a lot more common.

Unfortunately, the more we see violence on media the more we accept it as just a normal part of life. We don't see how blatantly media feeds us violence on a daily basis.

Member Profile smallwonder PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Marcos Baker

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Oct 24, 2012

I am very glad that Britney Spears has already overcame her problems in the past. She already busy with her kids and her career too.

Member Profile Overy1970 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Marcos Baker

Oct 24, 2012

I am very glad that Britney Spears has already overcame her problems in the past. She already busy with her kids and her career too.

Marcos Baker

Oct 24, 2012

As an event photographer in NYC I've seen firsthand the frenzy that erupts around particular people. Some of them are absolutely worshipped with a literal red carpet laid out for them. This alone has to at least create a psychological pressure that could easily lead to mental health issues. This is before they are knocked off their pedestals which is even more damaging I'm sure. There is also the aspect of everyone in normal society being "less than" celebrities. IMO the cult of celebrity is a set-up for outright mental illness if not just a symptom of already widespread mental illness.

« BACK TO FORUM