Thread Pages 1 2 3 4  »
Author

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male & 37
Province/State: Illinois
City: Chicago
How the Media Normalizes Violence
Nov 27, 2010

This instructive video is based on the works of Professor George Gerbner who studied this phenomenon for about thirty years. It shows how the constant imagery of violence we see on the screen may make as addicted to violent imagery. Gerbner argues that the media conglomerates know this effect very well. Therefore, they treat the fans of violent imagery the way drug traffickers treat drug addicts; that, is they add more and more violent imagery to have the same effect on the viewers. Very important video.

The video shows very graphic imagery, so be warned. At the same time, all the clips in this video are taken from the mainstream media.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7457024-how-the-media-normalizes-violence-gra phic-video-

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Arslanik PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Savana Joseph

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: California
City: California City
Re: How the Media Normalizes Violence
Dec 7, 2010

I am a newbie to the forum and I am really very happy to see the link that is posted and I would like to see some more resources that are very important and worth knowing.

Media is a biggest media that is enforcing all the other industries and no doubt we have to be very particular about this.

Member Profile savanajoseph PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Razaque

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 36
Province/State: Islamabad
City: Islamabad
Apr 21, 2011

I am not afraid of anything except the media and its hypesmile

Member Profile Riz PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
JersonInsurens

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

May 2, 2011

Media is a political tool for shaping public opinion. Fear is the mind killer, if people are afraid its easy to control them. Switch to independent medias for real information, only then you will know what's happening in the real world. And not just fabricated stories and life celebrations of hollywood stars, world crisis in the perspective of the west, etc.

Member Profile JersonInsurens PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
wooly101

Province/State: Oyo
City: Ibadan
May 2, 2011

I agree, its the same everywhere, no matter what continent.

Member Profile chistel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
wooly101

Province/State: Oyo
City: Ibadan
May 2, 2011

I agree, this problem is found everywhere in the world.

Member Profile chistel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
chmpblkopsgmrda

Province/State: Alberta
City: Edmonton
May 9, 2011

what is a [quote] ''mind killer[''/quote]

Member Profile chmpblkopsgmrda PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Lavinia Loredana Spargo

Gender & Age: Female, 30
Province/State: Bridgend
City: Brynmenyn
May 11, 2011

Unfortunately television shows a lot of violence. It does not promote it but most of the time violence is not presented as a negative thing either. For example in action films the heroes are violent people who use physical power and weapons to eliminate others and in the end they reach their goals. Shouldn't it be different? Shouldn't films teach the population that violence doesn't get you anywhere? Shouldn't they promote the idea of intelligent negotiations instead of murdering your enemies?
I'm probably too naive and still believe that there is something good left in the human kind...
To many people's concern, even cartoons have become more and more violent, and it's not only a recent thing. Look at Tom and Jerry for example, they were considered harmless but what were the two main characters doing all the time? Heart each other. But you can't even compare that to the disgusting amount of violence in nowadays cartoons. Children are at the age where they should be surrounded by innocence and their good and playful spirit should be encouraged.

Member Profile mantissa PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
msuzuki

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
May 19, 2011

Yeah I definitely think it does. When we see people on TV acting violent, we take it as the social or cultural norm and begin to emulate their actions. In addition, I think that when we see media personalities acting violent, we sometimes forget that TV is not reality; we assume that the events occurring in "reality TV" or soap operas actually occur. This leads us to believe that we can act violent without any consequences. This, by fact, is wrong. But yes I definitely agree that the media normalizes violence.

Member Profile mayumisato PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Grand Inquisitor

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

May 26, 2011

CIA influences public opinion by control of the Media...

At various times, under its own authority or in accordance with directives from the President of the United States or the National Security Council staff, the Central Intelligence Agency has influenced domestic and international public opinion through control of the media....

CIA authority to perform psychological operations was assigned to the CIA Office of Policy Coordination, with oversight by the Department of State. The overall psychological operations of the United States, overt and covert, are under the policy direction of the Department of State during peacetime.
Here are some quotes...
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media."
--William Colby, former CIA Director, quoted by Dave Mcgowan, Derailing Democracy

"You could get a journalist cheaper than a good call girl, for a couple hundred dollars a month."
--CIA operative, discussing the availability and prices of journalists willing to peddle CIA propaganda and cover stories. Katherine the Great, by Deborah Davis

"There is quite an incredible spread of relationships. You don’t need to manipulate Time magazine, for example, because there are [Central Intelligence] Agency people at the management level."
--William B. Bader, former CIA intelligence officer, briefing members of the Senate Intelligence Committee, The CIA and the Media, by Carl Bernstein

Member Profile inquisitor PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
siddiqua

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 35
Province/State: Karnataka
City: Harihar
Jun 15, 2011

I watched a news story on Aljazeera where a soldier described how even women and children were being killed bu security forces. What I noticed that this news of killing didn't bring any sort of immediate outrage in me, and my own reaction shocked me. It was a very complacent reaction on my part. Media has normalized violence to such an extent that it does not shock me anymore. Unlike my parents, who are regularly shocked at any violence or atrocity, because I feel their lives haven't been as exposed to new media as my life has been. Until you experience violence first-hand, the media seems to have numbed this normal reaction that viewers should actually possess. But how we react in real-life situations depends on our personal values, and whether you would take the step forward to help someone.

This post was edited on: 2011-06-16 at 12:07 AM by: siddiqua

Member Profile sidsayed PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Parth Trivedi

Sep 29, 2011

To me, media is nothing but a business, and just like a business with money, it will do anything to earn viewers. That means that the story may not come out accurate. It is just like the media in the middle east- I don't recall watching muslims of all kinds, but only the extremists. Why is it that i watch americans of all kinds on t.v? Thanks to the doings of some governments, we are starting to hate people for what they really are not. One way out of this, according to me, is to confront the government as 'one people'. smile

Member Profile TrivediP PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
koteroreo reo

Oct 11, 2011

I think, it’s a helpful topic. I like this topic. I want know some helpful things from this side. It fresh my mind and experience. So lots of thanks for sharing this information with me.

Water Extraction

Member Profile koteroreo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kirsten M

Province/State: Washington
City: Seattle
Nov 19, 2011

By being exposed to all of this violence, we see it and consciously think, "this is bad," yet we don't have the heightened emotional response I think we should have. In a way, giving us witness to all this violence has numbed our emotional response. Though we know the wrongness of violence and know what we should feel when we see it, we do not emotionally feel that. When we do not feel the emotional pull, we are less likely to act out when we do see it. This, I think, is the most negative impact of the media normalizing violence.

Member Profile kima PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Bradley McKell

Province/State: New South Wales
City: Tamworth
SORRY THIS NEWS IS HUGE GET YA HEAD IN IT
Nov 25, 2011

smilesadshockedbig grin

FREESTYLERFLYER says:
bradley,

The Federal Labor Government has secured support for the Minerals Resource Rent Tax (MRRT). This is a historic reform to lock in the benefits of the mining boom and deliver a fair return from the development of the nation’s resource wealth.

While Tony Abbott and the Liberals turned their backs on Australians workers and Australian businesses, the Gillard Government has ensured all Australians can share in the benefits and opportunities of the mining boom.

Wayne Swan
Deputy Prime Minister & Treasurer
@SwannyDPM

This email was sent by G. Wright, Australian Labor, 5/9 Sydney Avenue, Barton ACT to bradley_mckell@hotmail.com

TRUTH HONESTY INTEGRITY RESPECT
**********FREESTYLERFLYER**********

Mr Bradley MCKELL here awaiting any reply from any one from government on many issues not being addressed like Fathers losing it then kill themselves? No you are responsible as I stand accusing all leaders of mass murder alone on this subject.

Yes I am a MCKELL and distant relation of our Great Sir William MCKELL. Also born in the same city and same day 26th sep.

I expect closure on my almost 20yrs of abuse by all government bodies to which I have enough evidence and with a blood line as strong my voice will not be silenced nor shall I back down and walk away. I seek not justice against police that almost KILLED me (cracked skull) ? I blame the doctors and government bodies that then allow a misdiagnoses to be placed upon me to which has cost my life and my own children.

Your legislation has had me before a court of law enough times now for speaking alone, while you sit silent and guilty of the above horrific crimes you commit against me?
SO WHO WILL BE THE FIRST TO ADDRESS THIS MATTER WITH TRUE LEADERSHIP ANYONE (MR SPEAKER)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You now have me unable to be mentally assessed by your own faulty laws and unsustainable legislation by the simple fact >>>
POLICE BRUTALITY DOES NOT EXIST IN YOUR WORLD SO YOU DO NOT TRAIN ANY DOCTOR IN THIS COUNTRY ON THIS ISSUE?

This joke is going to be rotten egg, that if I must willing to tell the whole country and show and prove my claims here however at the same time I am now your
“”only qualified police brutality physiologist “”

The longer you accuse me and stay silent the more I am going to hold the legislators , leaders and dictators of our country accountable. No do not take these words lightly its truth and proof the SIX FIGURE NUMBERS well yes they are building as I have been keeping score though seems you as the great leaders have dropped the BALL!!!!

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:52:42 +1100
To: bradley_mckell@hotmail.com
Subject: Spreading the Benefits of the Mining Boom

Member Profile FREESTYLERFLYER PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM