Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Alger
City: Alger
Re: DeforestAction and Orangutans
Mar 6, 2011

Inspiring!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
If you think change is expensive -- try to stay in humiliation.. Adel Gana

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile gadel84 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
v-kabbani113

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Female, 22
Province/State: Alberta
City: Edmonton
Mar 6, 2011

It is extremely admirable that these youth thought of a way to help out the world without being on the side lines. It is one thing to say you want to do something to help and a complete other thing to actually do something about it. Lots of youth around the world are discouraged by the fact that they feel as though they are not powerful enough to make change happen. Well for everyone out there that feels that way, these youth are living proof that if you want to see change happen all you have to do is do something about. If we all work together there is nothing that we cannot do, and thank-you for making change happen and kick starting a world event that will change lives for ever. Whether it is the orangutans or the trees, or people in general, because of you these three things will be greatly affected by your idea/organization.

This post was edited on: 2011-03-06 at 07:54 PM by: v-kabbani113

Member Profile v-kabbani113 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sian

Gender & Age: Female, 29
Province/State: New South Wales
City: Wollongong
Mar 11, 2011

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY VIDEO AND VOTE FOR ME! cool ECO-WARRIOR IN THE MAKING HERE wink

http://gg.tigweb.org/tig/deforestaction/51953/

if u can then throw a vote my way...

On the topic of the article, I'm glad to see credit where it is due! These kids have shown the way for the rest of us to become active in this and other causes! That they were able to buy a piece of forest the size of singapore is inspirational!and personally I am simply itching to become involved! I'm working for the wilderness society at the moment which is an australian non for profit environmental activist group and advocacy group! In my work with WS and my personal beliefs I have always held a strong regard for the notion of the power of the people to effect change, empowerment of the seemingly powerless and I hope to effect change in some small way through my everyday life!
If given the chance though, I'd love to take the opportunity to inspire others to do the same and also get a head start in my aspirations through this competition...
again my entry is; http://gg.tigweb.org/tig/deforestaction/51953/

cheers
Sian smile

Member Profile sian88 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Fabrice Marre

Gender & Age: Male, 38
Province/State: Aquitaine
City: Pau
Mar 12, 2011

This project really takes advantages of the power of internet to develop this amazing collaborative initiative. I think we should not forget to mention all the teachers who have chosen to involved their schools. I hope many more teachers will follow the same path. Kids are our future decision makers.
I am proud to be involved in this great community and this project.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
"Reach for the moon because even if you miss you will land among the stars"

Borneo's rainforest and orangutans need my help...
I'M READY TO TAKE ACTIONS!
A bit more about me...

Member Profile whereisfabrice PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mitcho

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Male, 30
Province/State: Alberta
City: Banff
Mar 12, 2011

Great example of how one idea can have such an impact and influence others. It's great to see the next generation starting early and the education system supporting this change and awareness that previous generations did not have.

Member Profile Lakeland PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sian

City: Wollongong
Mar 12, 2011

Of course! The teachers do a great job inspiring today's youth to learn they can use their voices! but we must give these kids credit for putting themselves forward! smile

Member Profile sian88 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Spob

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

City: Sydney
Mar 13, 2011

I think it's great to get youth involved in action because, as corney and cliche as it sounds, they are the ones who are going to have to clean up this mess!

Can't wait for the 3D movie to come out so I can show everyone!

Member Profile spob PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Steve Patriarco

Gender & Age: Male, 32
Province/State: Massachusetts
City: Waltham
Mar 13, 2011

Hey all! For those of you who are interested in launching public awareness initiatives and/or corporate accountability campaigns of your own, my friends at Rainforest Action Network have posted some wonderful resources for you to get started. (http://ran.org/category/resource-class/activism-resources) I also have a number of high-res PDF files (palm oil informational flyers) from previous campaigns if anyone would like them, as well as a couple rolls of stickers if you have a US postal address. They are designed primarily for super-market and/or shopping mall campaigns, but let me know if your interest falls more in the government/policy end of things as I have quite a bit of resources in that area as well. Please just shoot me a private message with your email address and the type of campaign you are looking to run!

Member Profile StevePatriarco PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Steve Patriarco

Mar 13, 2011

Direct link to "The Burning Season" an absolute must watch for those who have not already seen it.

If you are interested in Project Borneo 3D - or better yet, in conservation and sustainable development in SE Asia more broadly - I encourage you to add this to your *very* short list of videos/documentaries to watch!

The time to act is NOW. For the orangutans, for the global climate, and for the rural people that have depended on these forests for generations. Please, help me help them by watching this very brief video, and thank you!

This post was edited on: 2011-03-14 at 01:25 PM by: Steve Patriarco

Steve Patriarco

Mar 14, 2011

If you want to stay up on conservation issues in Indonesia and the Asia-Pacific region, you should really consider subscribing to the Indonesia Nature Conservation Newletter (INCL). I've found it to be indispensable, and believe you will too - particularly if you don't routinely scour regional newspapers, tropical science journals, etc. but would really like a resource that pulls that information together for you on a weekly basis. I've made a Go ogle Doc Screenshot of the Table of Contents of this week's issue to give you a better idea of what you'd be signing up for. It's good I promise! * Knowledge is power! Enjoy and spread widely.

The time to act is NOW. For the orangutans, for the global climate, and for the rural people that have depended on these forests for generations. Please, help me help them by watching this very brief video, and thank you!

This post was edited on: 2011-03-14 at 01:27 PM by: Steve Patriarco

niwa rahmad dwitama

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 25
City: Jakarta
Mar 18, 2011

good articles, worth to read.

In Indonesia, we get this deforestation problem endangered the biodiversity. esp. by opening huge project of oil palm plantation

Member Profile niwadwitama PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Robert Dart

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Victoria
City: Warrnambool
Mar 25, 2011

What a fantastic opportunity for young people to engage and actively promote the plight of the orangutans and the importance of protecting Earth's rainforest.

Wishing you all the best with the project and looking forward to seeing the movie in 3D!

smile

Member Profile rdart PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Yangki Imade Suara

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Male, 28
Province/State: Jawa Barat
City: Bandung
Mar 29, 2011

When I was kid and I live in very small village in West Sumatra Province. I heard Orangutans every morning/evening. So amazing. smile

Member Profile yangkiimade PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Daniel Carter

Province/State: Tasmania
City: Hobart
Mar 29, 2011

Direct link to "The Burning Season" an absolute must watch for those who have not already seen it.

If you are interested in Project Borneo 3D - or better yet, in conservation and sustainable development in SE Asia more broadly - I encourage you to add this to your *very* short list of videos/documentaries to watch!

It's currently "not available" from that link sad

However, I have been informed by @anactionmovie on Twitter that it is available on DVD in Australia - hopefully digitally and elsewhere soon:

If anyone knows where it can be viewed online, do post.

Another film worth watching is Green

Member Profile dansync PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tom Smith

Gender & Age: Male, 28
Mar 30, 2011

Hi guys,

There are some great articles up here! Really inspiring!

I just wanted to share this article with you. Whilst it's quite sad, it does have a great ending. Remember, this is what we're fighting for, one incredible creature at a time!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3489794/Helen-the-orphan-orangutan-escaped-being-eaten-in- Indonesia.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

Big.Love.

T

Member Profile TomSmith PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM