TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesTechnologyWhat's the big deal with Twitter?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male & 31
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
What's the big deal with Twitter?
Jul 3, 2010

Why is twitter so game changing social networking wise? I still don't get it, I understand that for the most part it gets people socializing and can be a great tool to spread awareness on almost every and any issue in a few words but is it just another fad that people will latch on to only to see fade away years from now.Does anyone agree facebook has way more staying power in terms of features and usefulness?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile hankscorpio PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Matt

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Re: What's the big deal with Twitter?
Jul 9, 2010

Typically you have to become friends with someone on Facebook to see their status updates. While Twitter also has a privacy setting to allow this, they encourage open profiles. This allows you the potential to receive and communicate with people that may otherwise never have accepted that friend request, either because they have their whole life on facebook, or they value their privacy. Twitter is great for news purposes. Of course you will always have the typical "I'm on the bus... I'm walking home... I'm sitting down" tweets mixed in.

Member Profile mattstyle PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Will Bates

Gender & Age: Male, 30
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Sep 27, 2010

I don't really get Twitter either, not much can be said within the character limit. Just seems like loads of people posting useless stuff to try and get people to their websites.

Member Profile willbates PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Hyeon-seok

Province/State: Seoul Teukbyeolsi
City: Seoul
Sep 30, 2010

I'd like to stress the point that Twitter is a great multilateral communication tool that has never been.
In human history, communication has always been a key factor for the development of society. So It is important how well and fast the information can spread out with the reliability.
In this aspect, I think Twitter is a initial innovative form of the communication.

This post was edited on: 2010-09-30 at 03:01 AM by: Kim Hyeonseok

Member Profile wmcst PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Danielle

Sep 30, 2010

I believe so that there's no big deal with Twitter. The difference is that you can do nothing expect to post your shout out. It is more user friendly and it's hard to learn and understand. It's great for those who want to share anything that's going on to their friends and followers as well. You might set some privacy so you can protect your tweet.

Member Profile daniellehudges PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Steve Collins

Province/State: New York
City: New York
Oct 13, 2010

It's just easier to update with the character limit so just get the meat of what ppl are saying instead of fluff.

Member Profile Bricktop PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Robert Dold

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 53
Province/State: Texas
City: Seguin
Oct 14, 2010

Some times fluff is the stuff that makes stuffing so great but time is short I am late...

Twitter is great for those running to date as the time to relate has a place that must wait. Getting information out makes twitter better than being with a babysitter who only puts one to sleep. There are other places that people who twitter go to relax after passing those who gitter knowing only of how to fritter away the time as they play that is all I may say as my day grows away into my momentum of fun...

Member Profile robonvac PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Enthusiast225

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Nov 29, 2010

I think the USP of twitter is the fact that it is updated so frequently with useful tidbits. A good example of this is promo code twitter feeds that distribute the latest active discount codes - which are often out of date on other sites. I recently got 20% off canvas art prints thanks to twitter - it's worth checking out if only as a consumer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

Member Profile Enthusiast225 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Brandon Beach

Mar 10, 2011

I mostly just use it to follow my favorite sports stars and some of my close friends to see what is going on in the world.cool

Member Profile bbeach2013 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Fabrice Marre

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 38
Province/State: Aquitaine
City: Pau
Mar 11, 2011

I like the fact that with Twitter, it is possible to connect directly with people from all around the world without having to first become friend.
Facebook is more a social media to connect with friends, talk about my own life. Twitter is more an open network to connect with total strangers rather than friends.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
"Reach for the moon because even if you miss you will land among the stars"

Borneo's rainforest and orangutans need my help...
I'M READY TO TAKE ACTIONS!
A bit more about me...

Member Profile whereisfabrice PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Heather Ho

Gender & Age: Female, 24
Oct 14, 2011

One thing I don't like about twitter is the word limit. Other than that, I think twitter is quite efficient.

- Facebook has been changing its format every once in a while (which only makes things irritatingly complex), but twitter keeps its platform simple and easy to use.

- Tweeters can customize their homepage theme because it is an existing function on twitter. As for facebook, all you have is the same old blue-and-white format. You have to download an add-on to install different themes.

I like facebook just as much as Twitter. Both social networks have advantages and disadvantages. People just have different needs and wants, and twitter just happens to be the one for some users.

Member Profile heatherho1129 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Enthusiast225

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Nov 30, 2011

I feel Twitter let's you connect with a wider audience, it's not so odd following someone you don't know than it is to add someone on Facebook you don't know.

It's also a way for brands, famous people, bands etc to keep in touch with everyone a lot easier as I feel it's more direct and efficent than Facebook.

Member Profile Enthusiast225 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
mandy chang

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Melaka
City: Melaka
Feb 27, 2012

First of all, with twitter, you can get your information and updates shared across the web much faster. This is especially for breaking news as it will appear on twitter first more than anything else. Don't forget, you can also participate in a group chat using the hashtag and this is especially useful for special events involving a lot of people. Of course it has its own disadvantages like the character limit but hey, sometimes being concise means getting the information through much faster.

This post was edited on: 2013-03-26 at 03:29 PM by: Fraser McFarlane (Moderator)

Member Profile mandyc PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Transcription Certification Institute

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: California
City: Irvine
Mar 5, 2012

Twitter is fabulous.It rapidly gained worldwide popularity, with over 300 million users as of 2011.You can share information and updates so fast through Twitter.

Member Profile startyourcareer PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Norman Clark

Province/State: Gujarat
City: Ahmedabad
Apr 24, 2012

Twitter is a great social networking site.It allows user to make profile uniquely and different from other.It has own privacy setting for that. It allows promotion also.

This post was edited on: 2013-03-26 at 03:29 PM by: Fraser McFarlane (Moderator)

Member Profile normanyclark PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM