TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesHuman RightsBorder regulations and refugees?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Female & 27
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Border regulations and refugees?
Aug 28, 2009

Should border regulations be more compassionate towards refugees?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile BoutrosBoutros PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
siddiqua

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 36
Province/State: Karnataka
City: Harihar
Re: Border regulations and refugees?
Aug 28, 2009

of course. lots of reasons compel young people to take the arduous road to anotehr country, illegally unfortunately but they, well, many have dreams and i think border police treat them in an inhumane manner. its scary enough being in an alien country.

Member Profile sidsayed PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Siddiq

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Orissa
City: Koraput
Sep 19, 2009

Do we need borders at all? Lets take globalization to next level. lets abolish all borders, no border police, no regulations. people free to move to their region of their choice. Lets make the World place for all people to live with dignity. Thats my dream.

Member Profile siddiq92 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Siddiq

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Orissa
City: Koraput
Oct 11, 2009

Miss Boutros! Was not the greatest democracy in the World, USA a melting pot of refugees? So, we restrict our movements by drawing imaginary lines & erecting unnecessary fences around us and curb creativity and prosperity on a large scale, quoting insecurity (which exists only because of our suspicions).

So, no or minimal border regulations, and a warm embrace for a refugee (who trusts the host nation would be kind to him/her)is the need of the hour.

We can avoid so many deaths of hungry refugees sailing in damaged boats in dangerous seas with dreams of a decent future. So many children have n't known what childhood is like in happy times. They deserve our empathy and support.

Member Profile siddiq92 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Justin Lawrence

Gender & Age: Male, 23
Oct 22, 2009

Isn't it true we all came from the same place, no borders? we were naught but refugees of a changing climate aeons ago. Who is to say we should act different now. Refugees are refugees, people in need of our help, in need of a safe home. How can we deny that, and yet expect their imports and food in return. I am afraid to say that our world is one with so many differences that we struggle to get past, without avail. But aeons ago we were one, do we have to revert to the past just so we can stop the violence? If we do, then i am all for it, but i would like to see us moving forward, and forgetting the last millions of years when we grew apart. They are like us, the refugees, and we should treat them not like a disease, or a plague, but like human beings in peril. Have compassion, make the world to somebody, and someday maybe this world will change for the better.

Member Profile JustinDream PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Elaine Cohen

Gender & Age: Female, 58
Nov 23, 2009

I would like to say I am enjoying reading this.

People are people, and we come in all shapes and sizes.

and those who come as refugees, should be welcomed.

But our policys should be changed to allow them to become, and help them become part of a productive world.

Most people want to move forward, and prossper, but if we bring in Refuggees then say, NO school or no work, what is left is welfare, and that is a down hill spirial, and not what is wanted by most refugee familys,

Yes they come broke, but let them have training in our ways, and let them go to work. becayse that is why they came
to have a place to amake a safe home

and they need school and work to do it/
not long term handouts.

No one wants to be on charity for very long, becusae after awhile, a wierd thing happenes

People will think it is owed to them
Like People who become Royalty
they just expect that welfare, and angery if they do not get it

But if they are allowed to be normal and productive, they flurish and so does the nation they live in

to the Future
Love
E

Member Profile Edenstory PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mark Schmidt

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Male, 57
Dec 31, 2009

Perhaps the single most destructive practice in human history has been the creation of artificial political borders by imperialist powers. Once created, there is great resistance to changing them based on the needs of resident peoples.

We need a new outlook on borders.

Member Profile schmimar PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Personalized Birthday Supplies

Gender & Age: Female, 47
Jul 29, 2010

Illegal is illegal. I have dreams of doing lot of things. It doesn't mean I use illegal means to achieve them

Member Profile costumefly PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Andy

Province/State: Arizona
City: Tucson
Dec 6, 2010

I think there is way to much effort with the borders. Way to much time and money wasted when they could be figuring out how to bring Arizona out of its economic slump. Not to mention being stuffed in the back of truck that looks like an animal control truck doesn't exactly serve a purpose.

Member Profile Dc2integra520 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Nancy

Dec 6, 2010

I agree.

Member Profile NancyL PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
JJ

Dec 8, 2010

there is way too much money being spent on border protection. im from arizona and when i see border patrols just sitting on tiheir phones at check points it really makes me mad. there has even been cases here in arizona of border patrol agents murdering immigrants.its sad to see that this country is trying to keep out what this country is made up of and thats immigrants. border regulations are needed but its gone way too far and something needs to get done about it.

Member Profile jmadril51 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
scott wheeler

Gender & Age: Male, 25
Province/State: New York
City: Ithaca
Mar 29, 2011

Yes I would argue that border regulations should be more lenient toward refugees due to the fact that any person who is forced to leave his or her own country out of fear of persecution, war, violence, etc, deserves a second chance at life. No one individual deserves to be persecuted against due to their beliefs unless their beliefs are detrimental to the well-being of the country, the people, and themselves .

Member Profile swheele1 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Joe Hamil

May 18, 2011

A lot of wonderful thoughts - in the abstract. It sounds so wonderful and altruistic and makes you feel so warm and fuzzy to say, "those who come as refugees should be welcomed" or "they're just looking for a better life" or "they have dreams and deserve a second chance" or . . . whatever. Unfortunately, in the real world, the realization of all those hopes and dreams cost money. Who pays?

So . . .

How many "immigrants" are you willing to support?

How much of your paycheck will you forfeit to pay for their food, housing, schooling, job preparation, health care, etc.?

How much of your children's education are you willing to fore go so that illegals can get an education instead?

How much space in your house are you willing to give up so they can have a decent place to live?

How many of your little luxuries are you willing to fore go so they can have the bare necessities?

. . . and on and on and on.

The truth of the matter is that we can't physically FIT all the poor, hungry, under privileged people in the world inside the confines of our borders; we can't possibly feed, house, clothe and educate them all; and we certainly can't provide meaningful jobs for them all.

I live less than 50 miles from the Mexican border, and have for most of my life. I know and have known thousands of immigrants - legal and illegal. Most of them are nice, hard working people, and most have heartbreaking stories.

Doesn't matter. The unfortunate truth is that one or two or a family of unfortunate immigrants are a desperate and heart rending story; millions and millions of them, however, are something else again. The large influx across our southern border for the last few decades has created a drain on our health care, welfare, and education systems that we can not afford. Don't believe it? Look at California and their budget problems.

Meanwhile, we have hungry, uneducated, poor people in our own country that need a helping hand. Where is it? Who speaks for them? How can we expect to feed, clothe, house, educate and employ everyone who wanders across our border if we can't do at least as much for our own people?

Member Profile Hmmm PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kathryn Sabo

Gender & Age: Female, 27
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Apr 30, 2012

I agree with Joe.
It would be great to accept and welcome all refguees and immigrants, but the reality is that there are people in our home countries that need just as much help as the immigrants that want to come in. So, doesn't it make sense it support our own and make sure all Canadians (or other country's citizens) have a good life before we attempt to support people from other countries?

I hate to sound insensitive, but to me it makes more sense to support Canadian citizens first, instead of putting more money and resources to help immigrants.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Kat Sabo

Member Profile KathrynSabo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Opobo

Gender & Age: Male, 30
City: Kamuli
Dec 28, 2012

I believe that it should be. Looking at the definition of refugees, it is very clear that these are the people who do not have proper place to live in their country due to a number of reasons that can not allow them to stay in their home country. They do not have any proper documentation and these requires the border regulations to be a little flex for them. That is why the UN have given them better support to help them access services in countries where there are are better services.

Member Profile opobo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM