TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesHuman RightsAre refugees a burden?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Female & 27
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Are refugees a burden?
Aug 28, 2009

In your opinion, are refugees a burden to the host country that takes them in?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile BoutrosBoutros PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
siddiqua

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 35
Province/State: Karnataka
City: Harihar
Re: Are refugees a burden?
Aug 28, 2009

most economically well off countries would consider them a burden because they're so well regulated that even a minor glitch would make cracks in the entire system. especially when any country has allowances for the unemployed and poor etc, agreed its a burden on the country's exchequer. but i think countries should be accomodating and allow refugees to settle and integrate. it makes sense in the long run when they also have jobs etc.

Member Profile sidsayed PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Suneboy

Poster Rank: Chatterbox
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 29
Province/State: Bagmati
City: Kathmandu
Aug 29, 2009

Actually it depends upon the nature of the country, if the country is developed, the refugee might not be burden. Talking about the developing and underdeveloped countries in being host can be burden because they even dont have sufficient time and resources for their own development, then how can they feed the refugees. Hence, it is contextual.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
sun-e-boy (सूर्य)

Member Profile suneboy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Siddiq

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Orissa
City: Koraput
Refugees are a boon!
Sep 19, 2009

Almost all the major cities across the globe, have been built by immigrants. Refugees, nay, impoverished immigrants-thats a better word, enrich the cultural diversity. Let the host country feed one mouth, it is getting two hands and one brain. Which is more? Need to say again, immigrants are a boon to the host country.

Member Profile siddiq92 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Elaine Cohen

Gender & Age: Female, 58
Nov 25, 2009

Refugges are New Life Blood,

they are the will to servive, and thrive
they have Dreams of Glory for their generations to come.

But those who complain, also limit the amount of new refugee to a healthy country. And that causes, hardship, the THEM and US, which always comes down to

Divide and conquer!!

Refugees, are a Gain, in the eyes of those who seek Growth, and a Prospouse future, planned out ahead of them.!

To the Future
Love
E

Member Profile Edenstory PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Scott Cocking

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Jan 4, 2010

I believe that the more refugees are allowed to integrate (not assimilate--there is a key difference) into a country, the better off the country becomes. Using the concept posited by Richard Florida (Rise of the Creative Class) I think refugees can be viewed as assets and not burdens.

There is a risk, though, that if they are not allowed to integrate but are allowed in (Germany is a key example) then because they have no opportunity for upward mobility, statistically they can become a burden.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
SCOTT COCKING
Global Citizen | Worldwide Instigator

Member Profile ScottCocking PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
john locksmith

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Male, 49
Province/State: Arizona
City: Phoenix
Feb 5, 2010

If Refugees live illigaly occupying areas as slums then they are burden otherwise not if they live on rent or by Govt aid.

Member Profile locksmith PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Anna

Gender & Age: Female, 22
Feb 13, 2010

I think we should look at refugees as individuals rather than a general assumption of people. I think the host country (which preferably should be developed) should welcome the number of refugees as a compliment that they can find shelter and security in a better place, which is theirs. This is no different than if you or I were to help the homeless. To regard these people as burdens would be inhumanely cruel. However as always the case, if we were to look at the economical side of things, it would be a different story. I think whether refugees, citizens or the occasional roaming tramper, we are all human and deserve a safe place to call home.

Member Profile HiddenArtess PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Feb 26, 2010

It sounds harshe but I think they can be. That does not mean, however, that a country should not take them it. It just means the country needs to look for solutions that help the refugees, while, at the same time, ensure citizens of the host country aren't "burdened" in the process.

Member Profile animalrights89 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
João Miguel

Gender & Age: Male, 29
Province/State: Ceara
City: Fortaleza
Mar 9, 2010

It does sound quite harsh to think of refugees as a burden. People usually become refugees when some kind of persecution has been made against them, which means they are on the run. They are usually suffer from stress disorders, they lost relatives or are away from them.

It is better to consider them a challenge posed for the host country's political administration to deal with. It should come up with temporary solutions to offer these populations special services of welfare and well-being.

Most importantly, also, is not to forget the situation at the refugees' country of origin. I'm not saying there should be military interventions to stop all sorts of conflicts. No, rather the contrary: there are internationally legitimized political means (such as multilateral panels, sanctions, conferences, international courts) that could help the rise of an earlier solution to conflicts that create refugee-like situations.

Member Profile joaomiguel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
S.M

Gender & Age: Female, 30
Province/State: Al Qahirah
City: Cairo
Jun 1, 2010

I believe that the refugees immigration should be controllable, as some of you said, most of the countries were built by immigrants and refugees, but leaving the issue with out governmental control might switch it from an advantage into a huge disadvantage.
Rules should regulate their status and all, to take the best out of it, as well as helping these people who came with dreams and hopes to build something out of what they came for, therefore they wont be a burden at all .

Member Profile salma86 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ria Asprec

Jun 9, 2010

I agree. I suggest that refugee immigration be regulated. This is so that both the refugee and the host country won't suffer. It must regulated according to the capacity of the host country to provide shelter and employment to them. That way, refugees and host country will be helping each other accordingly.

Member Profile Lia88 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
takondwa kaliwo

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Province/State: Blantyre
City: Blantyre
Jun 11, 2010

they could be a burdern if not properly regulated... in my country people complain about lebaneese refugees because they do bussiness while exploiting local traders.... & that they dont invest in my country but keep their money for their country... however for me refugees can be a good assert for a country if properly regulated coz if the do proper bussiness and invest in the host country,,,,, much better..

Member Profile takondwa PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Ria Asprec

Jun 11, 2010

I think rules and policies or programs should be set before accepting refugees and refugees must abide by these policies. They cannot use the host country only for their own favor. They should work hand-in-hand with the host country as a way of gratitude for taking them in. *
htt://www.insertt.com/pharmacy-technician-salary.html

This post was edited on: 2010-06-11 at 02:43 AM by: Ria Asprec

Member Profile Lia88 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
areej

Jul 12, 2010

if left neglected in countries that are economically rich, yes then they definitely become a burden, These countries can afford to take them in educate them and be able to benefit from them as manpower so in the long run both are better off, but only in countries with rich resources and good governmental and educational systems,

Member Profile jeejo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM