TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesPeace & ConflictDo you think that video games encourage youth to use aggression?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Do you think that video games encourage youth to use aggression?
Aug 21, 2009

Since its beginnings in 1970s, the video game industry has experienced tremendous growth. This explosion of the video game industry has had many people questioning the detrimental effects of video games. The main concern is with the violence within these games.

Thus, do you think that video games encourage youth to use aggression? Do you think that besides the concern over negative effects, video games have positive effects on development?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile akrmin PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Holly

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Re: Do you think that video games encourage youth to use aggression?
Aug 21, 2009

I agree,
all the violence in video games definitely encourages youth to be aggressive. Youth is very impressionable, I have had a few friends do some violent things because they saw it in a video game (and other forms of media), the problem is they forget reality has consequences

Member Profile DrewX680 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
idreeskhan

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 34
Province/State: Alberta
City: Calgary
Aug 21, 2009

i Agree with You, the video games for sure encourage youth & especially kids to be agressive and more violent. There is always fighting and violence scene in vedio games, rather than making it nice environment friendly AND PEOPLE FRIENDLY.
Most of the time the side effects are Negative.

This post was edited on: 2009-08-21 at 03:23 PM by: muhammadidreeskhan

Member Profile muhammadidreeskhan PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Negina

Gender & Age: Female, 2014
Province/State: Kabol
City: Kabul
Aug 28, 2009

They can potentially make for an artificial environment to learn many things, including violence. I think it's about time that companies which produce such contents realize their socialy responsibility along with the cost that comes in influencing minds badly.

Member Profile vertigo7 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
siddiqua

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Province/State: Karnataka
City: Harihar
Oct 19, 2009

I'm not so sure about video games promoting violence. I have played a few violent games and the thrill to kill is great on the screen, but I don't think it could translate into real life. stick
out tongue I know so many hard gamers and they aren't violent. Maybe always in a daze, but violent, never. Its only a few percentage of young people who are influenced because you can look at how many young people play games versus how many actually commit violent crimes. The only change is in family values or values in society where a lot of things like showing your anger have become acceptable.

Member Profile sidsayed PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sheila Gamuchirai Tsuro

Gender & Age: Female, 22
Oct 19, 2009

l dont think so l think its more an issue of society accepting it or giving an impression that aggesion is somewhat alright. Here in africa we have video games like the rest of the world but we don go about acting things out. l know giuys who spend like 24hrs in front of an X-BOX but because it has been drilled into us that you never act out these these thing it rarely ever happens.

Member Profile sheilachanel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Siddiq

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 32
Province/State: Orissa
City: Koraput
Nov 1, 2009

akrmin wrote:

Since its beginnings in 1970s, the video game industry has experienced tremendous growth. This explosion of the video game industry has had many people questioning the detrimental effects of video games. The main concern is with the violence within these games.

Thus, do you think that video games encourage youth to use aggression? Do you think that besides the concern over negative effects, video games have positive effects on development?

Violence is condemnable whether be it real or virtual. The Company we keep affects our behaviour too. So, if violent video games are the best pals of children, adolescents and youth, then what else can we expect from the generation NEXT? Only violence. Indifference. Aggression.

The positive effects of video games (simulations) are that if you are training as an aero-pilot or an army combatant, you are provided with a virtual work or battle field to get trained without getting hurt. Then, playing chess and other mind games are really mind sharpeners.

My opinion is that the real world is worth living every moment and we can't afford to lose those moments playing in a virtual world.
---------------------------------
Siddiq

Member Profile siddiq92 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kate23

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 40
Province/State: North Carolina
City: Hickory
Dec 2, 2009

While violent games may have an effect, to say that it is the root cause may be going a bit too far. It all still boils down to your values in life.

--------
Kate
MedifastHealth.org

Member Profile Kate23 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Chase

Province/State: Florida
City: Orlando
Dec 7, 2009

I don't believe games to encourage violence any more than i believe a book with fighting in it encourages violence, and thats all video games are, they are a 3-d representation of stories that allow the user to become part of the story. It may make the user think it'd be cool to go do something like it, but in most cases not to the extreme. Like if a user plays a video game with fighting or shooting they may have the urge then to go learn tae kwon doe, boxing, or how to use a firearm so they can feel like they are similar to the games in which they play, but in most cases these same kids wont learn how to fight then just go beating people up or in the case of firearms go on random shooting tangents.

Member Profile kain002 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Mar 15, 2010

I think that video games can make a child more aggressive in some regards, but, I in no way think that we can blame video games for childrens' violent acts and crimes committed. That burden rests on the parents, the school, and the child itself. I also do not believe children do not have the development necessary to be held responsible for their actions. They plan the crime, they are responsible for it, and should suffer the consequences.

Member Profile animalrights89 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
jordan

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Michigan
City: Southgate
Mar 18, 2010

yea, weak minded CHILDREN. not so much people in my generation

Member Profile sch123 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM