City: Toronto
Re: Democracy and Youth
Jun 20, 2009

May 20, 2009 @ 05:04 AM
By Saladin

it's having two faces..
the truth one
and the diplomatic one ( asking for peace.. being away from your country... lie... and sometimes selling some of your principles )

I agree, i'd have to reiterate the fact that democracy is indeed a doubled-faceted institution. It promises to fulfill something in theory, but in practise it contradicts its theory.

Look at how property rights in the United States have played out. While giving people their independence, those same property rights alienate individuals, especially those who cannot afford to maintian their property rights.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile BoutrosBoutros PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Shorooq

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 24
City: Amman
Jul 4, 2009

Democracy for me is an illusion, something that only occurs in Utopia.

My definition of Democracy is that democracy is the ruling of people by giving the chance for every and each human being to have an opinion( and respecting and taking that opinion) in the way he want the country to stand and in the way that he wants the country to be. Simply, it's the ruling of people by people.

And I kind of like the definition that Laurence J.Peter said:
"Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who will get the blame."

Member Profile Shori PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Pap-sy

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Nassarawa
City: Keffi
Nigeria's Demo-cracy
Jul 27, 2009

The Nigerian president, granted Amnesty to Niger Delta militants - Are they criminals, Amnesty is only granted to criminals. Is amnesty in the Nigerian constitution?

The amnesty offer also involves paying each militant #20,000.00 every month. why this pea-nut? why should some members in civil service be earning close to #1m every month, and then only #20,000.00 be paid to militants. what are we fighting against? would this make the militants stop their aggressive lunchings against the government?

there is job crisis here and there, millions of Nigerians are unemployed. why? no capital even for those who are business minded? what sort of country is this? can we every progress? what is the way forward? are we sure there's a solution to the Nigerian demo-cracy problem?

Member Profile amromanor PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sheila Gamuchirai Tsuro

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 25
Oct 19, 2009

smile truth be told demoracy is a noble cause and all but in practise it has never been achieved because human beings are selfish. thre are world leaders who strife for this but because of the powerful selfish people we can only really ever dream of true democracy.

Member Profile sheilachanel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Emeka Diru

Gender & Age: Male, 34
Province/State: Abuja Capital Territory
City: Abuja
Oct 20, 2009

One good fact about democracy is the people,the people decides what should be and what should not be.but let me note that our system defines our governance.

i have read with keen interest some of your contribution,Nigeria may have some parameters of a failed state,but we are not a failed state.There is no beauty in a Unsung song.maybe the chorals of true democracy is still in reharsal,or the choir master has not given the right module for training or maybe the instrumentals are not playing in sychrony.....inspite of our singing with both sides of the mouth.

Democracy in its full potential is a balanced meal for our Youths,many a few leaders in democratic goverment make judicial use of her youths.lets look at the good side of everything as well

Member Profile antiaidscrew PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Shelter 2000

Province/State: Nairobi Area
City: Nairobi Hill
Nov 25, 2009

Democracy is having a choice in voicing your concerns without restrictions, threats or punishment.

Member Profile Shelter2000 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Umair Ali

Nov 28, 2009

I think that the democracy is the right option to show the power of a nation.wink

Member Profile uas PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Denis Nyakach

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Nyanza
City: Kisumu
Dec 15, 2009

To me, democracy is like choice. The ability to select a varied number of options, kinda laissez faire.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
How can we build a world built on a quicksand of inequality?

Member Profile kach PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
npower

Dec 17, 2009

We can look at a definition of democracy as a list of its features - voting, legislative assemblies, etc.

But if we consider it more as an idea and less as a concrete system, democracy seems to me to be when a government is in alignment with what the people want. If the people want one executive figure in power and they have one - as long as human rights and such are still preserved - that could be called democratic. If the people are getting what they want, be it a traditional representative democracy, an oligarchy, or something else, we can call that a democratic government.

Member Profile npow1510 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Aletha

Province/State: Massachusetts
City: Concord
Jan 2, 2010

I agree with what most people have said, especially those who have recognized the disparity between the definition of what democracy should be and the reality of what so called democratic nations have become. I believe that it is up to the youth, the leaders of the next generation to close the gap between what democracy is and what it should be.

To do this, the first step is for the youth to take advantage of the opportunities they are granted and to do their best to become as educated as possible, rather than opt out of the global world and the government. In ancient Greece, and idiot was someone who did not partake in government, and I think that it is time for the youth to be more like the ancient greeks and see voting, political participation, fighting for your views, etc their duty and obligation. Democracy cannot become what is should be if no one participates or takes advantage of the ideals of democracy.

Second, I believe that the youth need to recognize what exactly has gone wrong. In America, for example, one of the problems is that the Congress and politics in general has become so polarized between the Democrats and the Republicans. Compromise and bipartisan bills has become almost a distant figment of past imagination, and for the big issues to be solved, we need to work together rather than pitt ourselves against each other. I don't mean that there should be no debate, just that at the end of the day, there be some key points we can actually agree on, at least in part (and that people be educated by facts rather than exaggerations).

Finally, it is important that the youth understand that it will take time to reach the ideal, but that every little bit counts. No matter where your country starts out, progress is essential and the next generation must be educated in the same way to continue progressing until equality is truly achieved and democracy can be lived out in a truer form.

Member Profile pipsmith PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mary Ruth Ramos

Gender & Age: Female, 24
Province/State: Baguio
City: Baguio
Jan 28, 2010

i've seen democracy in my country when we ousted 2 presidents who are not worthy of the position. Here in the Philippines, Democracy is a big word. it's something we are very grateful to have. we practice it all the time. the role of the youth in our country's democracy is to voice out our opinions about the things that we know are wrong and twisted. We do it in different forms. Most of us take it globally by voicing our opinions on the world wide web through blogs and forums while others rally their ideas directly to the people invovled. The youth can actually encourage others to voice out their opinions too because they are entitled to.

Member Profile Vivknox PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Prince Charles Jiduwah

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Province/State: Lagos
City: Lagos
Jan 28, 2010

The youths must actively engage themselves in democratic process from the early stage, this will ensure that the right hands take charge in the future. A future foreseen is a future forewarned.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Truly Inspired to change

Member Profile kashboy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ArKadian

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: Bay of Plenty
City: Whakatane
Feb 2, 2010

Democracy doesn't live in the youth society. simply because democracy doesn't exsist. Sure the idea of democracy is great, but when you think about is so is communism. Which is why we need to fight harder to stop those with the biggest wallets making the decisions and let ourselves be interdependant on others, but also make our own paths and decisions.
~ Regards ArKadian.

Further discussion; Contect : JonnyBusy@hotmail.com

Java Developer

Member Profile ArKadian PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
sakitha

Gender & Age: Male, 24
City: Colombo
Feb 5, 2010

Democracy is the government
of the people,
by the people,
for the people-Abraham Lincoln

Member Profile sakithakumarage PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Christine Mae

Gender & Age: Female, 23
Mar 22, 2010

[quote]Democracy is the freedom to go about in your daily lifestyle and the right to choose, speak, and act.

Like in our school, we have the freedom to lead or join the Student's Council or called in our school as Supreme Student's Government. And it also our right to choose the most fit to handle the responsibility.

The youth plays an important role in our society and one example of that is voting.
Like what I say in our campaign <The Change Doesn't Start With Us, It Starts With You>

Hope this is ok.....big grin

Member Profile Christinemae PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM