FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2 3 4  »
Author

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Democracy and Youth
Mar 10, 2009

TakingITGlobal is a partner in this Year's Democracy Video Challenge: www.videochallenge.america.gov

Participants were asked to create short videos finishing the sentence "Democracy is..." the deadline for video submissions has passed but the discussion is still going strong! Join this discussion thread and share what Democracy means to you!

When have you seen democracy in action?

What role do young people have in a democratic society?

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile JoAnneT PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Caise Diab

Gender & Age: Male, 44
Province/State: Illinois
City: Chicago
Re: Democracy and Youth
Apr 4, 2009

Democracy is having total control of your livelihood, your wealth, and the ability to make decisions for that in the public sphere.

What exists now is ballot punching, which is why those who finance the candidates make their decisions--in skyscrapers and not in public. They are essentially a mafia/mob/gang of the wealthy and the racist.

So if one wants democracy or freedom, one must understand how when deals with, or shall I say, usurps the mafia.

This post was edited on: 2009-04-04 at 05:07 AM by: caised

This post was edited on: 2009-04-04 at 05:11 AM by: caised

Member Profile caised PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
fumba chama

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Lusaka
City: Lusaka
Apr 14, 2009

i think democracy is a perfect art of enriching the few that make it to the throne. in africa democracy is a deadly weapon that has left many destitutes, orphans, widows and our poor infrastractures reduced to ashes
shocked

Member Profile fumba PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Emeka Diru

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 34
Province/State: Abuja Capital Territory
City: Abuja
Apr 16, 2009

Democracy i think is when system of goverment is in line with the right process of goverment.....
its also when development is sustainable and attainable

Member Profile antiaidscrew PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
takondwa kaliwo

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Province/State: Blantyre
City: Blantyre
Apr 20, 2009

to me democracy is when every one in every situation has the ability to contribe his ideas without being limited in terms of education, financial situaion or geographic position. i think that true democratic values can be best practiced in a situation where equal opportunuties are available to everyone. to truelly present your opinion there must exist an environment where one is mentally and socially eqiped not to be intimidated by the other players. and to achieve this kind of equality in all the people and in every situation true democratic values must be practiced in every institution including the family where cultural norms and values are first introduced to citizens.

Member Profile takondwa PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
SakyaC

Gender & Age: Male, 28
Province/State: Arizona
City: Flagstaff
Apr 21, 2009

Democracy and Youth, Well, If there were true democracy, I believe that most people would coexist just fine, but there are many destructive elements in the collective conscience of humanity. We would certainly self destruct without a powerful hand mediating all affairs and crises (i.e. the U.N., NATO, IMF...etc.)
Fortunately, democracy usually has universal laws of morality and ethics attached, so that people can attain a higher meaning in being human. These laws allow all to find there own way in life, without having someone else controlling development or taking their freedom to do as they see fit.

Its a beautiful concept, but it doesn't take into account the frailty of the human spirit and mind, that some people are fearful of the unknown and the enemy created by their governments. This is where we can lose democracy in the name of security. I assure you that we will lose our democracy because none of us are standing up to our governments, none of us are really doing something to stop the execution of laws that slowly take our rights away however small or insignificant of rights they may be. However, they are rights nonetheless.
Now, the question of youth, the young people of the world must understand that they need to be thoroughly educated in all aspects of society, whether it be in sciences or in medicine, or in the vocational and technichal paths, and maybe politics but I strongly disagree with that way of life. Its better to approach politicians from the outside and be in a position where you make them look smaller and in a way where they are obliged to hear you speak. It is absolutely essential that we don't get trapped in mediocrity, where we are all controlled by advertisers and media conglomerates, especially through what we watch on television because its full of misleading information on how one could live life, and not to mention the utterly ridiculuous world affairs designed to gain your support in matters regarding national security and economic reform. Also, We need to be ready to recognize any attempt to take away our freedoms (I can name many instances where this is happening in the United States) and rights as human beings by the powers of the world, and know how to organize and stop these attempts at power grabbing.

So I conclude my thoughts on Democracy and youth.

Member Profile sakyacalsoyas1 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
dipak shrestha

Gender & Age: Male, 37
City: Ghorahi
Apr 27, 2009

Well, It's very great and concern theme mostly related with youth.

In my country context, Democracy is taken by youth. Youth of Nepal sacrifies there time, duties and ever their live and soul for the establishment of democracy which shows how much it is important.

Whatever i know full practice of democracy means there is equal and universal access in all areas to all youth and citizens on every area and opportunity. Only democracy provides the environment to youth for their betterment and development.

But at present, in Nepal, there is lack of cooperation and confidence between party and their leader, which back the nation and opportunity for youth. So this is the time for forward the political parties and pressure the leader for better cooperation and work for creation the opportunity for youth. We all youth also need to focused on political environment and make aware all for the beeterment of condition and go along with everyone with courtesy and love.

Member Profile shresthadipak PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Subir Das

Gender & Age: Male, 32
City: Chittagong
May 6, 2009

I think that youth can play a very important role ensure a proper democratic environment in the country? and maintains it.

Member Profile subir PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
alexandra tome

Gender & Age: Female, 24
May 18, 2009

I think that youth play a big part in democracy. They have the power and the numbers to speak up about an issue or volunteer their time to solve an issue, but they rarely do. I don't deny that there aren't youth who contribute to democracy, but most youth don't, and also most youth aren't aloud do to parental restrictions. Youth are on a short leash, and some aren't aloud to say their opinion. If all the youth in the world stood up for democracy, we would have a very peaceful world because the youth are the adults of the future, and if all the adults tried to at least come to a compriise with youth, and worked with youth in a democratic way youth could learn how a proper democracy runs, and how to keep it stable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Alexandra T.

Member Profile bglobalchange PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Subir Das

Gender & Age: Male, 32
City: Chittagong
May 19, 2009

The ward Democracy is very pleasant ward. It always prefer the mass participations. Youth participation is one of the important segments of it. But practically youth participation in the democratic process is not counted.secretive

Member Profile subir PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Saladin Abuhamdieh

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

May 20, 2009

it's having two faces..
the truth one
and the diplomatic one ( asking for peace.. being away from your country... lie... and sometimes selling some of your principles )
and the second one is what you show... with every one .. so you can win an ally or neutral...

but you should show the truth one with your enemy...

it's intelligence... to know to how to be diplomatic...

Member Profile abuhamdieh PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Peace any where..

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Geneve
City: Geneva
May 25, 2009

Democracy is the system of all people with different ethics and religion have equal rights , and is the way which can lead us appulant and prosperous life, Democracy paves the way justice, freedom peace, economic growth. and also equality for all people around the world.

as we are youth, we are the eyes of your countries and our children also our elders we can defeat any other system against our livelihood. so let's try to eliminate the undemocratic admins, in our society.

Member Profile abba11 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
nir_fa

Province/State: Tamil Nadu
City: Chennai
May 26, 2009

Hi.

Democracy doesn't work until we put our heads together and our hands at work.

I'm campaigning to prevent climate change and have made the following video to create awareness.

Watch it and please RATE it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs7aZ4KIL3k

Also pass it on to other like-minded individuals who want to change the world for the better.

Member Profile nir-fa PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Pap-sy

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Nassarawa
City: Keffi
Jun 18, 2009

Yeah! i quite agree with most of us, Democracy is "Government of the People, For the People and By the People". the three phrases there Government, For, and By tending towards the people guarantees the masses the overall right over their affairs as human beings.

But if we take a critical look at what is obtainable in most parts of the world today where democracy is claimed to be practiced, it is a total contravenance of the term Democracy. most elites and 'political juganos' only encapsulate the affairs into their arms, not even minding the poor masses whose votes 'do not' even count in so called 'elections.

The youth by virtue of creation, have the utmost right to be primary and fundamental parts of democracy. Youth participation in democracy would ensure and enhance the welfare of the young and younger generations. Problems which would take longer years to solve could be proferred solutions even and early stages.

But democracy also needs a literate society. the statistics for literate and illeterate persons in the world today puts the illetrate more, outnumbering the literates - this makes democracy more difficult to obtain.

SO if we want to curtail this ill, in order to practice true and real democracy, majority of the worlds populace must be educated literates (with the ability to read, write and communicate fluently with other persons of different backgrounds). Secondly, youth participation must be 100% encouraged in every level of governance so as to have viable and tenable solutions to ills bedeviling youth development.secretive

Member Profile amromanor PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Raisa Bhuiyan

Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Female, 27
Jun 20, 2009

Post by SakyaC on Democracy,

"Its a beautiful concept, but it doesn't take into account the frailty of the human spirit and mind, that some people are fearful of the unknown and the enemy created by their governments."

Well put.smile

Member Profile BoutrosBoutros PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM