Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 21
Province/State: Saskatchewan
City: Saskatoon
Re: Animal Cruelty
Oct 22, 2009

sad Sadly not very many people are doing anything to help this topic, these poor beautiful creatures cannot talk, but we can, why can't we all do more instead of sitting here complaining!

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Kimberly890 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Emily

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Female, 23
Oct 22, 2009

People can't take action against factory farming, when they don't even know how awful it is. I think more steps should be take to raise awareness to the public before further action can be taken.

Member Profile BellaGrace PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
jodevizes

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Oct 25, 2009

As a vegetarian, I think that factory farming is an abomination. You can get more protein per hectare with vegetation than you can with beasts so it would seem to make sense to grow more.

That said, without farming, many species would have died out, especially now when the real food movement is pushing for farming with the old types of animals.

My concern is with the fish population, which is being hunted to extinction. I am saddened that vast swathes of Krill are being hoovered up to make animal feed. It takes something like 3 kilos of Krill and other fish to make one kilo of a farmed fish. This is an abomination.

I don't think that everybody should become vegetarians but I do think that the animals should have a good quality of life before they end up on the plate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Jo Devizes knows a womens website that is rather good.

Member Profile jodevizes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kadele

Gender & Age: Female, 29
Province/State: Manitoba
City: Winnipeg
Oct 26, 2009

Many people argue that eating meat is natural for humans to do. True, humans are omnivores and are biologically made to eat both meat and plants. But looking at biological evidence we are much more closer to herbivores than carnivores. The length of our intenstines, for example, and the small size of our jaws in comparison with the rest of our head are more closely related to that of herbivores.

In regards to factory farming, there is nothing "natural" about it. Chickens for example, are breeded to produce larger breasts, because the demand of consumers for white meat has increased. This comes at a great cost to the animals themselves, many can barely walk, and some die from cardiovascular problems do to a overburdened body construct. Many are killed as juvenilles, barely any make it to adulthood. Factory farming also increases the spread of diseases because of the heavy concentrations of animals. And because of the overly-large breasts, upon slaughter the breasts release large anounts of lactic acid into the meat, which makes the meat crumbly when cooked. To counteract this the meat must be pumped with chemicals so that it meat the quality that consumers expect. This is only one of the many effects of factory farming.

It is because of factory farming that I am a vegeterian.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
When the going gets tough, the tough get going -Billy Oceans

Member Profile kadele PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jessie Hur

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Seoul Teukbyeolsi
City: Seoul
Nov 8, 2009

I've been a vegetarian for 10 years now. If someone asks what was my best choice ever that i've chosen in my life, I absolutely say 'being a vegetarian'.

There are some reasons why I'm always suggesting people to be vegetarian.

First, it's healthy. Nowadays, the way that meat industry produces meat is absolutely unhealthy. In order to produce a large amount of meat efficiently, people put numerous animals in a small cage for their entire life. Consequently, that little space becomes filled with all kinds of dirty wastes. To avoid animal's sickness from it, people inject various antibiotics(and lots of growth hormones), and we eat those meat without any hesitation.

Second, if we consider well about the importance of life, we would not avoid suffering animals by human. Animals are same as us. They have feelings and heart. When they are sad, they cry like us. When they are happpy, they smile like we do. They also have families and friends to love with. If you have any pets now, you would well understand how animals have deep feelings like we do.

Being a vegetarian is love and care. I think that it is very important solution to make better and peaceful world. smile

Member Profile jessie311 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Jan 22, 2010

I agree that factory farms are perhaps one the cruelest institutions involving animals on the planet. My main objection is not the fact that the animals are killed, while that is troublesome, it is the conditions that they must endure prior to death. The animals suffer disgusting amounts of cruelty. Workers take their frustrations out on the animals and the animals have no voice. That is why I fully support the farmers who just raise their cattle and let them live a normal life. People are not going to stop eating meat, but if we can change it so that all animals must be treated humanely and live out normal lives, then that would be a giant leap in the right direction.

Member Profile animalrights89 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Feb 2, 2010

Animal cruelty in factory farms is not just a belief held by vegetarians; it is a well known and documented fact. Two years ago footage was released showing slaughterhouse workers abusing the animals. The conditions in slaughterhouses are disgusting, which is part of the reason for all the ecoli outbreaks and other issues we have had recently with food recalls. So yes, factory farms are houses of abuse and yes that is why I, as a vegetarian, do not eat meat. The added benefit that it encourages a healthy lifestyle is just a bonus.

Uvin

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

City: Colombo
Feb 16, 2010

Like everyone else animals are too living beings which are sensitive and have the same characteristics as we do...

So I think as we have the right to live so do the animals.
Any animal should have the right to live even the tiniest ant as they make the environment beautiful and pleasant while helping us to do our work.

Some animals like tigers or snakes attack us for their self protection..If we harm them they'll attack back.

I think deforestation is greatly disturbing these animals as it destroys their homes..

Uvin Madurapperuma

Member Profile uvin PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
sarah

Gender & Age: Female, 24
Feb 18, 2010

Yes, I agree that factory farming is cruel and unnecessary, regardless of the fact that I am not a vegetarian,and I do believe that a diet that restricts meat is a healthier choice. However, I do not think it is necessary that everyone become vegetarians. Human beings are omnivores therefore the consumption of meat is only natural, but I also believe it is true that most north americains consume more meat than is necessary OR healthy. It is this overconsumption of meat and an astounding lack of interest in where food is produced that have allowed not only the existance but the success of factory farming. In my opinion global vegetarianism is not a realistic goal, but publicizing the disgusting conditions of factory farms, and teaching younger generations to care about where their food comes from will have a much greater effect in the fight to eliminate factory farming.

This post was edited on: 2010-02-18 at 10:20 PM by: SarahCraig

Member Profile SarahCraig PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Feb 19, 2010

So last night I was watching the travel channel, unaware I was about to be completely disgusted by what I saw. I was watching this show where the guy travels the world and tastes different cuisine and he ate a lamprey. Those are weird looking fish but that is not the point. The point is, he said as he was narrating that the kitchen warned him before they cooked the lamprey it would be in for a world of hurt. They were not kidding. First, they take the poor creature and literally throw it in hot water but just to shock not kill it. Then they take a knife and scrape off the tough exoskeleton while it is still ALIVE. I couldn't watch anymore after that. THAT IS BARBARIC. NO that is not even barbaric I don't even know what that is. I get that it is a fish and all but that is just wrong. Every creature deserves respect. I mean my God if you're going to kill it then kill it but don't torture it first. That is just wrong. It sickens me that we humans’ feel we can do this because we are the top of that stupid food chain and that gives us the right to abuse our power and harm those below us. We would never ever treat humans this way so why is it ok to treat animals in this manner. I am absolutely sickened and I hope all of you out there are too. I don't know how to change the world and people's views but I know I am going to try. Seriously though, the lamprey torture, absolutely horrible.

nyrmak8

Province/State: Saskatchewan
City: Saskatoon
Feb 27, 2010

I watched this show called Food INC. It was a really revolting actually to know that we are eating this stuff and also what they animals would go through. I really don't like seeing animals hurt at all. Volunteering at the SPCA always helps the animals.

Member Profile nyrmak8 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Mar 1, 2010

While it is important to work to eliminate the cruelty that takes place in factory farms, we should not forget the other forms of animal abuses. I am talking about the circus for one. I absolutly hate that industry. Animals were not meant to walk on their hind legs and peform tricks, not to mention all the abuse that goes on behind the scenes. I am not sure where I stand on marine animals used for entertainment, like Seaworld, but I do feel they have it better than circus animals. I am against horse racing because while the horse may be cared for during its prime, afterward many are forgotten, sold, abused, neglected, or slaughtered. All of these practices either need to end forever or stop and completly change their ways before continuing.

This post was edited on: 2010-03-01 at 08:14 AM by: Katherine

StockM

Gender & Age: Male, 27
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Mar 1, 2010

I do feel that animals are treated unfairly. However, we need animals as a source of food. We cannot live without them.
There are humane ways to kill an animal and I agree with these methods. I do not feel it is fair to slaughter them.
One major issue I am against is killing animals that are not bred in large quanitities. The animals we kill for food are more often than not bred in large numbers to offset their killing. However, animals such as sharks and black bears should not be slaughtered for food. That is cruel and ridiculous.
If humans were being slaughtered and treated unfairly there would be laws against it. Which there are. However, there are no laws protecting animals against cruel and unusual punishment. Why not?

Animals were here first and as humans we must respect them.

Member Profile StockM PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Mar 2, 2010

Slaughter or not the issue is that animals are abused in those slaughter houses. Yes, of course a big issue is how they are killed, but even more pressing is how are they treated during their "stay" at the slaughterhouse. Are they free to move around, socialize, feel the sun, have access to fresh water and food, be free from abuse by the workers. These are all important issues. Also I get what you are saying about being bred in large numbers but it doesn't matter what animal or how many of it there are...if an animal feels pain something is wrong and needs to be changed immediately.

StockM

Gender & Age: Male, 27
Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Mar 2, 2010

It is unfortunate that animals feel pain. I agree with you on that. It sucks! A lot!
But every living species feels pain at some point in their life whether it is emotional or physical. However, I ask at what point is the pain considered to be too much?

Member Profile StockM PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM