TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesEducationIs it true that when you educate a girl child you educate a nation?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Texas
City: Dallas
Is it true that when you educate a girl child you educate a nation?
Dec 11, 2008

Is it true that when you educate a girl child you educate a nation? People have different views on this topic. Some traditions believe that it is better for a girl child to stay at home and get married. The priority education that they get is traditional teachings when they reach the age of 10 years. Some of this early training is beneficial to their childhood and to their adult life as they learn cultural and societal values to make them responsible wives, mothers and community members. With the advent of western education time frame a clash occurred that has in some communities taken a long time to resolve. Where girls are still trained early, they are ‘ready’ for marriage at a tender age. This is one of the influencing factors to early marriages, which in turn adds to the discomfiting 35% illiterates among women in Africa. Some people just believe that educating a girl child is a waste of resources and time, because sometimes, before they complete their education, they fall pregnant and drop-out.
However, a number of educated women have challenged the traditions that are against the education of a girl child.
But still the question Remains the same because they are still people out there that deprive there girl children the right to an education.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile benoselias PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
siddiqua

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Province/State: Karnataka
City: Harihar
Re: Is it true that when you educate a girl child you educate a nation?
Dec 15, 2008

I think all of us have to stress the importance of educating girls. And there is no truer saying than the above - i.e." when you educate a girl child, you educate a nation". Even though women may work outside the home, I feel children look up more to their mothers and whether anyone likes it or not, wmen have the primary influence on their children. And uneducated women will bring up uneducated children. And children will grow up to become a part of society. Learning those skills such as you mentioned, which are important to women becoming good himemakers are important too, but it should not stop girls from receivng their full education. I see many communtiies who think it is better off that girls are married when they reach puberty. But they are so young, and suddenly imposing marriage on them, which is a big responsibility, makes them ill-equipped to deal with so many thigns in life. And the younger the girls who get married, the lesser education they have and the more difficult it is for them to have ideas about, say for example, hygiene, or vaccination, or just about anything. Their knowledge will be limited and its unfair to them.

Member Profile sidsayed PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
siddiqua

Dec 15, 2008

You should treat girls younger than sixteen or seventeen as children. That's what I feel. I've seen many communitties who thuiink the younger the girls get married, the better it is for everyone. We should stop treating them as a liability and give them a good education. And after that whether they choose a career or not is upto them. Education brings about enlightenment, and drives away superstition and wrong beliefs and generally improves a family's life. Educated mothers spead education in families. A stable family contributes to peace in society and women have a central role in peace and stability, and educating them makes a vast difference. I am not talking about education that would lead to study in universities because often, not many people ahve the opportunity to afford higher education. But there has to be good schooling to equip girls to be able to take charge of their lives if and when the need arises and not be dependant on others only because they haven't studied mucn and are unable to understand many things because of less schooling.

Andrew

Gender & Age: Male, 54
City: Epsom
Dec 15, 2008

Of course we must educate women. I am a father of 3, 1 boy and 2 girls. To treat them differently would reflect poorly on me. Think of how many female geniuses we have lost down the ages because of narrow minded bigotry. Also is important to understand that the Comptrollers of this modern world use divide and rule tactics to maintain their elite status. It behooves us all to fight the massive injustices being perpetrated around the world. People like David Beckham have so much resource that other people are starving to death
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Andy ehwhiteboy

Member Profile ehwhiteboy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Benos 3rd

Gender & Age: Male, 2014
Jan 7, 2009

sidsayed wrote:

I think all of us have to stress the importance of educating girls. And there is no truer saying than the above - i.e." when you educate a girl child, you educate a nation". Even though women may work outside the home, I feel children look up more to their mothers and whether anyone likes it or not, wmen have the primary influence on their children. And uneducated women will bring up uneducated children. And children will grow up to become a part of society. Learning those skills such as you mentioned, which are important to women becoming good himemakers are important too, but it should not stop girls from receivng their full education. I see many communtiies who think it is better off that girls are married when they reach puberty. But they are so young, and suddenly imposing marriage on them, which is a big responsibility, makes them ill-equipped to deal with so many thigns in life. And the younger the girls who get married, the lesser education they have and the more difficult it is for them to have ideas about, say for example, hygiene, or vaccination, or just about anything. Their knowledge will be limited and its unfair to them.

Interesting, i think the whole world like you said need to think together and advocate strongly because there is a lot of wasted potential out there.
I have seen alot of Unpleasant documentaries from India or maybe some times not produced by Indians but about the Adult Illiteracy in India and how early marriages have been over the years if not still the major influencing factor especially among indian women. How is the Indian government or civil society organisations (if any)ensuring that each and every girl child goes to school as a priority? and how has been the response from the communities or the girls themselves and their parents/gardians? Its just out of curiousity taking advantage that you're from India.

Benos 3rd

Gender & Age: Male, 2014
Jan 7, 2009

ehwhiteboy wrote:

Of course we must educate women. I am a father of 3, 1 boy and 2 girls. To treat them differently would reflect poorly on me. Think of how many female geniuses we have lost down the ages because of narrow minded bigotry. Also is important to understand that the Comptrollers of this modern world use divide and rule tactics to maintain their elite status. It behooves us all to fight the massive injustices being perpetrated around the world. People like David Beckham have so much resource that other people are starving to death
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Andy ehwhiteboy

Thats very true, i interviewed an Education consultant in Lusaka (Zambia) some time last year who said "The educated are the worst exploitors of edication" and if you think critically you find that educated people especially in politics will deliberatly put policies that will be full of jagony so that the less educated won't understand and not accommodate a component of educating the rural poor so that they can not wake up to put their leaders to task because they can't read the word and the wider world. The same applies to the 'Rich' people, its unufortunate that most rich people instead of helping the poor to become like them they help the fellow rich and leave the poor alone. You'll see that some people will marry and buy very expensive rings when just two steps outside their house kids sleep in the water drainadges.

Alex Rhoden

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Male, 58
Province/State: New York
City: Bayside
Jan 7, 2009

No, It is not true. When you educate a girl child you educate that particular girl and break the cycle of poverty and ignorance. The girl becomes a woman and will more than likely pass on the importance of education to her offspring. This however does not take into consideration the "Male Dominated Society Syndrome" which tends to hold back or prevent woman from achieving their true potential...Too educate a nation is quite another issue. I am still trying to educate my nation, (The United States )but with very little success.big grin

Member Profile illuminati PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
siddiqua

Jan 7, 2009

I'm not an expert in these matters, but there are several incentives to encourage parents to educate the girl child. But a lot of times, financial problems are the main reason behind school drop out cases. There is also the hunger factor. Without food, children can't study. There have been many steps taken to improve this situation. Schools are sometimes situated a a far distance which makes gong to school unsafe for young girls. Also,culture and society play a big role. Many times, girls are considered as burdens who cannot earn & support a family unlike male children. So educating them is seen as a waste. Marriage plays such a pivotal role in all communities here. So its always preferable to marry younger girls if the parents find a groom. Things are changing, but it will take a long time.

asima naz

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Punjab
City: Lahore
Jan 14, 2009

well i think the question is not that educating a girl is important or not...the question should be educating humans is importnt or not...u c there are bilions of ppl who are not educated jst becuz they lack resources...we should think about human beings their educatn,empowerment and development and not limit our efforts or focus to specific gender cuz educating a nation needs educating humans not only educatng girls

Member Profile asimanaz PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Abby E.

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 28
Province/State: New York
City: Mohegan Lake
Feb 2, 2009

I have never looked at it that way before but it completely makes sense. When you think about it, women are still considered the more nurturing, primary caretakers, even though in the U.S., fathers are becoming more involved. But universally, mothers in a way have more involvement in how their children grow up. Almost everyone is influences by their mother one way or another, whether or not we reject it.
I'm not trying to praise my gender as the greatest in the world but I theorize that women are better at relating to other people and are more in tune with their emotions.

Member Profile abflabby PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM