TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsBulletin BoardHelp WantedI'm disturbed! And, you might want to know why?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female & 37
Province/State: Lagos
I'm disturbed! And, you might want to know why?
Nov 20, 2008

I'm disturbed! And, you might want to know why?
It's simply because of the present state of education in my country. Although, the value of education is still intact, and the teachers are doing their best, but it’s quite unfortunate that young people are becoming less interested in learning! In some States, these students receive the benefit of free education, free textbooks etc. yet, they aren’t making good use of this opportunity! Instead they get carried away by peer pressures, crimes, wrong use of technology etc.

A recent result released by the West African Examination Council attest to this deteriorating state, wherein 83% of students who sat for the exam failed woefully. It’s really saddening. And, I still don't know why students aren't interested in studying anymore! They go to school, yes! Spend hours everyday in school yes! And yet at the end of the semester, they don’t get good grades! It’s pretty saddening. Yesterday, I was opportune to discuss with a School counselor about this issue and from her statements, she said, it is a big challenge that most schools are faced with now! And that she just couldn’t understand why a lot of them act disinterestedly in learning/reading.

Some of my questions to her were:
1. What are the factors responsible for this?
2. Is there a way out of this?
3. How do we help the students back to a reading culture?
I love her responses to these questions, but time wouldn’t permit me to write them all out. But from your opinion, what do you see to this great challenge? Or aren’t you faced with these challenges?

I’d appreciate your responses.

Thanks for sharing. . . . .

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Olowotee PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
davyk

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Harare
City: Harare
Re: I'm disturbed! And, you might want to know why?
Nov 20, 2008

eeish thats a bad situation there.

we are having the same challage here but its a bit different.the students want to be in school.

BUT:
the teachers are striking and there is low moral for those that remained.

no teachers as some have gone outside the ountry for greener pastures

the education system is just crumbling at a faster rate i tell you.

i hope to benifit from some answer here

Member Profile dkaiyo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tosin O.

Gender & Age: Female, 37
Nov 20, 2008

what a world of different facet of challenges. . .

In here, we've got loads of teachers who are interested in keeping their jobs. And in here, there are still lots of unpriviledged ones who wants to be in school but are without the means. But the main issue is that those that are privileged to be in school aren't making use of this priviledge! most especially those in Public school owned by the Governments. They act so unseriously with thier studies. I'm sorry to say this, but it's the fact. (based on my visitations). One of the teachers I spoke with pointed out that "people don't generally value what they don't pay for" and this is exactly what we're experiencing in schools. Since education is a free commodity now in some states, most students seem not to value it any more. But is this just the only reason? I think there is more to it than this?

Stephen Ojeremen

Province/State: Abuja Capital Territory
City: Abuja
Nov 20, 2008

Our leaders need to be positive for the youths to follow suit. A country where there is no rule of law, what do you expects? We read in the newspapers and watched them on the television every day, how government’s executives are stealing billions of public monies, and their children living flamboyantly in the society like movie stars! So, what do you expect other less privileged children to do? Of course, since their fathers or mothers are not criminal executives, they took to the street. For us to move forward, our leaders most change their attitudes of self centeredness.

Our society needs to be sanitised urgently before it gets too late. What could a single person be doing with $10Billion? While majority are suffering without hope of a square meal a day. God have mercy on us.

(Ojeremen is very much angry and just thinking on how the problems could be solved)............

Member Profile ojeremen PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Adelusi Oluwafemi Temidayo-Don

Poster Rank: Talkative

Nov 21, 2008

It is generally acceptable that our leaders are very bad and our economy is indeed a woe to our existence. But that has not justified the failure of our secondary school student anyway.

However, bad economy and bad learedrship are just secondary factors while seriousness is the primary factor we must concentrate on now.

See, seriousness is a fundamental attitude to success.

I always feel very sad when i sense that our students are not serious with their books at all. Instead, they believe something will show up on the day of exam. But the simple truth is this, " NOTHING WILL SHOW UP".

Another blight is "BIGBOLISM" which earns them failure at the end of the day. The guys(big boys) concentrate more on levels than academic activities and also the big girls as fondly called. To make the matter worse, they prefer going to party to reading.

It is time we began to do our parts in sensitising the students to the importance of good academic performance which determines their success in life.

HOW CAN WE SENSITIZE THEM?

* i believe telling them about the statistics (as in 90% failed) will help to an extent
* orientate them when we come in contact with them by wqriting via dailies etc.
* Encourage them to read as they are the leaders of tomorow and they are one the entire world is waiting for to make a MANDATE CHANGE

Member Profile poettemidayo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Habeeb Ibrahim

Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 34
Province/State: Andhra Pradesh
City: Hyderabad
Nov 21, 2008

Hi friends,

I understand, the issue is really serious. Don't get panic. Things can be changed with the effective involvement of the general public and the non-profit private groups, I believe. We can't rely on Governments or Leaders all the time.

I just want to share the experience of similar kind. India is quite popular for rapid urbanization. The children in the urban slum are not fond of education. A Hyderabad (South India) NGO called 'Bhumi' has started a program called "Dronacharya & Eklavaya Tutoring & Mentoring Program". The program not only focuses the educational aspects but also the behavioral aspects of the children.

By this, the NGO has selected some urban slums and the schools near by. The activists fist urged the children to go to school. The number of school goers steadily stood up by the continuous field visit and events by them.

This post was edited on: 2008-11-21 at 11:38 PM by: habeebibrahim

Member Profile habeebibrahim PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Habeeb Ibrahim

Virtual Volunteer

Nov 21, 2008

Next, they started approaching the youth who are holding various positions in different fields such as IT to health sector. Then, they requested these youth to act as mentors.

One child was allotted to a Mentor. The mentor, who was a volunteer spent a minimum of 4 hours a week with the child near the school/slum under the supervision of a leader of the NGO. The mentors are also encouraged to mingle closely with the child's family. Training on mentoring the children was provided by the volunteer educational groups on a regular basis to the mentors.

After the introduction this one-to-one contact program, the schools have shown significant rise (from 36% to 70%) in the pass percentage...

Habeeb Ibrahim

Virtual Volunteer

Nov 21, 2008

This program is still active in my parts of Hyderabad. I am happy that I am currently volunteering as a mentor for that NGO.

I believe, the success of this program mainly relies on 04 things:

1> The child should accept the mentor as his role model. This can be done if the mentor is really effective and efficient

2> Practical application of the training by the mentor

3> Mentor should be able to spend his/her time with time apart from his regular work.

4> Selection of correct mentors is the key thing as a wrong candidate can spoil the child's future.

Habeeb Ibrahim

Virtual Volunteer

Nov 21, 2008

Apart from discussing the child's goals, career plans etc., mentors do teach some lessons and share the child's class activities.

I urge you friends to check this website to get more details about the program. You can try to adopt it in your locality with the help of a non-profit group. Hope you will get plenty of good youth people to support you.

As rightly said, leaders are not good always. It is our community and our people. We need to do some thing that will bring prosperity to them.

If you need any further clarifications in implementing this program, please do not hesitate to contact me. I can arrange to link you with the NGO, Bhumi for opinions and guidance.

Have a great weekend!

Habeeb

Tosin O.

Nov 25, 2008

@all
I appreciate your individual responses to this post. So insightful and thought-provoking.

@Habeeb Ibrahim
Thanks for sharing the link. It made a whole lots of sense to me. Moreso, it has given me a brilliant idea on how to effectively reach out to these lovely ones. Those guys are really doing a good job on Mentorship, a very good job indeed!!!!

Once again, I appreciate every responses. . . . . ! .And my heart is receptive to learn more on how to help our young people achieve the best in life. . . . So let's keep the ideas flowing. . . . .

Thank You.

Habeeb Ibrahim

Virtual Volunteer

Nov 26, 2008

Hi,

Thanks. I have just completed my mentoring training. I have been allotted to a school in a slum area of Hyderabad. I will be starting my field work by 29 Nov 2008.

Hope I can share you much once it is on.

Best wishes for your activities there...

davyk

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Province/State: Harare
City: Harare
Nov 27, 2008

i saw a disturbing story on the educatiobn in the UK. the question is where are we headed?

follow the link below and see for yourself

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1089786/Her-undercover-film-exposed-anarchic-classrooms-No w-education-chiefs-trying-ban-teaching-again.html

Member Profile dkaiyo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tosin O.

Dec 6, 2008

thanks once again, for the idea shared. I appreciate. I just returned from an intensive Women Mentoring Women Training Workshop, Nigeria http://vitalvoicesonline.org/blog/http://vitalvoicesonline.org/blog/2008/12/01/lagos-nigeria-women-m entoring-women-wmw-program-launch/ and it was enlightening, inspiring and life-transforing. After, the six day workshop which ended yersterday, I am glad to have been paired to be a Mentee to a highly professional woman in my State. I believe that this 6-month mentoring event would enable me to be fully trained as a {Potential} Mentor. I look forward to utilising my skills in helping these young people.

Really, there is a lot that we can do to help this young ones, most especially in Africa, education seems to be loosing its value. . . . I believe we can do it. . . .Yes, We Can. . .

This post was edited on: 2008-12-06 at 02:32 PM by: Olowotee

Tosin O.

Jul 13, 2009

It's a long time, really! How is everyone doing? I wish you all the best in life too.

I've finally found a solution and i'm so grateful to all of you who have contributed to this course! I appreciate you immensely!!!

I'm no longer disturbed (smiles), maybe because a solution has been proffered and we are working pretty hard to help improve the academic performances of these young people.

We are rest assured that with God on our side, everything's going to be all right! Thank you to Habeeb Ibrahim, I appreciate your assistances! Thank you

Here I am at on

blogspot:
www.resourcesharingnetwork.blogspot.com

TIG:
http://orgs.tigweb.org/39367

www.rsnnigeria.org

thank you all.

maybe, I should officially declare this thread closed! lol.

Thank you all. . . .loads of love to TIG.

This post was edited on: 2009-07-13 at 12:50 PM by: Olowotee

Shirley

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 38
Province/State: Suffolk
City: Ipswich
Aug 23, 2009

Ironic innit?stunned

Member Profile shirl1372 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM