TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesMillennium Development GoalsWho is a Youth in Africa

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Author

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Nord-Ouest
City: Bamenda
Who is a Youth in Africa
Sep 23, 2008

The issue of youths and Millenium Development Goals is one subject that borders me when it comes to African perspective. the first thing to note is the fact that youths don't even know they are youths since the age defination as been tuarted by ruling parties to match political interests. A country like Cameroon has the defination between 14 and 25 only on papers. when it comes to actions that involved youths, the 30s are better considered.
When we fail to give the youths their rights of representation, how do we expect to involve them in realising important commitments such as the MDG? I think its time we create a new perspective. what do you think?

Numfor Alenwi.

This post was edited on: 2008-09-23 at 12:07 PM by: numforx

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile numforx PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
davyk

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Harare
City: Harare
Re: Who is a Youth in Africa
Sep 24, 2008

i agree with you.....man

What does the African Youth Charter say in the definition of youth?
it defines a youth as someone between 15 and 35 years.
Here in Zimbabwe according to the youth policy a youth is someone aged between 10 and 30 years.

So i think it differs depending on the cultural and historical background.

When it comes to participation i agree only youths in the 30's seem to be active. Just like women did or are doing we need to advocate for the inclusion of the youth in Nation Building and policy formulation and help shape the future they will be as adults.

Member Profile dkaiyo PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ladeeyoutrageous_eastview

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Feb 9, 2009

my freind named johnathone, and he is a young yout in afrinca and he just came her and he need's to know more english but you know what we are helping himm learn more but there is no point of making hm learn beceuce h is going bake and never comeing Back so no ponit but he is till a yoong youth . in africa,
♥[b]

Member Profile LadeyOutrageous PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ladeeyoutrageous_eastview

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Feb 9, 2009

my freind named johnathone, and he is a young yout in afrinca and he just came her and he need's to know more english but you know what we are helping himm learn more but there is no point of making hm learn beceuce h is going bake and never comeing Back so no ponit but he is till a yoong youth . in africa,
♥[b]

Member Profile LadeyOutrageous PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
ishmael jay juana

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Western Area
City: Freetown
Feb 16, 2012

The perspective about African on the issue of youth more of Sierra Leone west part of Africa is that hence they said you are youth,You are job-less helpless, unmarried youth.But my question is that if a youth is marriage thus he/she has the right to take part in youth forum.

Member Profile jayjuana PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
elizabethihesie

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Akwa Ibom
City: Uyo
Dec 13, 2012

a youth in africa is any one who is able to survive the hardships in africa and atlast can voice out his opinions on certain things and make decisions in issues relating to the economy for all

Member Profile isabeldurish PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Umenjoh Peter

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Nord-Ouest
City: Bamenda
Dec 24, 2012

Hello, Nice discussion so far. According to my own views,There is no clear-cut definition as to who a youth is. Even in an African perspective, the term "African Youth" is often describe with references to the "social background."
If you are up to a certain level that you can easily carter for your needs and can carry out certain activities like hunting, farming,fishing,trading etc you are considered as a youth especially in a rural setting,
Considering age, it varies with most Countries in Africa. In my own Country Cameroon, defining who a youth is has become a political strategy of wining votes for the ruling party. If we look at the age range set aside by the UN, a youth is someone from the ages of 15-24(25)years. But our own case here is totally different. To the Cameroon government, as long as you can serve the nation even at 50, you are considered a youth.

Member Profile Umenjoh PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
emmanuel Enow

Poster Rank: Chatterbox
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 37
Nov 10, 2013

In Cameroon to become a parliamentarian you have to be of age at least 35 years. This means the youths are automatically exempted from decision making.

Just on the radio and TV in Cameroon and you will hear a man of 67 years say he is a youth and will try to back it up. who then is a youth in Cameroon?

But i know the administration is conscious about the issue of who is a youth but they apply it only when it comes to the military the age limit is 23 years old it means they the need the youth with more energy to defend the nation.

Member Profile gike PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Vetnam

Province/State: Kursk
City: Vet
Jul 28, 2014

Man i need Americans data (fullz) name, address, ssn and dob, contact for real deal man , my Y! is vetnamspider@yahoo.com

Member Profile vetnamSpider PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM