TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesGlobalizationFood Price Rises Threathen Global Security?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied
Virtual Volunteer

Province/State: Nairobi Area
City: Nairobi
Re: Food Price Rises Threathen Global Security?
Jul 12, 2010

The high cost of food has threatened the livelihood of Kenyans. To counter this, the Kenyan Government passed a bill to regulate food prices. But is this the answer .The Kenya Association of Manufacturers has come out fighting that the escalating costs of production has led to the high costs and hence threatened loss of jobs for employees because they will not be generating profits. I believe this move by the government is short-term and will have devastating effects on consumers in the long run coupled with the law of demand and supply. R there other ways of cutting down food prices, if I may ask.smile

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile violet2009 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Josiah X

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 26
Province/State: Ontario
City: Mississauga
Mar 2, 2011

Who cares?shocked

Food prices are a joke, somewhat dependent on supply and demand but also heavily dependent on the traders who sit behind their screens and buy and sell commodities.

When the food prices go up you the corporations pass on the costs to you (this is the business/econmics we teach in our schools). Or our governments put huge subsidies on certain foods, and you pay for it again. Most of the time we are unaware.

Riddle me this though: Why not just plant more of the food, clearly their is a food shortage and if supply and demand has any real meaning left in this techonologically based economic world then it is clear to see that an increase in supply in the only sustainable way to lower food prices.

If you grow your own food, "food prices" are irrelevant smile

..But that would take too much money away from the big corporations, so forget that.

MDG goal will never be achieved, frustrates me so much how they can put a such a promise to the people, and not actually act reasonably to achieve them.

Hunger = plant more food, don't give them fish but teach them how to fish.. Dependency creates control, and control leads to poverty....

Member Profile DMagic PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Josiah X

Mar 2, 2011

It is funny because things are as easy as you make them.

The main problem we have in today's society is exactly that, we overcomplicate everything...The only information that matters is that we are using only 4.71% of the total 13.31% arable land surface or roughly 38,488,090km2 unused ARABLE land.

You cannot honestly sit there and tell me that 38,488,090km2 of arable land is not enough to dramatically decrease food prices. We "satisfy" our needs with 14,633,840km2; however, the huge increase would plummet food prices to a level that would make them virtually unprofitable business wise. So the question becomes food or money, which one is more important?

Numbers and big terminology sound good on paper but have little weight in reality. If we were taught agriculture from a young age the same way they manage to include music, sex education, gym, drug awareness, and other relatively useless courses in the curriculum-the problem of the "young kids" leaving the rural areas would not be a problem. We are not disinterested in agriculture, most youth don't even know what it is. We are not taught about it in school, and so I learn about it on my spare time. The reason we want to live in the cities is because that are where the jobs are, that is where we are told to go to if we want to have a "career," if we want to have a life. The life that is constantly pushed into our minds on the tv screen (big house, fancy car, night life etc.) When have you ever seen an advertisement or youth focused media that informs the youth about the benefits of growing your own food and living in the country. Plus why grow your own food when Wal-mart makes it oh so good to have someone do it for you.

To your point about where are we supposed to grow food in the urban areas of the world. Some already do, last time I checked it was common to have a garden, and it is relatively easy to maintain a small one around the house, just as we maintain our lawns. Urban agriculture provides the framework and platform for such activities.

As far as 40% of 100% model of Ecology Action. 40% compared to nothing is a heck of a lot. Any person that is hungry would gladly take the 40% for the rest of their lives-with a little elbow grease(the actual agriculture)- then 1%-with that same amount of elbow grease(roaming around through trashes, scacanging, stealing, or even killing for food). Plus these numbers can be skewed depending on the crop planted(local crops drastically reducing the need for things such as fertilizers, and other harmful yield increasing methods). The people are looking for the best of the best, they will not be looking (immediately at least) to resale their products to the world, THEY JUST WANT TO HAVE A LITTLE SOMETHING TO EAT-and 40% fits that title. With all the aid we give we could have planted fields long time ago and taught the locals how to do for themselves. Then progress from there, give them the ability to obtain their needs and the alleviated social pressure while allow them to turn into thinkers and doers. How can one better him/herself if he/she is completely dependent upon another-what happens when the money runs out. I'm sure they would rather have the food than the money, because they will buy food with the money, and can sell the food for money.

Josiah X

Mar 2, 2011

As for growing my own food, I have to learn first. But that is irrelevant unless I can grow enough food to feed all those who are hungry. That question/statement was irrelevant and just as frustrating as the MDGS promises(my mom taught me that promises are comfort to a fool, so excuse my disbelief). That is like me asking you why don't you give your money to the poor[to solve poverty]?, or why don't you plant a tree[to solve climate change], or why don't you learn your human rights[to stop human rights abuses], or why don't you stop being from transnational companies[to stop globalization]. THE QUESTION IS NOT WHAT I CAN, BUT RATHER WHAT CAN WE DO to solve these issues. Imagine if Martin Luther King Jr. marched and fought only for his freedom and equal rights, sure he might have been freed but my ancestors would have not, and I could not be having this conversation with you.

On a side note; you have highlighted the major issue that we face today, and that is the generation gap; where the old and young cannot relate to each other. The old think that we don't care, and we think that the old don't care. We have separated ourselves and as such each generation becomes less and less familiar. Parents being unable to relate, and children who are ignorant of their history. We went from Tupac to Lil Wayne, (sorry for the music reference but those who know will understand/ basically we went from caring about world issues-to saying forget that lets just go have fun). It is sad because the elders have all the knowledge that we cannot and are not receiving in school (morals, agriculture, sustainability, etc.) and soon this information will be gone.

At least we agree on one thing; agriculture needs to be taught in schools(among other things)-plus the young and the old need to come together, share ideas and take action.

Josiah X

Mar 3, 2011

But what incentive does man have to take more than he needs...

If he cannot make use of it-then it shall be left alone; however, if he can make money from it-then it shall be exploited...

Freedom is a double-edged sword, it must both be sheathed and swung...

It is only the future generations that will pay for our mistakes. And so we must decide what is more important the the perservation and promotion of life for our children, or the short lived vanities that we have grown to idolize today.

Organized People vs. Organized Money?

Tinashe Chirape

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 31
City: Masvingo
Apr 27, 2011

i personaly belive that the are solute to the Food Price Rises can be solved when one looks at what is the main source of problem. a number of issues come to mind. fistly is oil price, with the waging political crises in the middleeast for sure prices will rise. this is due to the mere fact that oil covers approximately 25% of product production. lets not limit ourselves to transportation here. Oil is usefull in manifacturing and production. thus, with oil prices rising so does food Prices.

now we look at the food production against the population. its a pity food production is no longer enough against the ever rising population. i admit the green revolution efforts but population still oustand ot and feasible increase of food production is limted. more so, with Africa producing less than it can avaragely and need a lot of food handouts in humanitarian aid have aslo fueled food prices.

makert value is a factor also when it is influeanced by bias economist. however, it is largley influenced by the few among other things i ahve highlighted above.

the crisis if not looked into,will see a probable recession again

Member Profile basasha PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Fred Arnold

Gender & Age: Male, 64
Apr 27, 2011

Key to solving food problem is Adam's Smith's basic supply and demand principles. transportation must also be a key and that is hindered by oil prices. The two are tied. Allow U.S. drilling and access to Canada's immense oil slate feilds and production and that will relieve oil demands. Food shortages are directly affected by the environmental movement to cut off oil access and drilling. Food supply is driven by profit. Farmers will meet demand if they have incentives to do so. Free market needs to be free. History of U.S. farmers is classic case of how it fed the world in the 20's. Over-supply-became the problem in the U.S. to the point the U.S. gov't intervened and forced farmers to DESTROY food and extablished policies pay farmers NOT to plant. they did this in order to keep prices (incentives) up. Global food supplies will respond to the markets if they are kept FREE and competitive.

Member Profile farnold PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Fred Arnold

Gender & Age: Male, 64
Apr 27, 2011

the key to feeding the world is Adam Smith's invisible hand NOT gov't planning. Food prices rest on supply and demand and supply relies transportation costs. Each of this is directly connected to profit. let the FREE MARKET solve the problem. The big hinderence now are energy prices being driven by unwillingness to tap reserves. Transportationsosts not only rise but U.S corn which is used to eat and feed lifestock is being diverted into energy by misguided U.S incentives. Allow drilling and access to Canada's oil slate fields and food prices will invitably fall.

Read History. So much food was generated in the U.S in the 20's the gov't instituted policies of destroying food supplys and paying farmers NOT to plant anymore. This happpend to drive up prices restoring profit. They transported this policy to the Soviet Union in the 20's which saved millions from starvation by taking Food production quotas out of the control of the gov't and into the hands of the entreprenurial farmer.

Member Profile farnold PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
chijinco

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Province/State: Anambra
City: Awka
Apr 28, 2011

why is it that slightest fluctuation in the supply of oil usuaally affects food chain?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Okonkwo Chijioke O.
heal the world and make it a better place

Member Profile chijinco PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tinashe Chirape

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 31
City: Masvingo
May 13, 2011

we do not have to depende on oil as our only source of mean to production. the are more sources of energy that can halt the impending doom. its better other means are invested in in time rather than wait till the oil fields run dry and start looking. by then most people would be dead of hunger, suffering malnutrition and other nutrition related diseases.

we can noot realy live along the free market without assisting it but not controlling it. the world will be an eyesore to see the majority of people impoversihed.

Member Profile basasha PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
gphochiminh-sam

Gender & Age: Male, 16
City: Ho Chi Minh City
Nov 2, 2011

Food price is very rising up a lot.Just because people need a lot of food.I agree to this blog.

Member Profile gphochiminh-sam PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
RobertPattinson

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Slough
City: Slough
Feb 27, 2012

Rocketing food prices have already sparked riots in numerous countries recently. From Mexico to Pakistan, protests have turned violent. Food prices will remain high over the next decade as the OECD and the UN's FAO food agency reports.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
iPhone 4 cases iPad 2 Cases

Member Profile RobertPattinson PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
mandy chang

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Melaka
City: Melaka
Mar 10, 2012

Before we study and worry about all the negative effects, let us ask ourselves some of these simple questions. How many times we have seen people going to buffer lunch or dinner wasting away all the foods because they think they have already paid for it. Even at our own dinner table, do we always finish up all the foods that we prepare or we just throw away the leftovers. While escalating food prices is a serious issue, one of the root causes is the shortages resulting from wastage. This is something which we can play our part to avoid it.

This post was edited on: 2013-03-26 at 03:49 PM by: Fraser McFarlane (Moderator)

Member Profile mandyc PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
pushkar suresh kale

Province/State: Maharashtra
City: Pune
May 21, 2012

I think the problem of food security is due to lack of enough attention given towards making farming a investment destination for the interested investors.ulike the other industries like secondary and tertiary sector the agricultural sector which is named as primary sector it is not given prime importance.agriculture should be allowed to accept private investment.no doubt it will take time to get return but it will be the best investment from the point view of the mankind.the intensions of ivestments will be satisfied.

Member Profile pushkarkale PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
pushkar suresh kale

Province/State: Maharashtra
City: Pune
May 21, 2012

The issue of food security is a worldwide so a worldwide action should be taken.village people should be encouraged to live in villages and do PROFITABLE farming and not the traditional farming.why people cant understand that food and not the services is the basic necessity of life.when we will live properly we will need services like insurance etc.

Member Profile pushkarkale PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM