TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesGlobalizationFood Price Rises Threathen Global Security?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Re: Food Price Rises Threathen Global Security?
Jul 8, 2009

The issue of the escalating food prices is a global issue. And this has caused many countries, most especially the poor nations are suffering today. We need to wake from our slumber and wake up to reality. There is the need to look into farming. With this more food can be produced and bring down the prices of food.

myke
Lagos

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile mykeaiyej PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
muoka

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Nairobi Area
City: Nairobi
Aug 7, 2009

Food is a basic human need, if someone cannot afford it, they are bound to do anything to get it. There are billions of people in the world who live on less than a dollar a day if these people cannot afford to meet this important basic human need then we have all failed.

Member Profile bmuoka PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Fred Arnold

Gender & Age: Male, 64
Sep 22, 2009

Rising Food Prices is an economic issue. So, can be solved through the free flow of capitalism. Unfortunately,well meaning people and organizations continue to focus their efforst to "give" the boy the fish instead of teach him to fish. Teaching the basic principles of supply and demand-something the Gates foundation well knows- will solve the problem.

Member Profile farnold PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
jodevizes

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Nov 29, 2009

This is a knotty problem. I can only speak from a Western perspective as I have no idea what the prices of food stuffs are in Africa, India, South America and the like.

Due to the industrialisation of our agriculture with battery hens, cattle feeding stations and huge pig fattening units, food prices as a percentage of the weekly wage have fallen dramatically.

This has led to the mass wastage of food which, due to a misguided and ridiculous policy, can no longer be fed to animals but have to be dumped into landfill sites.

Here it maybe a good thing for prices to rise as it gives farmers a living and makes people value food as a precious commodity.

In other areas the local price of food is more tied into the local economy although the greedy commodity brokers of the Chicago and London Exchanges as well as elsewhere, will determine the global prices.

As for Global security, there could well be localised rioting where food shortages occur but I cannot see World Wars.

There could be some conflicts where foreign countries like China have rented or bought huge swathes of land in Africa and other countries to do some intensive agriculture to both feed their own people and, one suspects to deal on the commodity markets.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Jo Devizes knows a womens website that is rather good.

Member Profile jodevizes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Christine

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 30
Province/State: Ontario
City: Barrie
Dec 6, 2009

The rapid change in pricing has had many effects on the world, but at the same time it means people need to budget their lives more thoroughly.

There are still many great options at lower prices and I've learned if you buy in bulk it always works out to be cheaper.

Our economies have become so dependent on money that we lost the real picture of life. If everything continues rising in price soon enough our entire world is going to be living in poverty, even if they have those high paying jobs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Christine Culley
PS3Reviewed
Venn Communications
Texas Accident Injury Information

Member Profile christineculley PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Elaine Cohen

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 58
Dec 9, 2009

I live in Canada in BC
where the Okanogan has always been the place were food has been grown.

Now for the first Time, I can reacall, Kelowna has a Add campaign to feed the local kids. Hungery childern in our food porduction regands.

Hungery childern and HOmeless in Canada!

That and the fact that a bag of flattend corn was about $5 is now closer to $15, my eggs are no longer makeing any money as it takes to much to feed the old hens and sell them for what I need to spend on their feed.

Now I lett my birds run wild all day eating bugs, and my garden,etc,
But if I was in the Egg industry
I would be broke.

Instead, I just have enough to sell to family and freinds but still I cant ask for the price they cost me to feed them.

The world is on a turning point, with corn being used for Fuel'

Good Post
to a Healthy Future
Love
E

Member Profile Edenstory PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Denis Nyakach

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Nyanza
City: Kisumu
Dec 15, 2009

In my country Kenya, we av seen unimaginable rise in the price of basic food stuff. Cost of life has drastically shot up due to the escalating food prices. Unemployment has just been the order of the day. Life has just become to hard and difficult to comprehend. Results? Thuggery and robbery has been the order of the day. Nobody's safe, as somebody else actually want watever little ya av by force from ya. I think, insecurity due to rising food prices is real and needs to be well articulated before it runs out of hand.
How can we build a world built on a quicksand of inequality?

Member Profile kach PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
PennyStocks

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 47
Jan 18, 2010

It is quite strange to see that prices of food items are increasing worldwide.

There has been increase of more than 100% in several essential food items. stunned
Hot Penny Stocks - Hot Penny Stock Picks
Penny Stock Alert - Penny Stock Newsletter

Member Profile Pennystocks PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Rommy Wuhe

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 46
Mar 14, 2010

Today, all everyone is talking about is food price rising to threat global security.
I tell you why, like where i am in Nigeria representing Africa and its concerns, my observation level is pointing at the poor programmed for projection, not encouraging the youth foundations to focus for the upliftment to bettering their generation beyond.
There are three points here, very vital points, they are simply;-
Food price.
Threat.
And Security.
For food, it is said, " A hungry man is an angry lion" lets look deep into those words as express from the inside and please lets reason with the sign to building real pictures as the solution.
Now, lets talk about threat, why is threat?= because when we are busy facing other side of life forgetting that Agriculture is the first before any, why?you can not tell or say ask one who's hungry to study because, the first in his heart is that God help me, i want food to enable me gain strength before any other thing.Education is useless to the one who's hungry, always angry, he's distracted, confused, frustrated, such leads to security threat.
Putting more effort into the agricultural development will help a lot to drop-price and then global security threat can reduced.
Crime is never eradicated because it lives in nature, you can only fight to control the increase.
Love,and then peace to the world.
Rommy Wuhe

Member Profile Atomgbe PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Wangchuk Chungyalpa

Gender & Age: Male, 41
Province/State: Sikkim
City: Gangtok
Mar 15, 2010

Likewise, in India food prices has been increasing rapidly beyond the normal inflation rate. Prices for certain crops like potatoes, sugar have risen more than 30-35%. The rise in food price is blamed on poor harvest as a result of poor monsoon rain. One thing about food shortages is that the affects are very long lasting. A bad harvest in one year has a prolonged effect, particularly for a struggling economy. This is why CLIMATE CHANGE is a critical issue because it is changing the weather patterns. Most of the developing and less developed countries are very much “weather dependent” for their agriculture.

Is this current global food crisis an indication of things to come – only multiplied many folds…. and yet the Copenhagen accord on climate control was unable to meet their goals – to put it very mildly? What does it say of us…probably the most short sighted generation…to put it mildly! stick
out tongue

Member Profile Wangchuk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
vito

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Michigan
City: Trenton
Mar 18, 2010

I think that everyone in the worldc should get food because it it soo improtant if people are hungry they are going to get pissed then riot

Member Profile Dankhead92 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Lisabeth Mikolajczyk

Province/State: Michigan
City: Monroe
Mar 18, 2010

how do you propose that everyone get food? when there are countries that refuse to buy modified foodstuffs because they think it is evil and when countries have nothing to offer others, how do we fix this problem?

Member Profile lisabethann PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Wangchuk Chungyalpa

Gender & Age: Male, 41
Province/State: Sikkim
City: Gangtok
Mar 19, 2010

One of the Millennium Development goals is poverty eradication! How do we achieve that? When we try to find solutions on a global scale, it is near impossible to find any solutions. I think it is at the grass roots that the struggles take place. As I had mentioned earlier, it is disappointing when accords and summits like the [b]Copenhagen summit on Climate Change fail to meet their objectives. Those are indications of how willing countries and nations are to put aside their own interest in the greater interest of the world.

There are many of us who believe that change can be achieved, starting from the grass roots levels. Service counts, support matters, best practices last…simple philosophies with profound results. We have to be at it … always – encouraging, supporting, inspiring, and changing ourselves and those around us.

Member Profile Wangchuk PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
maxwell Adeo Adew

Province/State: Western Cape
City: Cape Town
May 26, 2010

in my opinion everyone should start Subsistence Agriculture if everyone can do this at least 70 percent of the people living on plane earth this will help.
Adeoya w

Member Profile walexngng PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Rommy Wuhe

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Male, 46
May 31, 2010

Could you imagine i asked so many while trying to take a case study on why is everything so difficult, especially on the part of food.
People eat but do not know what it take to build all that they eat, so you can see that we are only there crying with trying to be what we want.
You don't know how to farm, now tell me,do you enjoy consuming without the understanding of the process?.
Now, let me tell you the truth, it will never be well and so we can not pretend it is well either.
We have to apply the practical us to manifesting all our wants, a lot today who were in the rural places working farmland are no longer because, they have tried new things and discovered it pays better than what they were doing, which is farming, today agriculture is only a name as a subject but is lost.
Why can't the world remain hungry or say hunger, rising the issue of security threat.
Let us rethink of what agriculture mean to us, what about the raw material before processing to abstracting whatever bought in the marketplace by the consumers for their use, just name it.
And that is why we in ABC4ALL are Working together to bring Global Humanitarian Relief to the World!
Because you're you
Here on GHR
It's a day early
But even so
You see the
CLICK! New Newsletter
From The Heart:
To and From all
ABC4All Mentors
In 109 countries
To Date.
Join ABC4All Global Mentoring TEAM Project
If you are not an
ABC4All Mentor
And Send in to
The Newsletter
From The Heart
Your thoughts
Your dreams
Your ideas
Your suggestions
Your ways to help
All of Us reach
GHR soonest!
Thank you,
Burt
POISED 4 RELIEF
by Burton Danet, Ph.D.
ABC4All is poised
To bring RELIEF
To the World.
Yes, to a polluted world.
Contaminants Everywhere
Unfortunate but true.

Who needs relief?
Anyone alive.
Know it or not.
What kind of relief?

Let's start with
All 1.8 billion people
In the World
Who do not have
Adequate
Basics
In Living:

WATER
FOOD
SHELTER.

That is who
ABC4All represents.
BUT it is not just
Those most in need.

read more by CLICKing! this link to the New Newsletter

Visit Global Humanitarian Relief at: http://abc4allghr.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

Member Profile Atomgbe PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM