TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesHuman RightsTHESAME SEX MARRIAGE RIGHT OR WRONG?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  »
Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Province/State: Lagos
City: Lagos
Re: THESAME SEX MARRIAGE RIGHT OR WRONG?
May 19, 2009

carmen89sto wrote:

for me morality means

to respect other people

to tolerate them

to the accept their way of live especially when it is diffrent.

If someone wants to marry a "goat" am sure in your defination of MARALITY is fine because you will be "Respecting and Tolerating Them"?

MARRIAGE IS BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Truly Inspired to change

This post was edited on: 2009-05-19 at 09:13 AM by: kashboy

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile kashboy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Joël Kalpram

Poster Rank: Talkative

Province/State: Northern Territory
City: Darwin
May 23, 2009

If only you's guys are gay? you would understand where we are coming from....

Too bad you guys are not putting yurself into our shoes and look from our end...

Member Profile jalbert PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
KrisMarie

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
May 25, 2009

I only have one question for every person who thinks homosexuality is wrong.
WHY is it wrong?
Answer me that
Though it may say somewhere in the bible or some other holy text about man and wife being the only possible couples, think about atheists who don't believe in religion. Explain to them how it makes sense in any way.

This post was edited on: 2009-05-25 at 06:00 PM by: kristenmariek

Member Profile kristenmariek PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Prince Charles Jiduwah

Province/State: Lagos
City: Lagos
May 26, 2009

kristenmariek wrote:

I only have one question for every person who thinks homosexuality is wrong.
WHY is it wrong?
Answer me that
Though it may say somewhere in the bible or some other holy text about man and wife being the only possible couples, think about atheists who don't believe in religion. Explain to them how it makes sense in any way.

This post was edited on: 2009-05-25 at 06:00 PM by: kristenmariek

I bet there is noting wrong with a human being having sex with an animal...say (A Dog or Monkey) to you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Truly Inspired to change

Member Profile kashboy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Daniella Fanitsa Mickelson

Gender & Age: Female, 26
May 28, 2009

Why do you refer to animals and goats and such. People who are gay are not called animals, they are human beings too. I think people are biased and too pre-judgemental. Look in this perspective, if you cared about someone dearly (man or woman) and you wanted to be with them and they were the opposite sex, society would say that was right or the correct way to go. but if someone married a person of the same sex, it would be deemed as wrong, but I feel that marriage is just a word, you do not have to be married to be together with the person you love, but even if you are married, you should be able to choose the person you want to marry, no matter the gendar, culture, and orientation. We are living in the 21st Century, the world has changed drastically since the 1900's and before then. We have to be open to new things, because if we are not, we will never accept one another as independent indiviauls. I feel that no matter what your preference is, you should be able to love and be with that person. Yes I said person, not a cow or a goat, we are talking about people here, like you and me.

I hope this helps open some people's eyes to new outlooks.

Member Profile dmickelson PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mohamed Eid

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Woqooyi Galbeed
City: Hargeisa
May 28, 2009

Same sex marriage is not a marriage, just it is only fictional life. The real meaning of marriage is to create a cell of family expecting to extend into community then into nation. So that things are what is beyond the meaning or marriage. But same sex don't know what kind of advantage is within. Does somebody tell me what its advantage is it?

Member Profile EI PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Shweta

Gender & Age: Female, 37
Province/State: Delhi
City: Delhi
Jun 1, 2009

I think it is useful to acknowledge that each of us can have a definition of "marriage" and "family". Everyone need not have the same defnition. Globally, countries are adopting the broader defintions of family.

For example, in India, the Domestic violnce Act also acknowledges the rights of partners living with each other even if not married. Gay couples can get married as thier is no law prohibiting the marriage per se.

Member Profile Shweta-sj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Justin Wrubel

Gender & Age: Male, 31
City: Kitchener
Jun 1, 2009

I find this to be a riveting topic of discussion and I am really happy that we're all able to express our opinions, and hopefully, learn something as well.

I am a heterosexual male (with sound knowledge of molecular biology, genomics, and World religions) in support of same-sex marriage, and my main reason for this is very basic and elementary: homosexuality is a genetic predisposition governed by one or more genes on the X chromosome.

How can anyone, regardless of religious affiliation or sexual orientation, deny the physical proof that homosexuality is biological. It is simply just brain chemistry, the same way heterosexuality is just a chemical predisposition in the brain; and unlike certain other belief systems in life, we actaully have hard, physical proof of this.

Member Profile justingeni PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Justin Wrubel

Jun 1, 2009

It is common knowledge that there are approximately 3 billion letters in the human genome, roughly 97% of it is considered "junk" DNA, each human being shares 99.98% of the same DNA, and the four letters in the DNA alphabet - A, C, G and T - are used to carry the instructions for making all organisms. The difference in sexual orientation has to do with a difference in the sequences that affect the part of the brain that controls attraction. It is that simple.

I am straight and even though I have gay friends that won't make me become gay. I have no choice in my heterosexuality, and it would be nice if people could let me live my life and my country can allow me the right to marry any woman that I love and who loves me. I coudln't imagine a homosexual person telling me I'm evil or wrong because I like women; so why do some people insist on doing that to them.

I read somewhere on here about "different kinds of love". Well, at the expense of sounding unromantic, love is just a chemical reaction in your brain tied to emotions, experiences, and base attraction, the latter being a component of predisposition (pheremones). So, it is 100% possible for a man to love a man, or a woman to love a woman the same way in which a man and a woman might love each other. It isn't magic, it's biology.

Justin Wrubel

Jun 1, 2009

I read that "God created marriage for the purpose of child bearing and families", and that "if same-geneder marriages are allowed, humans will die off". First off, people can create families without marriage. Again, it isn't magic. Marriage is a committment between two people and a family is a committment of two or more people to the group. Through friendships or adoption, people can create beautiful families that have nothing to do with marriage or blood relation (we're all 99.98% related anyways!).
Second, I don't know if people are aware of just how many people we have on this planet. Throughout the course of history, human population remained roughly constant, somwhere between 200-300 million people. Our population has spiked dramatically over the past few hundred years and it continues to increase. It's not as if homosexuality is something new, it's been around since heterosexuality. So maybe same-sex marriage won't "kill of" humans. Maybe same-sex marriage will allow the creation of more families through adoption (not every child is born into a family). Since we all now know that homosexuality is rooted in a predisposition (along with countless case studies of homosexual couples raising straight kids) maybe we can get over the negative stereotypes and focus on the real issues affecting marriage and family living (50% divorce rate, marital abuse, child abuse, etc).

I also read somewhere about humans getting married to animals... that isn't even on the same planet of discussion. We're talking about homo sapiens, not other animals. Through genetics we've learnt that there is no such thing as different "races", so the idea of "interracial" relationships is false, since there are no other "races". Likewise, L,G,B,T people are people too, so how can same-gender relationships be wrong?

Justin Wrubel

Jun 1, 2009

I've noticed that a lot of people against same-sex marriage site their religious beliefs or morals as why they oppose the idea. I don't even see this as a religious issue, it's a social issue. With all due respect to what people may or may not believe, no one has the right to impose their belief system on anyone else. It's that simple. I know it's hard for some people to accept but not everyone believes what you do. If homosexuality was so bad maybe God wouldn't have made it a possibility in the genetic code of life (not just in homo sapiens, but throughout the animal kingdom).
As far as morals go, the idea that religion is the benchmark for morality given its history, seems oxymoronic at best, and I'm not even going to get into this because so many books have already been written on the subject.

We need to go beyond religions that are only a few thousand years old, or state laws that are only a few hundred years old, to what every single person who ever existed actually has in common, DNA.

We are the first generations to be able to decode the human genome. They couldn't do that when the religious texts of the world were written, so maybe we should accept the challenge as the first generation to provide true human rights for all people based on the amazing progress and growth we've been able to make over our history.

I would appreciate more conversation on the topic and any response to my post is greatly appreciated smile

Jun 1, 2009

Justin I respect what you say completely. I don't understand how people could be so biased or prejudgmental on this topic.

Justin Wrubel

Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Daniella. I think we're on the same page in that we both think that people should try and be open minded and objective when making assumptions or judgements about the lives of others when they cannot have that subjective experience themselves. Read different books, engage in discussion with different people; only draw on conclusions once you've explored every avenue of thought.

Jun 1, 2009

Yes I have the same feelings, like I understand if someone has certain morals, but when people assume right from the gecko that the their way is the right way, that is a very egotistic point of view.

Ibukun

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Oyo
City: Ibadan
Jun 4, 2009

stick out tongue
It depends on your definition of what is right. It is in your own religion that you have such commandment and some others. Some people do not practice these religion and I suppose you believe in equity and justice. then you will be denying those in this category their rights if you say it is ungodly to practice what they believe.

Religion is different from human rights.

In case you want to know, I'm a Christian.

Member Profile dainfinity PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM