FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Female, 29
Province/State: Al Iskandariyah
Re: Censorship in the arts
Nov 2, 2010

This is a very useful topic , in some countries censorship on arts or books just a way to guarantee their rights , others see that it could be dangerous if they just ignore it , indeed no one has the right to prevent something to be published or to be banned except the owner himself , as he can see how he present his work and to whom it's targeted

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile Dalia-Tuta PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
muller jean francois

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 53
Province/State: New Jersey
City: Newark
Nov 29, 2010

Hi my name is mullerjeanfrancois I do art,If you interested in any piece please let me know.I hope you enjoy my Art I am an artist who works in many different types of media; oil, acrylic, abstract paintings on canvas,
at http://www.artistpaintingonline.com

Member Profile artmuller2003 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
prathiba

Province/State: Tamil Nadu
City: Chennai
Dec 4, 2010

censorship is okay if v have a reasonable censorship board .....but censors, i guess are generally made ....based on survey of people's reactions to certain things.......and its always a question of the larger audience,cos most people whether ,right /wrong get hurt through some controversial statements/actions...yes the censorsip board is in most times a barrier to experiencing reality in most plain manner,and constricts creativity to some level .....but it is also important that art that entertains and informs people is used in a responsible manner ..such that the geniune issues,ideas and creations are not ignored/censored ......besides sometimes a banned creation in ny form of art does gain a lot of publicity........big grin

This post was edited on: 2010-12-04 at 02:38 AM by: prathiba

Member Profile prathiba PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Savana Joseph

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: California
City: California City
Dec 7, 2010

I have seen many art shows that needs proper publishing and there should be many things that can be done properly. I can say that there is always a censorship in art. Some arts deliver the best and it should be remain the same.

Member Profile savanajoseph PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Keith Avanaugh

Gender & Age: Male, 39
Province/State: Victoria
City: Melbourne
Jan 15, 2011

Ashley78 wrote:

Should books, art, music, films be censored? Who should decide what warrants censorship?

For example - many schools have banned books that are consider unsuitable or controversial for youth. Are schools being responsible - ensuring students are not exposed to offensive content? Or are they limiting the intellectual freedom of youth?

What do you think about censorship in the arts?

Personally I would say .. YES they should sensor ... looking at the rate of social problems our world is facing.. we do need to sensor a hell lots of things I guess..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
How Does Making A Solid Income of $1,200,000 Within 8 Months Sounds ? Click Here Now to Learn How You Can Achieve This...
>>> http://ebaybusinessreviews.info

Member Profile KeithAvanaugh PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Fabrice Marre

Gender & Age: Male, 38
Province/State: Aquitaine
City: Pau
Mar 6, 2011

Art is very subjective and some people can be offended while others won't. I think censorship makes sense when art is public funded and if the majority of tax payers find an artist offensive, they should have the right to censor this artist. Censorship is about making the majority of people happy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
"Reach for the moon because even if you miss you will land among the stars"

Borneo's rainforest and orangutans need my help...
I'M READY TO TAKE ACTIONS!
A bit more about me...

Member Profile whereisfabrice PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
think poetry

Gender & Age: Female, 49
Province/State: Michigan
City: Detroit
Mar 7, 2011

March 29, 2010 - 11:34 PM

I think I get the gist of what you're trying to say here, but could you please use proper Capitalization and punctuation?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
Stephane

stephanie,
the topic is about censorship.
when im writing in a casual setting, i have adopted casual typing.
when its necessary, i can use appropriate punctuation.
you have illustrated the point; regarding censorship, what do you think?
you think i should do what makes you happy and i think i should do what makes me happy.

Member Profile poetry PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sheila Gamuchirai Tsuro

Gender & Age: Female, 25
Apr 6, 2011

personally l thinkn censorship of the arts is wrong. it stifles creativiy and imagination and aslo doesn't allow for freedom of expresssion. art is meant to be interpreted and different people view it in different ways.

Member Profile sheilachanel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Kiera Braun

Poster Rank:

Apr 7, 2011

I would like to direct the attention of this blog to the case of Ai Weiwei in China. His case is one of the most extreme when it comes to censorship in the arts, but it shows an important possibility for all levels of censorship. The History News Network is featuring an article <http> which describes the fate of Ai Weiwei from the beginnings of his run ins with the Chinese government until his recent disappearance.

"Like so many other people of conscience and voice in the past two years, he is gone, swallowed by the insatiable fear of the state’s authoritarian belly."

My point here is simple: art is an expression of the artist, and to repress art is to repress the artist. As seen in Ai Weiwei's case, repressing the artist is something than some are more than willing to do so that the art is not seen or heard. My question is this: what right do we have to allow things to get to this extreme?

Member Profile KieraBraun PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Lexmark

Apr 14, 2011

Censorship will depend on how the art is presented and of course, strict guidance should be given to children to avoid creating the wrong impression on them. There are forms of arts that need not be censored, but likewise, thee are books and paintings that speak of nothing but obscenity. mad

Member Profile Lexmark37 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Joanthan

Province/State: Arizona
City: Tucson
Dec 2, 2011

The fact there is censorship in art is completely stupid because we were taught the human body is a beautiful thing and not some kind of monster.

Member Profile supermeatboy PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Taylor English

Province/State: Ontario
City: Toronto
Feb 9, 2012

I'm not going to say that I don't think there should be any censorship in the arts, but I do think that it should be very minimal. For example, the books being read in school shouldn't matter. Coming from experience, what kids read on their own time is going to be much wore than what is could be provided for them in the classroom.

Member Profile tayenglish PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Alaina Wetzel

Province/State: Louisiana
City: Lafayette
Jan 20, 2015

Those who love music feel a strong need to defend it. Music has a way of speaking to people in a way that can't be put into the simplest words. Some find music to be pointless phrases strung together with a few instruments playing in the background. For them, they most likely wonder what can be so special. Why be so passionate about the freedom of this art? Banning music is banning the greatest form of expression.
One of the most extraordinary gifts in life is music. Having the ability to truly help people, music’s power and influential abilities are underestimated. Although music can cause immense sadness, it also has the ability to cause profuse happiness in the daily lives of many. Strangely, there are people who exist in this world who don’t particularly enjoy music, and the words “music censorship” most likely mean nothing to them. Maybe for one person, sports are their interest. What would happen if their favorite sport was banned? Never again could they publicly play and compete in their sport or experience the simple joy it brings them in the darkest of times. I believe that would be enough to crush one’s spirit.
Adolescence is a crucial time in a person’s life, when teens need to be heard. Music is a great outlet for this, as well as being an outlet for anger, passion, grief, love, or any emotion one might want to express. Everyone should have the same right because music is not only an art, but music is also a way of life.

Member Profile alainawetzel PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Alaina Wetzel

Jan 20, 2015

Those who love music feel a strong need to defend it. Music has a way of speaking to people in a way that can't be put into the simplest words. Some find music to be pointless phrases strung together with a few instruments playing in the background. For them, they most likely wonder what can be so special. Why be so passionate about the freedom of this art? Banning music is banning the greatest form of expression.
One of the most extraordinary gifts in life is music. Having the ability to truly help people, music’s power and influential abilities are underestimated. Although music can cause immense sadness, it also has the ability to cause profuse happiness in the daily lives of many. Strangely, there are people who exist in this world who don’t particularly enjoy music, and the words “music censorship” most likely mean nothing to them. Maybe for one person, sports are their interest. What would happen if their favorite sport was banned? Never again could they publicly play and compete in their sport or experience the simple joy it brings them in the darkest of times. I believe that would be enough to crush one’s spirit.
Adolescence is a crucial time in a person’s life, when teens need to be heard. Music is a great outlet for this, as well as being an outlet for anger, passion, grief, love, or any emotion one might want to express. Everyone should have the same right because music is not only an art, but music is also a way of life.

Alaina Wetzel

Jan 20, 2015

« BACK TO FORUM