Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »
Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Re: Censorship in the arts
Dec 19, 2009

Well for a start Hollywood will not make the two remaining films from the Dark Materials trilogy. After they made the Golden Compass, the right wing fundaMENTAList christians came out against it. The film did huge box office around the world, did fairly well in the US but the lobby is such that no studio will dare making the remaining two films. That is censorship in the arts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Jo Devizes knows a womens website that is rather good.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile jodevizes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Stephane

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: British Columbia
City: Nanaimo
Dec 23, 2009

THANK you!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Stephane

Member Profile Taihus PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
bill

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Maharashtra
City: Mumbai
Dec 24, 2009

I detest censorship. Check out all celebrities that have made it big in any form of art. it is either controversial or illegal

Member Profile bill786 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
jodevizes

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Dec 25, 2009

Here in the UK it is going downhill fast. Now, not only can the celebrities bring out an injunction to stop publication of a story, they can also issue a super injunction, which means that you cannot mention that an injuction has been issued.
These are worying times.
Jo Devizes knows a womens website that is rather good.

Member Profile jodevizes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Christine

Gender & Age: Female, 31
Province/State: Ontario
City: Barrie
Dec 27, 2009

Censorship in the arts should have its place. It really does depend on the age groups and where they are located. Other then that it is a personal preference.
Christine Culley
PS3Reviewed
Venn Communications
Medifast Coupons

Member Profile christineculley PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Akira Kamishiro

Poster Rank:

Province/State: Tokyo
City: Tokyo
Jan 8, 2010

I believe arts should not be censored even if they contain sex or violence.

First, those who see or create these arts are not always criminals.

In addition, restricting sexual contents even with people's consents are based on gender roles that people, especially women should defend their chastity.

Furthermore, criteria of media regulation tend to be vague. Thus, it may be used on the excuse of persecuting those who are against particular political groups of vested interests.

Member Profile AkiraKamishiro PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
LizeR

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Massachusetts
City: Boston
Jan 20, 2010

Art is all about personal interpretation. What the artist intends for a piece of art, be it a painting, a sculpture, a film, or a play, is not always what the observer takes away from it. And that is okay. Therefore, what might seem vulgar to one person might seem beautiful to the next. The Living Theatre company in New York did a show called "Paradise Now" where the entire company performed naked on stage. The very popular Broadway show "Hair" features nudity as well. Would I bring a five-year old to either of those performances? No. Would I want the city of New York to stop these shows from running because I deemed them inappropriate? Absolutely not. Just because one person does not agree with an artistic portrayal does not mean that something should be censored. It is hard to decide what can be deemed "inappropriate" for all of society, since each and every person has their own morals, own way of thinking, and own interpretation of art. Censorship threatens the very nature of art itself, and should not exist in relation to art.

Member Profile globalizer3 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Stephane

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: British Columbia
City: Nanaimo
Jan 20, 2010

Finally, this discussion is going somewhere!
Stephane

Member Profile Taihus PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Alison

Gender & Age: Female, 25
City: Toronto
Jan 20, 2010

I don't believe censorship in the arts is right, but I believe monitoring is. We should watch what we are showing to what age range. I am pretty big into media and I know what the negative affects of showing young children uncensored arts can be. However, I am huge into the arts and believe artistic expression is gravely important. So i am not sure where I sit. On the fence I guess.

Member Profile alisonp PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Mary Ruth Ramos

Gender & Age: Female, 24
Province/State: Baguio
City: Baguio
Jan 30, 2010

I think we should not really censor media arts because it tells us reality. I mean why would you censor books that talk about sex when that is just a normal part of life right? Even songs with double meanings should not be banned because children who hear them doesn't think about the sexual content of the song. Like there's a song about a banana here in the Philippines, the song tells how yummy the banana is. To a child it's just a banana but to adults it pertains to something else. So the kids here knowing that there must be something about it started asking about it.It's only the adults who give meanings to them. Indie films are sometimes not shown because it was censored. Haven't they realized that the more they try to censor these stuff the more cases of teenage pregnancy and HIV-AIDS are recorded? They spark the imagination of teens because they make a big deal out of it by keeping it to them rather than telling them the truth about it.

This post was edited on: 2010-01-30 at 07:36 AM by: Vivknox

Member Profile Vivknox PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Dana Gana

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Female, 24
Province/State: Rizal
City: Pasig
Feb 16, 2010

Censorship.. is like avoidance..

If the schools do the censorship in arts.. it doesn't mean that they are limiting what the students would learn,,

it's just that these things are not appropriate to be learned in school.

schools do these, because of their standards and besides we must bear in mind that school is the foundation of education therefore they should make sure that the students are learning the good manners and right conduct..

but we cannot say that the this is applicable all the time.. that is where the role of the teachers come in... It is them who will guide the students in learning ,, and it up to them if they would let the students think of malicious things..

like in Arts subject.. sculptures of david and adam are nude but still the students would have to see it in order to appreciate the art form..

it takes a lot of circumstances. we must not stick with just one idea rather think out of the box.

Member Profile danagana PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
peacewarrior123

Gender & Age: Female, 20
Feb 24, 2010

i hear u on that one. They say that it is for our own good but is it really? Imagine our library's without cencorship. wow.cool

Member Profile peacewarrior123 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Lily Woodruff

Gender & Age: Female, 19
City: Toronto
Feb 24, 2010

I think that schools should not censor books, and music. I think that by doing that, the schools ARE taking from kids' freedom. Some kids are alot less mature, however, and I think that the schoolboard is just assuming that all kids are imature, therefore the censorship. oviously, the school board is wrong. again. but movies, maybe movies should be censored for the younger grades (jk-8). in high school to university, they shouldn't be. but in elementary they maybe should because if its visual, then the kids may be disturbed, mentally. now, I'm only 12, but, I would still be able to watch an uncensored movie, because I'm capable of understanding, but I know some people in grade 12, even, who would not be able to sustain normal life after the movie. so, I guess that it would all depend on the maturity of the student. but i still think that it is art. it is what it is. smile

Member Profile Icecat PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Katherine

Mar 15, 2010

It depends on the situation and the age of children. Of course elementary students do not need to know all the gruesome occurrences in the Holocaust or other serious events, but, at the same time, that event should not be completely hidden from them; as with everything moderation is key. Now if a school chooses to not stock books that may cause issues among the students like books about race superiority or something, then I think that is ok, but the actual topic of race superiority, and how it does not exist because we are equal, should be taught.

Member Profile animalrights89 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Michael

Province/State: District of Columbia
City: Washington
Mar 16, 2010

I not only worry about censorship in the arts, but the lack of arts education in general. I think the arts is a core subject in a student's education and should not be removed from the curriculum.

Member Profile YourIdeasCount PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM