Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »
Author

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Gender & Age: Female, 47
Re: Censorship in the arts
Sep 20, 2009

It is very sad how much censorship there is in the arts. The arts are meant for freedom of expression. Censors should find an art that meshes with them instead of censoring.
Forex
Investment Manager

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile mpcapital PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
jodevizes

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Sep 27, 2009

The trouble is that people have too much time on their hands and need to fill it. Getting in a lather about something is perfect for them.
There was a case where a quite famous and hugely paid TV presenter Jonathon Ross, went onto a radio show hosted by Russell Brand. Brand had had a relationship with the grand daughter of "Manuel" from Fawlty Towers and they thought it would be a good idea to phone him and leave some quite disgusting messages on his answerphone. I believe drink may have been taken. I think it was a rather nasty thing to do but none of my business.
This was live radio and the BBC received 2 complaints. Yes 2 complaints, much less than some other quite innocuous programs and I believe, much less that Russel Brand usually gets. However, it was taken up in a Sunday newspaper and the BBC received a flood of complaints from people who had not even heard it.

Brand and his producer resigned and Ross was suspended but it is strange that so many people can be upset by things they have not experienced. They must wake up in the morning wondering how they can get upset that day and what they can try to get banned or censored.

How sad to go to sleep, worried that they have not been shocked or embarrassed during the day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Jo Devizes knows a womens website that is rather good.

Member Profile jodevizes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
s_ankh

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Province/State: Al Qahirah
City: Cairo
Sep 27, 2009

it all depends on the age group.

censorship is a plague though. Art is free ... should always be free . and censorship should be from within . great art is nothing but a response to the world's bigotry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
ankh

Member Profile MoonSunGate PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
jodevizes

Gender & Age: Female, 33
Province/State: London (City of)
City: London
Oct 1, 2009

We should also consider that the arts themselves censor and distort. Take the Hollywood film industry, looking at the war films you would think that America was out there fighting Hitler every inch of the way with John Wayne and the rest. In reality many right winged Republicans quietly supported Hitler and America was quite content to sit around and watch Europe fall beneath the Fascist jack boot.
If the puffed up delusional Japanese Emperor hadn't attacked Pearl Harbour, I would be writing this in German.

Another Hollywood film suggested that it was the American Navy that got the Enigma machine when they weren't even in the war at that time.

A new film coming out, White Lightning has a scene when the woman comes in with a bag of eggs, the guy says I hope they aren't those slimy eggs. In reality the guy in question, holds a knife to her throat, in the movie it is turned into a comedic/sexual encounter.

There are so many instances that we really must be careful that the film industry doesn't re-write history altogether.

The USA will not get to see a film on the life of Charles Darwin because no distributor can be found because they are scared that the cinemas may get burned down for showing a film.

What a bunch of scaredy cats, land of the free, don't make me laugh.
Jo Devizes knows a womens website that is rather good.

Member Profile jodevizes PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
sumitran

Oct 6, 2009

hii.......

http://www.google.com

Member Profile sumitran PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Stephane

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male, 24
Province/State: British Columbia
City: Nanaimo
Oct 8, 2009

ummm...

What does this have to do with this thread?
Stephane

Member Profile Taihus PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Corinne

Province/State: Florida
City: Orlando
Oct 12, 2009

I have a hard time believing in the idea of censorship. In general i tend to think its wrong, but in some cases i can see the advantage of protecting children from more mature topics. Its very hard to define art, what i consider art may be very different than what someone else may see. So i cant really say i dont believe in censorship in the arts when i believe music played on the radio should be censored for childrens sake. And most people consider music to be art. Its another slippery slope, where do we draw the line? I admit im hypocritical when i comes to topics like this, i love the idea of freedom and artistic liberty but in actuality i agree that some art should be censored for children.

Member Profile cdepue PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Justine

Poster Rank:

Gender & Age: Female, 26
Province/State: Florida
City: Orlando
Oct 20, 2009

I don't believe anything with artistic or scientific value should be censored.

There is a difference between art being the focus of something inappropriate and art being the focus of something educational. The boundaries of the word "inappropriate" are sometimes stretched too far.

Regarding schools, I think there should be certain materials allowed at each age-level group. If parents do not want their children to see something they may deem inappropriate and society does not, they can simply write to the teacher and request their child does not see it.

Member Profile xmystaticheart PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Stephane

Oct 20, 2009

I think the idea of something being "mature" is relative. For one thing, different cultures must be factored in. also, what might be mature for an adult might not even matter to a child. A naked person is just a naked person to a child, what's all the fuss about? however, by child I am referring to <12. After that, it gets a bit more controversial.
Stephane

Elaine Cohen

Gender & Age: Female, 58
Nov 4, 2009

October 1, 2009 - 02:53 PM

attacked Pearl Harbour,
I would be writing this in German.

Jo Devizes .

Great Post

But do not forget
that Time mag
had Hitler as the Prince of Peace
a man for the People
the usa thought he was GREAT

Until their favorit Holiday spot
was attacked, Pearl Harbor

Then the USA got busy

It was a Canadain at that working with the Presedeint getting him up to speed with was going on

Those NEW movies are Offensive
to see some History that has meaning

to steal the Glory of those who stood for Freedom from the START,

Was worth of being Censored, but I do not believe in Censorship

I believe in not paying to see a Film that is ofensive, and to be sure that those movies that are coming out

Do make the industry wealthy
so they can make more, just for money

once again Great Post

E

This post was edited on: 2009-11-04 at 11:08 AM by: Edenstory

This post was edited on: 2009-11-04 at 11:10 AM by: Edenstory

Member Profile Edenstory PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jesus

Gender & Age: Male, 26
Province/State: Arizona
City: Tucson
Nov 10, 2009

Art is a form of expression and should not be censored. Everyone has the right to express their toughts and visions in their own unique way and should not be censored because someone else has a different perspective on it.

Member Profile giron09 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Stephane

Nov 10, 2009

giron09 wrote:

Art is a form of expression and should not be censored. Everyone has the right to express their toughts and visions in their own unique way and should not be censored because someone else has a different perspective on it.

Just an observation: first off, I totally agree. However,I've noticed that quite a few people are basically saying the exact same thing, of which this is an excellent example. C'mon, people! A bit of originality: examples? slightly more elaborate arguments?
Stephane

GuitarGod

Gender & Age: Male, 23
Province/State: Alberta
City: Calgary
Dec 14, 2009

I don't believe that art should be censored. It's a beautiful thing a lot of the times, and deserves to be heard/seen by anyone who wants to see it. It's important in this age of technology to remember how beautiful things can be. I would never want to hear a censored song or have artwork censored in a book. Not only will the artist's work be for nothing, but no one will get to enjoy the beauty in it.

Member Profile GuitarGod PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Denis Nyakach

Gender & Age: Male, 35
Province/State: Nyanza
City: Kisumu
Dec 15, 2009

I highly support censorship. But it beats me that the authorities ain't doing enough to ensure that some of these censored books/content reach the young generation. Explicit content is just no no!
How can we build a world built on a quicksand of inequality?

Member Profile kach PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Stephane

Dec 15, 2009

If someone is going to give a substantial argument, they need to provide examples. Without examples it just looks like people are saying the same thing over and over again. Is there a piece of beautiful art that you know of which had been censored? Why is explicit content a no no? Come on! Put some effort into this!
Stephane

« BACK TO FORUM