TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesPeace & ConflictDid Mohammed preach peace or terrorism?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages «  1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Re: Did Mohammed preach peace or terrorism?
Sep 4, 2009

Regarding the original SALADIN.

Here is an excerpt from a relevant article titled The Crusades for Jerusalem.

During the Dark Ages, Christians simply ignored many of the universal teachings of Jesus, and instead focused on the doctrine of preeminence and superiority with which they were thoroughly indoctrinated. In that respect, they were much like the American “Christian Right” of today. That is why eleventh century “Christians” launched the Inquisition and then the Crusades against Islam.

According to many historians, the Siege of Jerusalem in 1099 by Christian Crusaders was part of the first crusade, and they conquered and took control of Jerusalem. But the “Christian” Kingdom of Jerusalem that grew after that conquest was gradually weakened by corruption and internal disputes. Consequently, the Christians were completely defeated in 1187 by the Muslim leader Saladin, who took most of the Christian nobility of the kingdom as prisoners, and throughout the summer Saladin quickly took control of Jerusalem and other areas.

However, it should be noted that Saladin was merciful, and treated the Christian prisoners well. And even when Saladin had taken Acre, Nablus, Jaffa, Toron, Sidon, Beirut and Ascalon by mid-September in 1187, he behaved the same way, and he was regarded even by Europeans as a noble and merciful warrior.

The same cannot be said of Richard “The Lion Heart,” King of England, who in 1191 led the third Christian Crusade against Saladin in an attempt to retake Jerusalem. Richard in fact slaughtered thousands of Muslim prisoners he had taken. And even though Richard scored a victory over Saladin’s forces in Jaffa, his crusade failed to take Jerusalem, just as the second one had.

After the fourth and fifth Christian Crusades failed, a sixth Crusade was waged by German Emperor Frederick II, who in 1223 took his Crusader vow in the presence of the Catholic Pope. He massed his army in 1227, and he set sail for the Mid-East. Ironically, illness plagued his troops, so there was a delay so long that the Pope excommunicated Frederick. He assembled a second army anyway, and finally sailed again in 1228. But when Frederick arrived in the “Holy Land,” he found he didn’t have the power to accomplish much. Because of his own lack of forces, and because of the lack of forces of the Muslim leader, Al-Kamil, there were no “grand battles,” no epic struggles, no fight to the death over Jerusalem.

Fredrick did, however, manage to reach an agreement with Al-Kamil, and they signed a treaty, the result of which was that Jerusalem was returned to the Christians, along with some other cities and areas. Frederick was granted the right to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem if he so chose. In return, the Muslims were to retain possession of the Dome of the Rock and the Mosque al-Aqsa in Jerusalem, and were to be allowed free access to and within the city. Al-Kamil got a ten-year truce out of the deal, which meant he would have the freedom to concentrate on re-uniting Syria with Egypt.

Not long after that, though, after the Siege of Jerusalem in 1244 by Muslim forces, Jerusalem was once again recaptured from the Christians (to whom it had been given by treaty). And, to make a long story shorter, that’s the way it’s gone ever since.

Quoted from The Crusades for Jerusalem, by Joseph J. Adamson, who goes on to discuss the history since then, particularly the events of 1917, 1948, and 1967.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile abbarighton PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Saladin

Poster Rank: Blabbermouth
Virtual Volunteer

Gender & Age: Male, 33
Province/State: Al Qahirah
City: Cairo
Mohammed preached peace not terrorism
Sep 4, 2009

Very insightful comments on Saladin, the great Muslim leader..thank you for sharing them.

Regards,

Ayman

Member Profile aymanelhakea PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
abbarighton

Sep 4, 2009

aymanelhakea wrote:

Very insightful comments on Saladin, the great Muslim leader..thank you for sharing them. Regards, Ayman

You're welcome. And thank you for saying so.

If you've perused Adamson's web site, or if you do, you will find that his work can go a long way toward creating understanding and equality of religions.

Christians and Jews need to understand true Islam, just as the seven percent of Muslims who've been misled need to understand true Islam.

Adamson shares the following in his article titled Divided Islam vs True Islam:

To understand why Muslims in Islam are divided, and particularly to understand the real problem between the Shiites and the Sunnis, we need to understand some important parts of the history of Islam. And, more importantly, Americans need to understand what True Islam is really about.

This is important because most Americans know nothing about true Islam, and many Americans have been led to believe that most Muslims hate America and want it destroyed. That is not true. Surveys have shown that most Muslims do not hate the American people, and that they actually admire America for its technology, democracy and freedom of speech.

For example, Georgetown University Professor John Esposito, and Dalia Mogahed, executive director of the Gallup Center for Muslim Studies, helped organize a survey and published their findings into a new book, Who Speaks for Islam? What a Billion Muslims Really Think. It is based on a Gallup Poll, the largest of its kind, which surveyed some 50,000 Muslims in more than 35 countries. It asked questions about gender, race, terrorism, the separation of church and state, and the prospects of peace with the West.

This research shows that most Muslims in the world admire the West for its technology and democracy. They support freedom of speech, the rule of law, and the transparency of government. Even in places like Iran and Saudi Arabia, only very small percentages said they admired nothing about the West. But what most of them disliked most about the West is the lack of proper judgment and restraint. (And no wonder.)

However, the most important thing Americans should understand about Muslims is that ONLY SEVEN PERCENT of Muslims think that the al Queda attacks on the U.S. on September 11, 2001 were completely justified. Furthermore, even those seven percent of Muslims do not think there is any religious justification for suicide bombers and their attacks on civilians. Instead, their attitudes are more revolutionary, in the sense that they are against military imperialism and occupation of Muslim lands by the West, and by Israel. And it is not piety that motivated their responses, but politics and the desire for independence, autonomy, and respect.

Another important thing to understand is that very few of that seven percent are actually the terrorists who do the killing. The leaders who incite murderous terrorist groups are a but a very few, self-important, deluded, power-hungry hotheads. But, it is important that we understand that seven percent of Muslims is 100 million people, and they are sympathetic to those terrorists who are willing to die to fight Israeli and American occupation and imperialism.

That is why Americans and Israelis need to fully understand that, and redress the grievances that so many Muslims have (see the page on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict). For only when amends are made and Muslim grievances are redressed, and only when the minority of misguided Muslims follow True Islam rather than bigoted, hypocritical hatemongers and warmongers, will we have peace.

Saladin

Virtual Volunteer

Sep 5, 2009

It is based on a Gallup Poll, the largest of its kind, which surveyed some 50,000 Muslims in more than 35 countries. It asked questions about gender, race, terrorism, the separation of church and state, and the prospects of peace with the West.

While this survey is the largest of its kind, I'd be very interested to know in which 35 countries was it carried out. Muslims live in 200+ countries accross the globe; meaning that the 35 countries would not really indicate the full picture. Moreover, a sample of 50,000 Muslims from a world Muslim population of 1,200,000,000 represents a mere 0.4 %. Hence, for example, concluding that SEVEN percent of ALL Muslims support the 9-11 attacks is hardly accurate, espeially if most of the 50,000 who were surveyed were from countries like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Palestine, Iran or Saudi Arabia.

This post was edited on: 2009-09-05 at 06:58 AM by: aymanelhakea

abbarighton

Sep 5, 2009

aymanelhakea wrote:

It is based on a Gallup Poll, the largest of its kind, which surveyed some 50,000 Muslims in more than 35 countries. It asked questions about gender, race, terrorism, the separation of church and state, and the prospects of peace with the West.

While this survey is the largest of its kind, I'd be very interested to know in which 35 countries was it carried out. Muslims live in 200+ countries accross the globe; meaning that the 35 countries would not really indicate the full picture. Moreover, a sample of 50,000 Muslims from a world Muslim population of 1,200,000,000 represents a mere 0.4 %. Hence, for example, concluding that SEVEN percent of ALL Muslims support the 9-11 attacks is hardly accurate, espeially if most of the 50,000 who were surveyed were from countries like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Palestine, Iran or Saudi Arabia.

This post was edited on: 2009-09-05 at 06:58 AM by: aymanelhakea

I don't know which countries were the 35 that were surveyed. But, whichever they were, the point is probably valid. And that is that most Muslims honor the words of the prophet Muhammad, who commanded Muslims to speak with great courtesy to Jews and Christians, because they "all believe in the same God." (29:46)

Most Muslims understand that the Qur'an condemns violence and aggression, and holds that killing is always a great evil (2:190 and 2:217). Moreover, they know that even though the Qur'an does permit a war of self-defense to fight foreign invasion and persecution, when the Prophet Mohammed wrote it, one of his main purposes was precisely to stop indiscriminate killing.

In other words, good Muslims, like good Jews and good Christians, understand the universal truths, and they are therefore humble, gentle, peaceful, and faithful.

Unfortunately, misguided Muslims, Jews and Christians are proud and militant and betray God and their religion. They are bigots and hypocrites, and they will be exposed and rebuked by the Spirit of truth.

Saladin

Virtual Volunteer

Sep 6, 2009

Moreover, they know that even though the Qur'an does permit a war of self-defense to fight foreign invasion and persecution, when the Prophet Mohammed wrote it, one of his main purposes was precisely to stop indiscriminate killing.

The Prophet (s) did not actually "write" the Qur'an, as he was illiterate. Muslims condone that the Qur'an was revealed to Muhammad (s) who then orally transmitted it to his companions, who had written it on leather, paper, and rock, before Abu Bakr, the first Caliph, came and regrouped the whole Qur'an into the Mus-haf.

Nevertheless, your point is certainly correct: The vast majority of Muslims want peace not war, in contrast to a tiny minority, that I'm sure it is a way less than the 7% figure indicated in the statistics you've just shown.

This post was edited on: 2009-09-10 at 09:04 AM by: aymanelhakea

zarrina

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Province/State: Bashkortostan
City: Usakly
Jun 4, 2012

How are you doing today
How are you doing today, i hope every things is ok with you as its my
pleasure to contact you after
viewing your profile in this site which really interest in me having communication with you,if you will have the desire with me so that we can get to know each other better and see what will happen in future. i will be very happy if you can write me through my email for easiest communication and to know all about each other ok,
here is my email. i will be waiting to hear from you,
your new friend zarrina.
zarrinasaabira@yahoo.com

Member Profile zarrina200 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Rosa Thompson

Jan 13, 2013

I've never read the Quran but I have to believe that there is hope for peace. Not all muslims are terrorist. If you look at the past of most terrorist groups you would see that their countries have been torn apart by war. That hate and anger is coming from somewhere. There has been so much blood shed on both sides of this. I choose peace everyday so I know it is possible.

Member Profile purposedriven32 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Saladin

Virtual Volunteer

Jan 17, 2013

purposedriven32 wrote:

I've never read the Quran but I have to believe that there is hope for peace. Not all muslims are terrorist. If you look at the past of most terrorist groups you would see that their countries have been torn apart by war. That hate and anger is coming from somewhere. There has been so much blood shed on both sides of this. I choose peace everyday so I know it is possible.

Perfectly true Rosa.

Farhad

Gender & Age: Male, 65
Apr 1, 2013

foster88 wrote:

....because the quran indicates that a lot of his teachings fall under the banner of 'terrorism' while many modern day followers insist he was a man of peace, and that the actions of radical muslims are not true to Islam.

..how can these two viewpoints be reconciled and can muslims and non-muslims ever reach a common consensus on this question?

Foster claims the above and then mentions some words of Koran as proofs. After receiving criticism Foster on Aug 11 2009 gives the following post;
“I believe Muhammed taught some peaceful things but some bad things, including terrorism.
There's definitely some instances of Mohammed preaching violence against others, those cannot be denied.
This is having serious repercussions in modern times as we can all witness every time where hear about another bombing against a mosque, etc.”

My comment:
Either Moses and Jesus or Mohammad are not responsible for believers’ acts of violence. Many believers of various religions have interpreted the religious guides and orders for the sake of keeping power and wealth. It is not easy to make such claims as Foster has done without learning all the corners of religions. Understanding true teachings of prophets of God needs the use of mind, logic and definitely heart. If hearth is left useless, then violence and even crime may appear instead of peace. Besides to understand Koran sometimes we have to understand it underneath of the surface. Even in the Western literature and philosophy, not all issues are apparent and so easily understood.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Farhad

This post was edited on: 2013-04-04 at 02:34 AM by: Farhad

This post was edited on: 2013-04-04 at 10:56 AM by: Farhad

Member Profile farhadmiriany PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
amnice111

Province/State: Kentucky
City: New
Apr 27, 2017

Sell cc Fullz cc dumps paypal bank login contact me for deal
YH:selltax
Gmail:sellfullz

Member Profile amnice111 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM