TIGed

Switch headers Switch to TIGweb.org

Are you an TIG Member?
Click here to switch to TIGweb.org

Home Community Discussion BoardsIssuesMillennium Development GoalsThe Millennium Development Goals - What Can I do for my country?

« BACK TO FORUM

Discussion Boards Guidelines Discussion Board Guidelines
FAQ

Thread Pages 1 2  »
Author

Poster Rank: Talkative

Gender & Age: Male & 36
Province/State: Greater Accra
City: Accra
The Millennium Development Goals - What Can I do for my country?
Nov 22, 2007

Is it only the Government of our various Countries that are to be responsible for this?

I want your views on it.

back to top  |   link to this post
Member Profile addaemichael PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Korede David Faleye

Poster Rank: Soft-spoken

Gender & Age: Male, 45
Re: The Millennium Development Goals - What Can I do for my country?
Nov 24, 2007

We also have a roel to play in this.smile

Member Profile kingfisher001 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Tosin O.

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

Gender & Age: Female, 36
Province/State: Lagos
Dec 3, 2007

I feel there are lots we can do likewise in making the MDGs a reality.

We can get started here: http://www.takingitglobal.org/action/commit/. by making necessary committments/pledgesstick out tongue

Together, we can change the world.

Peace Out!

Member Profile Olowotee PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
IKLAGA GABRIEL INALEGWU

Poster Rank: Tongue-tied

Dec 6, 2007

I encourage all Nigerian youth to aim at making our dear and great nation to be ranked among the top 10 nations in the world in terms of wealth output,this ambition looks and sound lofty but with unity peace and progress nothing is impossible,plus the fact that we are ranked as one of the most God fearing people on earth,lets make the rule of law not only some written constitutional theory but the code of conduct by which we all live by.Nigeria has all the potentials of greatness including you my fellow Nigerian youth so lets strive to make the Nigeria of our dreams come to reality............GAB INA IKLAGA

Member Profile iklagastuffz PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Uvin

Poster Rank: Chatterbox

City: Colombo
Feb 17, 2010

Yes we can do many things for our country..

You can do sports, invent and bring glory to your country..

But we also need to concentrate on the discipline and progress of the children as they are the worlds future. if they get a good foundation the whole world will be made a better place..

Please comment

Uvin Madurapperuma

Member Profile uvin PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Korey Anthony Chisholm

Gender & Age: Male, 30
Province/State: New York
City: New York
Apr 2, 2010

I must say once we all agree on teh Goals i feel a country is responsiable not teh government they have a responisable how ever the populace can and are better positioned to response to their needs and take action for the development in general,

I feel their is a barrier to this since Human rights are not respected and hence people just leave up to their governments in other places Government surpassed community action and Leadership because of powder ,....

regards Friends
Korey

Member Profile cutekorey19 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
takondwa kaliwo

Gender & Age: Female, 32
Province/State: Blantyre
City: Blantyre
May 13, 2010

i think not only the government has the responsibility to achieve this... all of us has the responsibility to ensure that everyone is doing something to achieve the MDG's....... NGO,s have a role to play as well but even individuals. for instance i am very interested in the MDG8 of creating a global network for development... as much as possible i try to apply for fellowships, subcribe to networks, be invilved in forums that that people from different regions and countries of the world to know more and learn more from this global resource of different people. i have also made a committment to learn more about other cultures, other religions othar people who have different values and beliefs than mine..... i know alone i can not make the MDG8 be achieved but if more people do the little that i am doing.. we might be able to create a global network for developemt. so i believe all of us has the responsibility to implement the MDGs... we might not have the capacity, the expertise nor the forum to make a huge impact... but the least we can do... will definately means something....

Member Profile takondwa PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
maxwell Adeo Adew

Province/State: Western Cape
City: Cape Town
May 22, 2010

i keep saying one thing let be part of the change we want to see in our country and the entire globe. in whichever way we can our affect our world it definately start from us as an individual.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
Adeoya w

Member Profile walexngng PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Linh

Province/State: Krung Thep
City: Bangkok
Nov 4, 2013

Half the population of the developing countries lack basic sanitation. To achieve the Millennium Goals, between 2005 and 2015, 1.6 billion people who need regular access to sanitation has improved
cong bo chat luong san pham, khac dau

Member Profile linhpn1810 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Dannielle

Province/State: Ontario
City: Barrie
Nov 19, 2014

Millennium Development Goals are something that has been discussed in my Global Nursing Class. For someone like myself who has been extremely uneducated on the governments plans I would like to discuss the approach as a future nurse. There are many things that I believe as individuals we can do to support these MDG's. Everyone plays a different role especially when we all have such different lifestyles and careers. However from a nurses perspective I believe that it is important to educate and have the nurses educating those who are uneducated on the subject. Networking and sharing ideas is often the best way to get a point across. We can also research and be our own advocates, understand these issues on a global issue not just focusing on whats in front of us. Through evidence based practice in a nursing perspective I believe that each individual can contribute but we have to be educated first. For those of us who have been unaware of the issue and the United Nations goals it is extremely difficult to contribute to something we do not understand.

Member Profile dbowman9 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jessica P

City: Toronto
Nov 21, 2014

Although nurses definitely have a role in helping developing countries reach Millennium Development goals, I still believe it is the government's overarching responsibility to make sure these goals are met. This is because the government has the ability to create healthy public policy, which would provide much-needed support to society’s social infrastructure. The creation of healthy public policy would also positively affect the social determinants of health, subsequently improving the health status of thousands of people. It is hard for individualistic efforts to make a difference when the overarching social infrastructure is set up to profit large corporations at the expense of the working poor population.

Member Profile Nursejess PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Jerrad

City: Burlington
Nov 22, 2014

UN developed a shared vision and responsibility to achieve worldwide economic stability, social development, human dignity, and equity. I am currently researching Sierra-Leone who has been hard stricken by many disparities, warfare, and diseases. For Leoneans’ achieving MDGs does not solely rest in the hands of the government but requires all levels from; slum dwellers, health care workers, policy makers, up to global initiatives. Yes, it is the government’s job to make available and allocate resources in areas of concern but it is the health care workers duty to identify disparities and implement interventions to achieve the desired MDGs.

Member Profile mckinlj PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Candice

City: Newmarket
Nov 23, 2014

Although the government plays an important role in the passing and implementation of public policy that would lead us to achieve the millennium development goals, I believe it is also our duty as individuals to campaign and speak out for the necessary policies that will allow Canada to reach its millennium goals. As a future nurse in Canada I need to educate myself on the existing strategies and programs, evaluate their success to date and take action if they fall short on expectations. An example can be looking at the anti poverty strategies and programs set up to reduce poverty. Is the minimum wage enough to elevate poverty? Why are the Native Indians still living in such poverty? The government that is in power tend to pass policies that would benefit their economic supporters. As an individual we must take action and represent those without the power and voice. It is only then that public policy will change and goals be met.

Member Profile Candice500 PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Sherry

Province/State: New York
City: Ontario
Nov 24, 2014

As I future health care provider here in Canada, I think it is important for me to first be more aware of what it's millennium development goals and and what the countries needs are. By engaging in the latest news, statistics and strategies to meet the millennium development goals, I will then be able to participate in information sharing to both fellow health care providers and Canadians. . by engaging in the latest news, statistics and strategies to meet the millenium development goals, I will then be able to participate in information sharing to both fellow health care providers and Canadians.

Nurses have access to very diverse patients from various age groups, cultures, and socioeconomic statuses. In many cases we are the gateway to change for these populations, and must therefore be knowledgeable on what must be done to progress towards the achievement of these millennium goals. By educating one patient at a time, nurses can engage in thorough health and wellness advocacy as well as the importance of accessing vital services to support and empower persons within Canada.

Member Profile szboyce PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER
Alicia Pimentel

City: Collingwood
Nov 24, 2014

In my opinion, no, it is not only the government’s responsibility to ensure/assist in achieving the Country’s millennium development goals. For instance, Goal #1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger. These things exist right here in Canada, as well as in developing countries. In order to help achieve this goal here at home, you have to raise awareness. Volunteering your time, networking, fundraising, and opening up the eyes of others to this problem can go a long way. People cannot change what they are not aware of, so I feel this is important. Join your local shelter in serving meals, or go further and donate your time to speaking in your community and raising support to have the government increase the minimum wage. Every little bit helps, and one person can have a large impact.

Member Profile aliciajp PROFILE TIG Messenger TIG MESSENGER

« BACK TO FORUM